care to share any senior dog tips?

General Brittany Discussion

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Forum rules
Welcome to general discussion!

Did your Britt make you laugh today? Did he do something so smart, you are blown away? Those puppy teeth causing you to tear up, and you need an outlet? Or do you want to post a picture of his or her latest point? This is the place for it!

care to share any senior dog tips?

Postby MaggieRocks » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:41 pm

My Sammy is 14-will turn 15 in July. All in all, he's doing pretty good, although he has been slowing down lately. I'm hoping anyone with "senior" experience will share any tips they've used to make life easier.

We give Sam a daily supplement that we order from Drs. Foster & Smith that has both glucosamine and chondroitin. I don't know how much it helps, but I figure it can't hurt. Our vet took a look at the supplement and said it is a good combination for him.

He seems to really be losing muscle control in his back legs. If he is standing on the kitchen floor, his back legs tend to start sliding out from under him. We have started putting his food bowl on 2 phone books (yes, I know they make raised bowls!!!) and we put the bowl on a braided rug for all his meals. As long as he is standing on the rug, he is fine. We also put rugs by the water bowl and under our kitchen table. When we eat meals, Maggie would always stand by my husband's side and would growl at Sammy if he got near, so he discovered he could stand under the kitchen table and she would leave him alone! Even though Maggie has been gone almost 2 years, he still tends to go under the table when we eat meals. So basically, we have braided rugs scattered here and there all over the kitchen. I'll probably trip over one and break my leg, but Sammy is doing fine!

At night, we've started leaving the light on over the kitchen sink and we've also placed a night light in the hallway because he doesn't seem to see as well anymore. Even when I take him out and it is dusk or the sun is just starting to rise, I will take a flashlight more for him than for me and shine it in front of him. I want to be sure he doesn't miss anything that might be blocking our path.

And my husband found out the hard way that Sam doesn't walk so well in the snow anymore. He used to love the snow! Last snow we got, my husband had Sammy out for a walk and once the snow got stuck to his paws, he just quit walking! My husband had to pick him up and carry him back to the house.

Does anyone have any other tips or ideas to help an old boy age gracefully?
MaggieRocks
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Re: care to share any senior dog tips?

Postby gagesbarb » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:43 pm

no particular tips other than what you are doing...JJ is only 7, but worries about tile floors, so we also have rugs scattered all over...we got memory foam bath rugs at Sam's Club for about $10. They have a non-skid backing, absorb the water the boys drip when they are drinking, and have held up to washing...

He is lucky to have you...obviously, at almost 15, he is thriving on your care :D :D :D
gagesbarb
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby Cindy » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:22 pm

When Kayla became unsteady on her feet and sliding around we started using these great gripper socks. She didn't seem to mind them at all and they are relatively inexpensive (http://dogquality.com/products/grippers). We had a little bit of trouble with them coming off as she went from carpeting to floors so the company send along additional velcro straps which did the trick. This site has some other interesting items for older dogs too, depending on your needs. My vet had recently been to some conference on aging dogs and came back with a supplement regimen which included the following: 1 SamE tablet, 1 Dasaquan (with MSM for soreness), 1 Neutricks tablet (for cognitive health), and a high dose of fish oil(1200 mg 360 mg Omega 3, given twice/day). She said the fish oil was appropriate for ALL of our dogs. That's about all I can offer but will let you know if I come up with anything else.
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Postby MaggieRocks » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:33 am

Hmmm....I'll have to think about those socks. They actually look pretty nice.

I thought of something else my husband does for Sammy. He likes to jump up on the couch and he was getting to the point where he could make it up maybe 3 out of 4 times. So, my husband now removes the middle cushion from the couch! That way, Sam has a space that is a bit lower to jump up, and then he steps up onto the cushion and lays down. (It makes it a little uncomfy to sit there, but what are you going to do? :roll: )

Cindy, I'll have to ask my vet about those supplements next time I take Sam in for a checkup. That's a lot of pills, but if it makes a difference, I guess it would be worth it.
MaggieRocks
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Cindy » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:44 pm

When you talked about the couch it reminded me that we bought a small padded trunk for the end of our bed to help Kayla get up there by herself. The other dogs would never use it but Kayla did. I've seen small stairs that are covered with carpeting for the same purpose. As for the supplements, I just put them in her food and she gulped them down.
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Postby DeceiverBob » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:38 pm

I gave my Chessie the Glucosamine Condroitin supplements when she began showing signs of arthritis. I didn't notice a difference until I ran out and couldn't get any for a few days. That convinced me to keep her on them.
DeceiverBob
Puppy

Return to General