Eye Color

General Brittany Discussion

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Forum rules
Welcome to general discussion!

Did your Britt make you laugh today? Did he do something so smart, you are blown away? Those puppy teeth causing you to tear up, and you need an outlet? Or do you want to post a picture of his or her latest point? This is the place for it!

Eye Color

Postby bacaruda » Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:00 pm

Hi all,

Somewhat new to the forum - been lurking for the last few months since my wife and I brought home our Brittany puppy, Maggie. My parents also brought a girl home from the same litter, named Sadie.

I've had two Britts in the past. My parents owned a young Brittany when I was born. Before I was old enough to remember anything, she suddenly went blind. So, I grew up with a sweet, blind Brittany girl named Bailey.

Our family's next Britt, Hayley, was also a wonderful dog, but unfortunately, we failed her in training. We were so used an elderly blind dog that we didn't know how to treat the new puppy. Don't get me wrong, she grew into a great dog that I loved dearly, but I'm determined not to repeat the mistakes we made in the past.

This forum has already been an invaluable resource for us and the new puppies. I don't have much to contribute at this point, but I do have a question about our pup's eye color. I searched the forum but couldn't find much info.

I think every Britt I've seen has eyes that match the darker portions of their coat. Of course, Maggie had bright blue eyes when we brought her home, but they've settled into what I would describe as a light green color. I don't remember it taking this long for the eyes to transition to dark with our other Britt. Here's a couple pics so you can see what I'm talking about:

Is it normal for Britts to have lighter eyes like this, or could they still be changing color at 5 months? I really don't think they've changed color at all in the last two months. Her sis's eyes are darker, but definitely not brown. Just curious - and looking for an excuse to post some photos! :oops: :D

-Lowell
Phx, AZ
bacaruda
Puppy

Postby Mark » Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:09 pm

They'll probably change a little bit more, but not necessarily to his coat color.. Monty went from bright blue as a puppy, to the greenish/hazel at around 4-5 months, then settled on a golden/amber color:

Wheeeeeeeee!!!

Monty.
He's so hot right now.
Monty.
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Cindy » Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:59 pm

She's a beauty! Kayla's eyes are so dark they almost don't show up against the brown on her face. And Jill's are that beautiful amber color.
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Postby adleblanc » Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:05 pm

Welcome to the board. What a pretty girl :D

Andrea
adleblanc
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Postby Barb Wright » Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:12 pm

Hi Lowell.....thanks for coming out of "lurkdom" and sharing your photos of Maggie....She's looks a charmer :D

On the eye color, amber/gold is the most common trait....here is what the AKC Breed Standard says about eyes:

"Eyes--Well set in head. Well protected from briars by a heavy, expressive eyebrow. A prominent full or popeye should be penalized. It is a serious fault in a dog that must face briars. Skull well chiseled under the eyes, so that the lower lid is not pulled back to form a pocket or haw that would catch seeds, dirt and weed dust. Preference should be for the darker colored eyes, though lighter shades of amber should not be penalized."

I think often the liver Britts will have much darker iris color than the amber/gold of the orange Britts, but not necessarily do the eyes always follow the other-than-white coat colors. Maggies' eyes may shade a bit more to amber in the next couple months but I would imagine that by 6-7 months what you see is what you get :) Which seems to be a quite lovely Brittany girl :D
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13
Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Postby Dave » Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:42 pm

Welcome to our discussions :) .
Nice looking pup . :) . Most Brittany I've fostered had gold/ amber eyes , as do my resident Brittanys . 8) Dave
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers
Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Jacksbuddy » Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:07 am

Welcome aboard, good looking pup.
My 5mo still has a hint of blue in his eyes if the lighting is right and you look at the right angle.

"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog."
- Edward Hoagland
Jacksbuddy
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Karen_P » Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:57 am

She's still a baby. Her eyes will continue to darken (some darken up until they're 2 yrs old or so). They should be amber, matching the orange in her coat (or close to it) when she's mature.

She's a cutie!!!
Home of DC Britt Haven's Blaze of Glory
http://www.woodlandbrittanys.com
Karen_P
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Re: Eye Color

Postby stubwaggin » Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:00 am

My liver roan had very blue eyes as a pup, but they changed to the amber at about 6 months. My understanding is that dogs born with the blue eyes are called 'doe eye' and usually go to amber/yellowish- not dark like other Brittany pups.
stubwaggin
Puppy

Postby Pam » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:15 am

All Brittanys are born with blue eyes. All Brittanys, if purebred, eys will turn Amber and darken up to 4 to 5 years old.
Pam
Puppy

Postby AuntieMom » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:34 pm

Our orange and white roan has greenish eyes. All of our other Britts have deep brown eyes, except for our blind Brittany who was born without eyes. (I need to get a new signature pic. Our roan was not even born when this was taken.)
Trapper, CharLee & Kallie
AuntieMom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Return to General