Teddy & The Bell

General Brittany Discussion

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Forum rules
Welcome to general discussion!

Did your Britt make you laugh today? Did he do something so smart, you are blown away? Those puppy teeth causing you to tear up, and you need an outlet? Or do you want to post a picture of his or her latest point? This is the place for it!

Teddy & The Bell

Postby AuntieMom » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:22 pm

Our CharLee is blind and we had trouble with potty training when she was a puppy until we put a bell on the door.

Fast forward eight years and now Teddy also rings the door to go outside. DH and Teddy just came in from playing wing. Teddy rang the bell. :P
Trapper, CharLee & Kallie
AuntieMom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Re: Teddy & The Bell

Postby Cindy » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:08 pm

:lol: :lol: I've never determined if ringing a bell to go out would be more helpful than it might be annoying, especially if you have dogs that come and go a zillion time/day. At least when our dogs poke at the sliding glass door, I can kind of ignore it
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Postby gagesbarb » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:25 am

Really great idea to use a bell for a blind dog :D
I've heard both reactions to bells with typical dogs--helpful and annoying...our boys have an escalating set of ways to say they need to go out, starting with standing at the door staring at us to coming closer and staring (particularly if we aren't in the same room) to finally woofing insistently...the latter has happened since Gage has been on prednisone and has to potty more...in the evening, he'll go out and then 15 minutes later, want to go out again...I used to tell him to just settle down, but have learned that he really has to go...sometimes I still can't quite believe he has to go, but he does, and then I feel terrible about trying to ignore him...good boy that he is, he won't stop woofing until we let him out...hopefully that means he knows eventually we will listen...
It is interesting how many people in our classes complain that their dogs won't tell them when they need to go potty and then when you talk more, you find the dog is "staring" but the people don't understand :roll: never ceases to amaze me how patient our dogs are with us :lol: :lol: :lol:
gagesbarb
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby AuntieMom » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:38 am

gagesbarb wrote: never ceases to amaze me how patient our dogs are with us :lol: :lol: :lol:
True :D
Trapper, CharLee & Kallie
AuntieMom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby janet909 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:30 pm

Since we have a dog door, we don't have this problem. Ours is another issue. All our dogs have gone outside at will using the dog door. For some unknown reason, Beamer didn't like to come inside via the dog door. He would stand outside and scratch the door waiting for us to get up and open it. We couldn't figure it out but just figured it was one of his countless quirks. We lost him to cancer in early May. Now, suddenly, our remaining boy Wesley, scratches at the door about 40% of the time instead of using his door. :shock: :shock: :shock: What is up with that ????? Did he learn this from Beamer ???? We just sit there listening to the scratching, looking at each other and then, because we are trained, one of us gets up to let "the prince" in. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
janet909
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby gagesbarb » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:58 pm

I'm so sorry about Beamer...didn't know you lost him...I've followed your stories about Wes, Sheppy and Beamer along with your first dog (sorry...I've forgotten his name) over the years...they all have had wonderful lives with you...the pictures of the hikes you've taken with them are beautiful!
again...so sorry for all your losses...hard times :(
gagesbarb
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby Cindy » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:58 am

Oh no - I am so sorry, I didn't realize you lost Beamer either. I must have missed that posting. Wow, it must be so strange for you to have just one dog after having 3 for so long. How is Wesley doing as an only dog?
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Return to General