dogs hibernating

General Brittany Discussion

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Forum rules
Welcome to general discussion!

Did your Britt make you laugh today? Did he do something so smart, you are blown away? Those puppy teeth causing you to tear up, and you need an outlet? Or do you want to post a picture of his or her latest point? This is the place for it!

dogs hibernating

Postby gagesbarb » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:25 pm

We live n St. Louis and have had a bunch of heat warnings here...whether you go out at 6am or 10 pm, it is sooo muggy and hot...no way to take a walk beyond the street...
We've been doing training and throwing the ball inside for something for the dogs to do, but actually, and surprisingly, they seem to be "hibernating..." sleeping a lot...
of course it's air conditioned inside, but they seem to know how hot it is outside and have decided to sleep through it...smart dogs :lol:
Anyone else's dogs reacting this way?
gagesbarb
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Re: dogs hibernating

Postby AuntieMom » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:48 pm

We are in a heat advisory. CharLee and Kallie prefer to nap indoors, Trapper is wherever I need to step next, but Teddy wants to be outside at all times. He sits under our spruce trees and looks up at the birds. I only let him stay out about 20 minutes at a time and we have water outside in the shade. But then it is outside water (different thread :P )
Trapper, CharLee & Kallie
AuntieMom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Cindy » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:45 pm

We've been having mid to upper 90s in Virginia but that doesn't stop my girls for long. The "call of the squirrel" is worth overheating - at least 50 times/day. They sit at the door just begging to go outside, chase the squirrels, and come back in to chill. I'm working from home tomorrow as John is out of town and they are predicting near 100 degree temps. My guess is that won't slow them down one bit :lol: :lol: :lol:
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Postby gagesbarb » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:41 am

"Trapper is wherever I need to step next"
We have that here too...Gage is my shadow...His foster mother actually nick-named him "Shadow." JJ likes to be next to me, often positioning himself so he is touching me, but if I get up, he doesn't feel the need to follow me all the time...Gage on the other hand, does...sometimes I don't get up or leave the room because he is sleeping; I know that somehow he knows when I move and has to come with me, and I feel bad disturbing him...not that our lives revolve around our dogs and cats :roll:
gagesbarb
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby AuntieMom » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:59 am

gagesbarb wrote:"Gage on the other hand, does...sometimes I don't get up or leave the room because he is sleeping; I know that somehow he knows when I move and has to come with me, and I feel bad disturbing him...not that our lives revolve around our dogs and cats :roll:
Oh thank goodness. I am not the only one who does that! Sometimes I will just sit there quietly so Trapper can sleep. When I am home all day, he gets so exhausted following me around that he stumbles. He is an old dog and should be taking more naps but it is like he is always on guard. He is 13 or 14 now and sleeps less than Teddy who is almost 7 months old.
Trapper, CharLee & Kallie
AuntieMom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby MaggieRocks » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:19 am

Common sense has never really been Emma's strong point. She's been going out on these 90+ degree days to harass the chipmunks. My husband went down our long driveway the other day on his tractor. I saw a brown blob on the driveway and thought it was dirt or mud that had come off the tractor. Emma starts slowly stalking her way down and sure enough, as she got closer-the "blob" took off running! Turns out, it was a chipmunk that ran to the rock wall at our grape vines to hide! She's also been chasing them away from our tomato plants. Apparently, chipmunks love my cherry tomatoes! Emma saves the day! (Or saves the tomatoes, LOL!) :lol:
MaggieRocks
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby gagesbarb » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:54 pm

Speaking of chipmunks...we are over-run by them here too...the dogs love digging out their burrows...they also get in my flower pots in the spring and up-root the young plants...my neighbor told me to sprinkle crushed oyster shells around them and that would repel them...I tried it this spring and to my surprise, it worked :D another neighbor had chipmunks digging under her driveway and nesting or whatever there...she frequently saw them running around...she dumped a bunch of the crushed oyster shells in the hole and the chipmunks disappeared! I can't quite believe it, but seems to work :lol:
gagesbarb
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby janet909 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:53 am

I guess we are lucky here in Colorado. Yes, it gets unbearably hot in the day (by 11:00 or so) but the mornings are cool. After coffee and the paper, one of takes Wes to the local park. It is a 2 mile long park that has 2 walking trails. One goes along the Colorado River and one goes along a canal. They are natural barriers with no fences on the west and east end of the park. It is also an 18 hole frisbee golf course. Anyway, they allow dogs there off leash. Wes LOVES catching frogs in the canal and along the river's edge. It's so funny because he comes up from the canal with 2 frog legs hanging out of his mouth, looks at me, flicks his head and throws the poor frog over his shoulder back into the canal to swim away. I can't imagine what that frog is thinking at the time. It's all a game to Wes. He is soft mouthed (plus I don't think frogs have a very good taste to them). We go in the morning when it's cool and he runs around like mad. There is also a lake near where we park so he can go for a final swim prior to settling in for the day of heat. We go there every day in the summer which I would think would get boring but from the way he flies out of the car door upon arrival, I guess he is far from bored. :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: He also gets to greet lots of his doggy friends as numerous people in our small town all have the same idea every day.
janet909
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Return to General