Images, hosts, and #$^@& FRUSTRATION (be gone!) [A how-t

If you have questions about how to use the message board, ask here.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Images, hosts, and #$^@& FRUSTRATION (be gone!) [A how-t

Postby Mark » Sat Jan 29, 2005 10:21 am

Ok.. So, a lot of you out there have not had experience with hosting images/posting them to a message board. Some common problems:

1) Your image is on your hard drive, and you dont know how to get it on the web.

2) Your image hosting service does not allow for direct linking, and/or indirect linking without the viewer having an account (ex- yahoo, snapfish).

3) You arent linking properly in your message.

Well, I am here to dispel all the rumors, put your minds at ease, and take you on a fantastic journey.. well.. maybe not that last part, but lets see how this goes.

Ok, so you got that new digital camera for Christmas (or Hanukkah, Kwanza, Ramadan, New Years, Chineese New Years.. oh.. whatever, it doesnt matter WHY you got it.. you got it!! YAY!). Now, your Britt was balancing a spoon on his nose, while running on top of a ball, juggling milk bones with his front paws, and the world has GOT to see this!! So, you snap a perfect photo (which also happens to have the ghost of Elvis in the background, descending from a confirmed UFO), but that darn picture is on your hard drive, and you cant get it on the message board! What to do?? WHAT TO DO??

The first thing you need to do is get the image available to the web. This can be done in numerous ways.

METHOD 1
First, your ISP may have some web space allocated for each user. Most do, and they have a web upload option. You'll have to search your ISPs documentation, and call their tech support, to see 1) where their space is, 2) how you get to it. Many will require you to use an "FTP" software. A good one for windows is WSFTP, and for you fellow Mac users out there (be proud..) there is rBrowser. Simply log in to your ISPs site with the ftp client (find directions on how to do this on your ISPs home page), and upload the files.

METHOD 2
Option 2, is a free image hosting service called "ImageShack". The location is: http://www.imageshack.us/ . You go to that url, and click the "Browse" button. Locate the image file on your hard drive, and select it. Then click the "Host It" button, right under the browse field (which should now contain a bunch of text). After 1sec-5 minutes (depending on how big the image is, and your connection), a screen will come up with some funny looking code. The first line is the basic code, and what you will probably use. Simply copy it, and pasted it in your message, and voilla! Your image will be in the message. This line will look something like this:
Code: Select all
[IMG]http://img197.exs.cx/img197/9093/10000663jp.jpg[/IMG]

There is a second, preferred ;) method for posting larger images. If you scroll down, there is some code for "Hotlink a clickable thumbnail on a forum or message board!" It is some code that looks like this:
[URL=http://img197.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img197&image=10000663jp.jpg][IMG]http://img197.exs.cx/img197/9093/10000663jp.th.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Again, simply paste this in your message, and it will insert a thumbnail, that if you click on it, will take you to the larger version of the image:
^^ Click me!!
There are a couple other services that are available that are similar: http://www.imagezilla.com/ , http://www.imagehosting.us/

METHOD 3
The third method I will cover, is pay-for image hosting. There is one in particular that I like, called "pbase": http://www.pbase.com . pbase is nice, in that it allows you to make galleries, etc.. and you can host multiple sizes of each image. I have used them in the past, and highly recommend them

Now, for those of you who aren't using Method 2, you need to know how to get that pesky image into your message. You will notice, when you are typing a message to the board, that there are some formatting buttons above the big text box where you type the message. One of these buttons says "Img". The "Img" button is your friend. click it once.. go ahead.. it wont bite.. You should see the following code, inserted into your message:
[img]

with the cursor after the [img]. Now, you simply type, or paste in the url to the actual image you uploaded (either to your ISP, or pbase). The url should start with http://, and end with .jpg or .jpeg. In Internet Explorer, you can get the url by right-clicking on the image, and selecting "properties" then triple click the image location, and hit "control-c" to copy it. In Firefox, simply right click, and select "copy image location"

Now, back in your message, paste what you just coped. Hit the "Img*" button, and you are done!

(Random Tangent: Firefox- firefox is a browser located at http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/central.html . If you are sick of all those popups, etc, you might want to give it a try. It is what I use, and I LOVE it. Be warned, there are some banking sites, etc, that wont work with firefox, so you may have to use Internet Exporer for a few things, but for day-to-day surfing, firefox is untouchable!)

So, to recap-

If you have NO idea what you are doing with all this image hosting stuff, use METHOD 2. It is the easiest way. Some quick pros/cons for the various methods:

ISP Hosting:
Pros- It is space you are already paying for, so why not use it? It is also very flexible in what you can upload, link to.
Cons- You probably have to use an ftp client to upload, which can be a pain. You are also probably limited in the amount of space you have for pictures.

