Our litter is 4 weeks old!!!

General Brittany Discussion

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Forum rules
Welcome to general discussion!

Did your Britt make you laugh today? Did he do something so smart, you are blown away? Those puppy teeth causing you to tear up, and you need an outlet? Or do you want to post a picture of his or her latest point? This is the place for it!

Re: Our litter is 4 weeks old!!!

Postby NYC John » Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:03 pm

That's a nice looking pup you are getting but I don't think she'll ever be able to dig a hole like your Bernie. I can never get that photo of Bernie out of my head.
NYC John
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Postby Bernie's mom » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:08 pm

OMG NYC John, that you remember our boys' antics makes my heart so happy!
Bernie 11/30/03-12/12/15
Bernie's mom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Bernie's mom » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:14 pm

I am now facebook friends with pink collar girls' mom, and she sent me pics of our pup as she picked up hers today! I sure appreciated the updated pics.
7 weeks old!

Bernie 11/30/03-12/12/15
Bernie's mom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby AuntieMom » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:17 pm

Bernie's mom needs to update us!!! Or is she too busy with a puppy? :wink:
Trapper, CharLee & Kallie
AuntieMom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Bernie's mom » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:12 pm

Thanks to a friendly reminder (thanks AuntieMom!) I got my lazy butt over here to update with pics! Please try to forgive me, we really haven't accomplished much more than meals & showers in the last almost 2 weeks!!!
We picked up our girl on June 12 and got home the next day. We're all learning each others schedules and creating our new routine together.
As long as we people do our job potty training is going well.
We're bitey but we're working on that... otherwise she's just a riot! Grace is most definitely not her middle name, lol! She knows what cookies are now and boy oh boy is she treat motivated! Sit was super duper easy, and she's even starting to retrieve.
You know how we adored our old boy, Bernie, and that is why we wanted a girl, so that a boy didn't grow up in his shadow.... but.... that little girl still carries on for him, as his namesake...

Everyone please welcome...

<3

<3

<3

<3

<3

<3

<3

Bernadette! <3

Bernie 11/30/03-12/12/15
Bernie's mom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby AuntieMom » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:07 pm

Who does not love a Brittany puppy? I knew Bernie’s Mom was getting a puppy even before the litter was conceived. She would not tell the new baby’s name until they got her though. The suspense!!! I had tears when she told me. Was such an honor to Bernie. Little Miss Bernadette is a doll.
Trapper, CharLee & Kallie
AuntieMom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Cindy » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:55 am

Love the name and shout out to Bernie. And that sweet little face well ..... she could bite me any time!!
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Postby gagesbarb » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:06 am

Such a cutie!! We will all wait for her to start digging...I'm sure she'll be proud to carry on Bernie's traditions! :D :D :D
gagesbarb
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby Barb Wright » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:28 am

Bernadette.....Oh WOW, how perfect is that :D And a wonderful tribute to Bernie, a double zing to the heartstrings :D I am so happy for you three, off on a grand journey....don't forget your patience hat :P I wish I could hug those pictures in real life, all three of you :D
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13
Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Postby Bernie's mom » Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:45 pm

Hi!
Little miss has quite the 'tude, lol!
She's still pretty bitey, she goes around behind me & bites my waist, that hurts! About the only thing that works is squeezing her cheeks in so that she bites her cheeks while she bites us. Yelling NO! just makes her bark back! Bully sticks are our friend! She does go sit by the door when shd wants out, but we need to be paying attention. She has even woofed once or twice whixh really gets us hopping!
We're all doing better every day tho, & she's growing too fast.
Bernie 11/30/03-12/12/15
Bernie's mom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Barb Wright » Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:46 pm

Ah, remember the "bitey" stuff is actually invitations to play. Grab a favorite toy and try to divert her for a few minutes....might work to get her off on a different thought wave....maybe, maybe not :P She sounds the smart little cookie, going to be hard to stay ahead of her I'm thinking :P :P
Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Postby Barb Wright » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:31 am

Had another thought too.....the easiest way for a pup to learn bite inhibition is to play with other dogs. They learn "tit for tat" from other puppies and adult dogs set them straight almost right away. Perhaps planning some play dates with other pups would help with the "bitey" problem.
Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Postby gagesbarb » Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:07 pm

Agree with Barb...I help in a puppy kindergarten class and would encourage you to join one asap if you can...absolutely there are some things puppies need to learn from other dogs-- bite inhibition, how to invite play with another dog, how to tell another dog "no." If you can't find a puppy class (using all positive approaches), playing with a reliable older dog can help...however, Bernadette may still have her "puppy license" and the older dog may not correct her...In addition to always having a toy to stick in her mouth, be aware that puppies need a LOT of sleep (18 + hours a day...) Sometimes when they get frenzied, they are tired, but don't know it...then into the crate for a nap...
gagesbarb
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby Bernie's mom » Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:19 pm

To answer your posts...
Our neighbor dog, Rain, has been over a few times now & she is phenominal with our puppy. She's so gentle & playful. She has held Bernie's whole head in her mouth & B settled right down. She can teach B doggy things that we never could.
We are starting puppy classes on tuesday! Our instructors are AKC certified & highly recommended by local friends. My goals, after socialization & learning, is to earn our Star puppy certificate, & also the Canine Good Citizen award.

Now that we're caught up, HAPPY 4TH of July!!!

Bernie 11/30/03-12/12/15
Bernie's mom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby gagesbarb » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:32 am

Sounds perfect!! We also do the Star Puppy program and it is so much fun...As instructors, we love "pass the puppy" where we get our puppy cuddle fix and then, like grandparents, get to give the baby back...and there is nothing better than a group of puppies playing...have fun!!
gagesbarb
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

PreviousNext

Return to General