good news and rant

General Brittany Discussion

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Forum rules
Welcome to general discussion!

Did your Britt make you laugh today? Did he do something so smart, you are blown away? Those puppy teeth causing you to tear up, and you need an outlet? Or do you want to post a picture of his or her latest point? This is the place for it!

good news and rant

Postby gagesbarb » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:11 am

It is finally cooler here so we were able to take our usual long walk this morning. Because of Gage's bronchitis/cough, I debated whether to go as long with him, but
he loves our walks, so I decided to go and if he seemed tired or had any other issues, we'd turn back. But he was so happy and energetic, trotting the whole way, sniffing and marking and no sign of any breathing or coughing problem, we ended up going an hour and covering about 2-1/2 miles...he trotted along, actually leading JJ on the path home :lol: :lol: :lol:
Now my rant...we were walking through a subdivision and stopped at an island where there are big "pee rocks" the dogs like to sniff...sniffing away and all of a sudden, two bernese mountain dogs galloped up...they live a few houses down and have an invisible fence that obviously either wasn't working or they broke through...startled all of us, but fortunately were friendly and my dogs were ok...Gage got behind me as he usually does and JJ sniffed and circled as the two of them surrounded him...JJ actually didn't even bark, his usual response to excitement (as I reflect, another good thing)...the dogs ran off down the street...I went to their house and told the guy what happened...he apologized and said they wouldn't go far (obviously this has happened before :evil: )...I said that it was good they'd come home, but I worried they could still get hit by a car or run into dogs who wouldn't be friendly...granted they are big enough to probably not get hurt, but what about someone else walking whose dog doesn't like other dogs--they have a right to walk on a public street as long as their dog is under control...sheesh
gagesbarb
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Re: good news and rant

Postby Cindy » Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:55 am

We have invisible fencing around about 8 acres. Our dogs are extremely well trained to the boundaries and we rarely even put their collars on except if we're not home. I've seen deer, squirrels, rabbits, etc. just on the other side of the line and the dogs never think about crossing it. But, Pippa definitely knows when the collar is on her (or not) and I've seen her test the boundary that prevents her from going into the horse paddock. It might take her a week of "testing" before she gets up the nerve to go in there but once that happens she gets to wear the collar every day for a month or so until she gets retained. If the invisible fence is not working, it puts off a very loud and annoying warning signal so I'm sure this guy knows if he has a problem. My guess is that he either forgot to put the collars on the dogs or the collar battery needs replacement (collar will flash red if that's the case). But the bottom line is what's the point of having invisible fencing if you let that happen? People!!!!
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Postby gagesbarb » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:01 am

Right! I have no problem if you know your dog respects an invisible fence and you pay attention to batteries, your dog's behavior, etc.
Two other things happened yesterday that are infuriating...one of my friends was walking her dog in her neighborhood and her dog was attacked by two loose dogs and almost killed...not clear who owns the dogs, though she thinks she heard someone calling them before they went after her dog...she didn't take the time to try to figure that out...off to vet with her dog, taking care of him...
Another neighbor has had a very sweet, young lab show up in her yard THREE times this week...has tags and she has called the owner--a 20 something young man who lives with his parents in a very affluent area a couple of miles from us (so the dog travelled a distance, found someone who gave him water and played with him while waiting for his owner and now obviously likes her)...Kid says, "Our invisible fence is broken..." :evil: :evil: :evil: THREE times in ONE week??? this last time, we debated whether to call him AGAIN or whether to drive to their house and try to find his parents or keep the dog (not really, but tempting) Before we could decide, the kid came driving up looking for the dog...we really let him have it and said he had to be more responsible!!!! The dog is not neutered...he said he wants to breed him??? I certainly hope he won't be responsible for taking care of the puppies! Cindy, you are exactly right...PEOPLE!!!!!

Actually--a question-- what do you all think we should do when you keep having a dog get loose and come to your house, like this lab? One of my dog club friends said to take the dog to the humane society...dog probably has a chip and would get back to the owner, but might scare the owner into being more careful...I don't know...
gagesbarb
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby Cindy » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:42 pm

Actually--a question-- what do you all think we should do when you keep having a dog get loose and come to your house, like this lab? One of my dog club friends said to take the dog to the humane society...dog probably has a chip and would get back to the owner, but might scare the owner into being more careful...I don't know...

Around my area you either call animal control (who has the authority to ticket/lecture/threaten OR take it to our no kill shelter. We had the sweetest little beagle that kept appearing in our yard. Called the owner twice and he came to pick her up but I said that the next time I was taking her to the shelter. The next time happened, she went to the shelter where she was kept for a certain amount of time, and then got adopted. A much better situation for this dog, I'm sure. PEOPLE!!!!!!
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Postby AuntieMom » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:17 pm

We have strict leash laws in our city so fortunately I do not have a Burmese Mountain dog type of issue. Your dogs handled the situation great and at least the owner apologized. Before our leash laws, I experienced some tense moments. Some owners get so righteous, like it is your fault you and your dogs do not like their uncontrolled pet and you are absolutely the only person in the world who does not love “Snook-ums.”

To answer the question about what to do with the poor lab with the crappy owner, yes, I would take to no kill shelter too.
Trapper, CharLee & Kallie
AuntieMom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Return to General