Why do they...

General Brittany Discussion

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Forum rules
Welcome to general discussion!

Did your Britt make you laugh today? Did he do something so smart, you are blown away? Those puppy teeth causing you to tear up, and you need an outlet? Or do you want to post a picture of his or her latest point? This is the place for it!

Why do they...

Postby gagesbarb » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:45 am

Just got back from a walk...about to go do some yard work, but--watching Gage and JJ sniff and sniff and sniff, we noticed that most of the time, they just sniff...often we can see that they are checking out where another dog has peed...other times, who knows, but they love it...occasionally they will lick the grass they are sniffing? I assume something about the smell that is there? anyone know what that is about?

also have to say that JJ was so cute when a cat who was out exploring came up to us and rubbed up against JJ's chin :shock:
he just stood there :D, then sniffed the cat and on we went :lol:
gagesbarb
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Re: Why do they...

Postby AuntieMom » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:28 pm

I have never seen our dogs lick grass but, yes, they sniff. And sniff, and sniff and ∞...

gagesbarb wrote:also have to say that JJ was so cute when a cat who was out exploring came up to us and rubbed up against JJ's chin :shock:
he just stood there :D, then sniffed the cat and on we went :lol:

I had to reread this. JJ let a cat sniff him? Trapper broke a glass table at his first foster mom's house while he was trying to get a cat. I assume, based on that, he would not be nice to kitties. But good on JJ. :o
Trapper, CharLee & Kallie
AuntieMom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Barb Wright » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:20 pm

gagesbarb wrote:...occasionally they will lick the grass they are sniffing? I assume something about the smell that is there? anyone know what that is about?

Just a WAG, but I would imagine that a really "cute" girl left a "pmail" there :lol:

Never forget....the Brittany (along with other sporting/hunting dogs) is a nose on four legs :!: :!: The information out there via the nose of a dog is beyond phenomenal...a patent on that would make you a gazillionaire :lol:
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13
Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Postby Cindy » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:57 am

We've always had cat(s) with dogs and they've all gotten along. But our current cat, Sam, absolutely LOVES the dogs and rubs all over them, between their legs, sniffs noses, etc. I think he'd curl up and sleep with them if they let him. The dogs are funny about it though and just stand perfectly still whenever Sam comes around to rub on them. It's almost like they know that one false move might kill them!! :lol: :lol:
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Postby gagesbarb » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:14 pm

I wondered if a "cute" girl was the source of their interest...
Dog's noses are amazing! in one of our puppy elementary classes (4-6 month old puppies), we had a lab mix who was a diabetic alert dog...he'd only been to a couple of classes, but was usually very calm...that night, we could not get him to settle down...all of a sudden, his mom had an insight--she insisted her husband, the person with the diabetes, check his sugar level...he insisted he was fine, but he did check and sure enough, his levels were off...they had only had this dog a few weeks, so everyone was still learning to communicate...but I found it really impressive that this young puppy could tell his dad's levels were off and in do so in that setting (a room full of playful puppies).
And what species is "higher" up on the evolutionary scale? :roll:
gagesbarb
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Return to General