Image Shack:
Pros- VERY VERY EASY! Automatically Generates the code for your message, including code for linked thumbnails (nice for large images, hint hint!).
Cons- It could disappear some day, but probably not. You are limited to 1024k images.

Pbase:
Pros- Very fast server. Auto generates thumbnails, and various sizes of your images. Lets you create some VERY nice, and flexible galleries. Extremely easy to upload to.
Cons- Its costs a little bit of money.

Now that we are going to have lots of people posting images (hopefuly ;) ), Stay tuned for some image posting rules.. we need to keep some order here!!! ;)

Now please keep your seatbelt fastened until the plane comes to a complete stop, and I turn off the seatbelt sign. Ok.. its off now.. Buh-bye.. thanks for flying with us today.. Buh-bye now.. bye.. buh-bye... ....
Wheeeeeeeee!!!

Monty.
He's so hot right now.
Monty.
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Cariboo » Sat Jan 29, 2005 5:56 pm

Cute picture of you carrying monty :lol:
Hi!

I'm Lucky!
Cariboo
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby Andrea B » Mon Jan 31, 2005 1:35 pm

Thanks for your help - I hope this has worked :lol:
Your pals - Bodie, Chester and Sam
Andrea B
Puppy

Postby Barb Wright » Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:06 pm

Bless you, Bless you Oh Great Web Wizard ((((((applauseapplauseapplause)))))

And heeeerrre's Cassie :!:
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13
Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Postby Cariboo » Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:35 pm

By the way, Barb and Mark: are your signature quotes meant to be haikus? :lol: I thought that the format looked supiciously like one!
Hi!

I'm Lucky!
Cariboo
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby Mark » Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:02 pm

Cariboo wrote:By the way, Barb and Mark: are your signature quotes meant to be haikus? :lol: I thought that the format looked supiciously like one!

hehe.. nah.. I just came up with mine from the movie Zoolander:

"Hansel...
He's so hot right now.
Hansel."

And then there was the whole "Monty Mug" incident of about a year ago..

Besides, a haiku is 3-5-3 syllables if I am not mistaken. ;)
Wheeeeeeeee!!!

Monty.
He's so hot right now.
Monty.
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Barb Wright » Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:45 pm

Cariboo wrote:By the way, Barb and Mark: are your signature quotes meant to be haikus? :lol: I thought that the format looked supiciously like one!

:P And mine is just a little FRIENDLY mocking :) Mimicry (or a variation thereof) is a sincere form of flattery....hopefully taken in that spirit :wink:
Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Postby Cariboo » Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:01 pm

LOL, yea, I was counting the syllables...and nope :D i guess it isn't a haiku, then! Well, they LOOKED like haikus :lol: !

Barb: LOL. I DID detect some mockery in your signature...friendly, of course :lol: :lol:
Hi!

I'm Lucky!
Cariboo
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby Jen » Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:28 pm

Ok I want to join in the friendly mockery.

Here's mine
Coda - our forever foster dog
Jen
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby Barb Wright » Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:50 pm

Jen: I think Coda is adopted, the paperwork just hasn't been done :P I mean, HE knows where he belongs, and knows how to make it stay that way :wink:
Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Postby Brenda Dom » Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:26 pm

Barb Wright wrote:Jen: I think Coda is adopted, the paperwork just hasn't been done :P I mean, HE knows where he belongs, and knows how to make it stay that way :wink:

Jen, I have to agree with Barb. All we have to do is look at your signature pic. :lol:

Brenda
Kelcy, Susie, Bodie and Max
"Some of us learn forgiveness by studying the lives of saints. And some of us keep dogs. . . ." - Charles Gusewelle
Brenda Dom
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Postby Jen » Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:43 pm

If I had another Britt in the house I'd use their picture, but Coda's the only one in the house right now :cry:

I am still holding on to the hope that there is a family out there(other than mine :wink: ) that is perfect for Coda.

Jen
Coda - our forever foster dog
Jen
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby kat » Wed Feb 02, 2005 7:41 pm

OK, I hope a picture shows up with this, I'm so not computer literate!
kat
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby kat » Wed Feb 02, 2005 7:42 pm

Well, I'l keep trying.
kat
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Cariboo » Thu Feb 03, 2005 4:36 pm

:D that one worked, only you have some extra 's at the end...but i'm sure you can see that, so yea :lol:
Hi!

I'm Lucky!
Cariboo
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Next

Return to Help Desk