Grooming A Brittany

General Brittany Discussion

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Forum rules
Welcome to general discussion!

Did your Britt make you laugh today? Did he do something so smart, you are blown away? Those puppy teeth causing you to tear up, and you need an outlet? Or do you want to post a picture of his or her latest point? This is the place for it!

Grooming A Brittany

Postby Karen_P » Wed Jun 09, 2004 12:55 pm

What I can recommend is that you find yourself someone who knows Britts...a breeder who grooms if possible. My dogs have gotten hack jobs at groomers in the past. Had all their furnishings cut off, and their ears trimmed so close that they looked severe. I actually had one groomer cut all of the feathering off of Zach's belly! He didn't even look like a Britt by the time she finished with him.

You may also want to ask if you can watch them groom your dog. Once it's done correctly, it's really easy to do yourself...think of the original cut as a template you can follow in the future. The supplies aren't all that expensive if you shop around. I usually shave Zach down every 2-3 weeks starting in the spring and let his coat grow back in starting in September so he's not freezing in the winter.

A kiddie pool in the yard is also a great idea. The water will need to be changed every couple days, but if it sits in the shade, the dogs may love it. Years ago I had a dobie who would lay in the pool and another that would soak her feet to keep cool.
Karen_P
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby juliette » Wed Jun 09, 2004 1:46 pm

Rebecca wrote:what is the brittany cut?????

I have had a couple of groomers work on my guys, and each has had a slightly different idea of what a "Brittany cut" is, so it is good to ask before hand, so you know what to expect. Generally, it seems to entail cutting them short all around, but leaving the feathers and "skirt" ("heinie-feathers") longer but trimmed up. Some will cut the ears short, others just trim around the edge of the ear, but leave the hair on the ear a bit longer. Some cut the tails smooth, like a german shorthair pointer's tail, others will leave a little bit of the "flag." Most groomers will take direction, though and I often feel like I'm Sally from the movie When Harry Met Sally, when she was ordering a sandwich, "Give me one of those, but add this, this and this, and hold that..."

I have my guys cut every 8 weeks from April 1st to October 1st, but let them grow out for the winter (I live near Chicago.) It's kind of expensive for 2 dogs ($64) so I usually get them cut pretty short, and by 8 weeks it is long-ish, but not out of control like in the winter. Anyway, I usually tell Gail, my groomer, "Give them a Brit cut, but leave about an inch at the ends of their tails (so I don't see the rather raw-looking docking scars) and trim their ears smooth." If it is the muddy season (April) I also tell her to "Take off the feathers this time," but I always regret that, because though it is easier to keep them clean, it looks just awful. In fact, when I ask for that, Gail always winks and says, "Ahh yes, you want the Dalmation cut!" :P
Last edited by juliette on Wed Jun 09, 2004 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
juliette
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Postby juliette » Wed Jun 09, 2004 2:06 pm

Britthaven's website has a description of a Brittany cut here.
juliette
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Postby Karen_P » Wed Jun 09, 2004 2:06 pm

Funny story...a friend of the family got a Brittany pup about 18 months ago. They live in NH so I've never had the pleasure of meeting Hawk, but his grandma raved about him. What a cute puppy he was, how great he is with their kids, etc., etc.

Well, maybe 6 months ago she went up to visit and commented to my mother that Hawk was about the ugliest dog she'd ever seen. Keep in mind these are definitely not dog people. Hawk is probably the first dog her son has EVER owned.

My mother said "well, has he been groomed?". They had no idea they needed to have him groomed!

Well, she immediately calls her son and "orders" him to take that dog to a groomer, which he does.

He walks in and the groomer asks him if he wants a Brittany cut or a Springer cut. Mark asks what the difference is and the groomer tells him that if he's keeping the dog, get a springer cut, if not, get the Brittany cut. Well Mark really wants to know what Hawk is suppose to look like, so he tells the groomer he's getting rid of him so he gets the Brittany cut.

At last report, Hawk was once again the cutest dog to ever walk the earth, so I guess the grooming did the trick!
Karen_P
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Mark » Wed Jun 09, 2004 3:53 pm

Humm... how old should they be when you start grooming??

Monty doesnt seem all that scruffy.. just a little bit.. :shrug:
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Karen_P » Wed Jun 09, 2004 4:07 pm

Some really don't need much grooming at all. If you don't mind making the trip to North Jersey, I'd highly recommend Hope's Kennel in Blairstown. They've been breeding Britts for 40 yrs and do a fantastic job grooming. Monty will look his absolute best when Doug finishes with him.
Karen_P
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby julie13 » Wed Jun 09, 2004 5:07 pm

This is the second summer we have shaved Chip down to keep him cooler. He has one of those really thick coats and by April he was starting to feel the heat and in Michigan it isn't that hot in April. We shave him down ourselves because he is just so good about sitting still and/or laying down. We take a little more off now then we did the first time we tried this.

We leave the ears alone because trimming them just never seems to look right. If we trim the tail it is only a little. As for the feathering we usually take it off the first time we shave him, but will leave it for the second cut of the summer. We usually do 2 cuts in the summer in May and July and then by hunting season it has grown back in nice and thick.

Beyla our younger brittany doesn't have a thick coat (at least not yet) and weighs half of what Chip does, so we don't even bother with giving her a haircut. I pulled the kiddie pool out 2 days ago when it was 92 degrees, but she just thought it was a large water dish and kept drinking out of it.
julie13
Puppy

Return to General