Our litter is 4 weeks old!!!

General Brittany Discussion

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Forum rules
Welcome to general discussion!

Did your Britt make you laugh today? Did he do something so smart, you are blown away? Those puppy teeth causing you to tear up, and you need an outlet? Or do you want to post a picture of his or her latest point? This is the place for it!

Re: Our litter is 4 weeks old!!!

Postby Bernie's mom » Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:01 am

I'm looking forward to class!
I need to become dominant as B still see's me as a littermate, & I'm sure her biting goes hand in hand with that. Our class is once a week for 4 weeks & classes are one hour. It doesn't seem like much time? I'll report back after our classes!
Bernie 11/30/03-12/12/15
Bernie's mom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Re: Our litter is 4 weeks old!!!

Postby gagesbarb » Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:27 am

Our classes are also an hour...we have one for people only where we go over the principles of training we believe (we use a marker/clicker and rely positive reinforcement) and then 5 sessions with the puppies...we divide our classes into puppy kindergarten (8-16 weeks) and puppy elementary (16 weeks to 6 months)...so people can sign up for multiple 5 week sessions...as in all training classes, the time with us is of course important (especially for puppy play), but we also strive to teach people how they train at home...as one of our senior trainers says, if the puppy is not asleep, you are training :lol: You are on to something when you say B sees you as another dog...we look at it not so much as "dominance," but communication...she is communicating with you as if you were another puppy and will keep up any behavior that "works," i.e. gets her attention, even, unfortunately, if that attention is negative, i.e. yelling at her (she thinks you are barking to play; pushing her "off" when she jumps (she thinks you are playing--watch how other puppies play; etc.). The trick is to teach her those behaviors won't "work," but others will. There are lots of great puppy books--we often suggest Sophia Yin's Perfect Puppy in 7 Days (good book, not so good title) and Social, Civil and Savvy by Laura VanArendonk Baugh...Can't wait to hear how things go...and pictures??
gagesbarb
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Previous

Return to General