ABR Loss

General Brittany Discussion

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Forum rules
Welcome to general discussion!

Did your Britt make you laugh today? Did he do something so smart, you are blown away? Those puppy teeth causing you to tear up, and you need an outlet? Or do you want to post a picture of his or her latest point? This is the place for it!

ABR Loss

Postby janet909 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:56 pm

Good Evening ABR Friends. I know I am not posting this in the correct category but I know that this is the most followed category. Many of you have been reading these posts for years and have become friends with Kat, Copper's mom ("How cool is that"). Kat Dechant has fostered countless dogs and volunteered for ABR for many, many years. She was very active on this discussion board, with over 2000 posts, until her health turned last July and she suddenly spent much less time on the Internet. I am going to quote her son, Bobby, from her Facebook Page:
"As many of you know, my mother has been battling a form of brain cancer called glioblastoma multiforme. On Monday, she made the choice to break free from the chains of cancer. For the past 12 months, she fought with grace and fervor, at times having to endure multiple forms of treatment."

Our beloved ABR friend, Kat, passed away this Monday, surrounded by her family. It pains me to write this but some of you aren't on Facebook and have probably missed her presence on this discussion board. There will be a celebration of her life this Monday which would have been her 59th birthday. Because this is a public forum, I am not posting her family's contact information. I do know that her family has asked for donations to ABR in lieu of flowers.
Many of us are heartbroken. I met Kat through ABR and have made many lifelong friends through that connection. Our group has been in constant contact this week as we try to support each other and find meaning in this loss. She was an amazing, special person and loved our Brittanys with a passion. Her family is heartbroken as are her friends. She will be greatly missed.

janet909
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Re: ABR Loss

Postby AuntieMom » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:23 pm

Kat was a dear friend. I met her on the ABR boards when both of us had senior boys dying with heart failure. She was a huge support and many of you may know her next Brittany -- Copper -- was my foster dog. That cemented our friendship in real life.

My husband and I attended the ABR Rocky Mountain Picnic for several years. Here is a picture Shelli took in 2009, the first year we all got together. Image
There are days that you wish would last forever. And the days spent with Kat, Janet, Lisa, Shelli, Tiffany and our Brittany friends (and their humans) are on the top of my list. I loved Kat for the peace and love she brought to us all. And I will miss her sense of humor. Despite crying until I had a head ache when learning about her death, I smiled through tears remembering my favorite Kat quote: "Has anyone ever seen a Brittany throw up in the daytime?"
Trapper, CharLee & Kallie
AuntieMom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Cindy » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:36 am

I am so so sorry to hear about Kat. Although I never met her, I sure felt like she was a friend from all of her postings on this discussion board. I know she loved her Brittanys and will be greatly missed by so many. RIP Kat.
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Postby MaggieRocks » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:34 am

What a terrible loss to her friends and family and everyone at ABR. I also never met Kat but always enjoyed her posts. Makes you really think about things-enjoy your life to the fullest and do what you really love because life is, indeed, too short.
MaggieRocks
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby gagesbarb » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:18 am

Thank you for letting the board know...I also did not know Kat personally, but followed her posts on the board, so her devotion to dogs was obvious...
Our prayers and sympathy to her family and friends; I'm sure she is getting lots and lots of kisses from the dogs greeting her at the Rainbow Bridge!
gagesbarb
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby Barb Wright » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:13 pm

Oh, such bitter news.....and such a huge loss for both her family and ABR. I knew Kat from the Colorado ABR picnic, and she was one of those people that even though your contact with them in person is brief, well, they just stay in your mind from then on. We had many discussions both on and off the message board, and she was just one jewel of a lady. Very sad day.......
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13
Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Postby janet909 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:25 pm

Here's another of my favorites. Auntie Mom pulled my Sheppy Shu from a kill shelter in Nebraska and Kat met her 1/2 way between Omaha and Denver. Kat then kept him for me while I visited family in Seattle for the holidays. They did the transport the Saturday before Christmas when I'm sure they both had about 1000 other things to do. Hearts of gold.
janet909
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Return to General