The wasps have to go!

General Brittany Discussion

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Forum rules
Welcome to general discussion!

Did your Britt make you laugh today? Did he do something so smart, you are blown away? Those puppy teeth causing you to tear up, and you need an outlet? Or do you want to post a picture of his or her latest point? This is the place for it!

The wasps have to go!

Postby adele » Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:55 am

We have a wasp nest under our deck in a very awkward spot (gotta crawl on my belly to get to it). Lola has been stung several times - even if she's not bothering them, they go after her. The nest has to go.

I can get some poison that is sprayed from a distance that apparently works perfectly. Thing is, I'm afraid to use poison in a place that Lola can get to very easily but I can't. I don't know how long it'll persist as poison under the deck where Lola often hangs out. Does anyone know a better dog friendly way to get rid of the wasps.
adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby DLDoiron » Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:21 am

I would call a pest control company. I have my yard and around my house sprayed monthly for fleas and other pests. They also get rid of any wasp nests that have formed. I have to keep my dogs in for 2 hours after they spray (winter time is longer). I would let the pros take care of it. Poor Lola getting stung.
Doc, Dazy Dew, & CJ

Diana
DLDoiron
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby CJ » Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:44 pm

I've used that spray stuff myself. We get them (wasps/nests) as well, I just make sure the boys are put away, then spray, and a little while later, I just hose it all down REALLY well (to make sure if they do get into it, it's soooooo dilute that it wouldn't come of anything). Once the water has soaked into the ground I'll let them back out. Haven't seen them show any interest at all in the areas where I've sprayed and hosed. I usually put up wasp traps in the spring but forgot this year. They usually do a great job of reducing the nests when you get them out early enough. Anyway, that's my two cents. But I don't envy having to crawl under to get at them....
CJ
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Postby Catharina » Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:34 pm

When we lived in Oregon, there was a local company that collected wasps for medical purposes (I think they used the poison for something or other). They'd come to your house and remove the wasps for free without spraying anything nasty.

Maybe it's worth asking around if there's anyone like that it your area?
Catharina
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Postby adele » Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:35 am

Poor Lola has sores all over, theres about 15 on her neck and many others scattered on all parts of her body. They're all just scabs now but boy did they go after her!

CJ what kind of pesticide do you use? I did decide to go with a professional because its in such an awkward place that neither my husband nor I wanted to do it. This guy uses some spray that is non-toxic once dried so that seemed like a good choice - and he guarantees his work.

Catharina, that sounds like a great deal. Boy could we supply them with wasps! We just ignored them until Lola came. but obviously that's no longer an option.
Last edited by adele on Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby DLDoiron » Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:42 am

Glad you went with a pro. I wouldn't want to climb under a deck and take a chance on getting stung. Poor Lola getting stung.
Doc, Dazy Dew, & CJ

Diana
DLDoiron
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby CJ » Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:52 pm

I don't remember off hand what it is, but I get it from Home Depot. It comes in a white spray can, black cap, black writing and has a few bugs on the silk screened label. Seems like spectracide comes to mind, but I don't know why. It's a long stream spray, shoots 10-15' very acurately, and I've hit them up to 20' away. It's a very narrow stream so I always wait for them to be all over the nest and then aim for the nest and swirl around it a bit. A dry spray w/ someone else doing it sounds better to me for the place you're dealing with!
CJ
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Postby britts4birds » Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:27 pm

On request a pro should be able to remove the nest. No poison but will probably be a heafty service call fee since they will want to investigate the nest during the day and return after dark to remove it.
Might be easier (and cheaper!) to use a mild ("green") spray like Spectracide and just block off access from the dog to under the deck for a week or two.
Rich
britts4birds
Puppy

Postby harleygrl1219 » Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:40 pm

Poor Lola! You're right the wasps must go!
harleygrl1219
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby jasafar » Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:07 pm

Safety for Mikey has always been a concern for me when spraying... I also don't use weed killer in fear that he may get into it. Last year we had an underground nest of bees or yellowjackets... I was mowing the lawn and a swarm stung me about 10 times. Luckily this year they haven't been back so far in the same place. Before we got Mikey I used to use a foam treatment to get rid of them.

For underground nests, they say one good natural approach is to wait until early morning or late evening when it is cooler outside while they are in their nest. Then pour boiling water into the nest if you know the exact hole they come out of. If you use a chemical approach, probably the best bet is to hose down the treated area afterwards, and leash walk your pup in a different part of the yard for 2 days until it is safer.

(A natural way to kill weeds that is safe for the dogs is to pour rock salt for melting snow on top of the weeds and then heavily water it down...within 2-3 days you will notice them wither away.)
Mikey & Sammie
jasafar
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Re: The wasps have to go!

Postby ethanfedorov » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:12 am

I think you should contact Wasp removal experts, they will definitely provide you the best suggestion or services.
ethanfedorov
Puppy

Return to General