Camping and "The Tail"

General Brittany Discussion

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Forum rules
Welcome to general discussion!

Did your Britt make you laugh today? Did he do something so smart, you are blown away? Those puppy teeth causing you to tear up, and you need an outlet? Or do you want to post a picture of his or her latest point? This is the place for it!

Camping and "The Tail"

Postby janet909 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:26 am

Peetie is doing fantastic as we end week 3 with her. She obviously has some previous training in the field as she hunts pretty close. We have been working with her every day and she is getting solid fast. She is already off leash/lead wearing only an e-collar and a GPS collar. She comes to the whistle and only requires vibration when she is obviously on the chase. We went on a camping trip and after 2 days of running, sniffing, hunting chipmunks and rolling in poop (twice), she was utterly exhausted. One early evening, we were sitting outside and the GPS compass and distance reading had completely frozen at 15 yards. I thought the hand held unit had locked up until I realized that Peetie was completely crashed out on the couch inside the camper.

It is funny that her foster dad had eluded that she wasn't really interested in squeaky toys. She loves them and carries them around the house with her in the evening. The other night, while we were doing our nightly routine of closing and locking windows, brushing teeth etc., she managed to carry 5 of her toys in our bed so she could sleep with them all.

I will also say that her separation anxiety has all but dissipated. She doesn't whimper when we leave and doesn't try to escape the yard.

Now, as far as the tail goes. I do see why it is better to have a Brittany without a tail. I love it when we are just hanging at home. When we went camping, I totally learned the downside of it. It was constantly one big burr. On day one, in the evening in the camper, I got out the comb and started working on it. She growled a little and wasn't happy with me. She was also pulling them out herself but then eating them. I didn't want her to have a stomach full of burrs. I'm sure this is what she did in the past. She eventually got used to our nightly, tedious ritual. Three nights of spending 30 minutes getting hundreds of burrs out of her beautiful tail. My husband commented that we should shave it. At first I agreed but I can't. It's just too beautiful when it's not filled with burrs.

janet909
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Re: Camping and "The Tail"

Postby Cindy » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:55 pm

So happy she's settling in and learning the routine but the tail!!!!! The burrs are starting to be a problem around here this time of year and it's all I can do to comb them out of ears. I've totally trimmed Layla's legs as her feathers were about 4" long and total burr collectors so I can't even imagine what the tail is like. Well, guess it's a small price to pay for such a great dog - nobody is perfect :lol: :lol:
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Postby gagesbarb » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:20 am

Patricia McConnell had a recent blog on rescuing and talked about how things seem to change/settle in 3's-- 3 days, 3 weeks, 3 months...sounds like you are seeing that :D
I am also sympathetic to the burr problem...getting them out of wispy ear fur is also our challenge...
sounds like Peetie and you are a perfect match! After all, you understand that sleeping with all your toys is a good thing :lol: :lol: :lol:
gagesbarb
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby AuntieMom » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:45 pm

So sweet that she loves her toys. Never too late to have a happy childhood. :D

As to that wonderful tail ... Maybe try Show Sheen. Also, I have also read about people using cooking spray on their dog's tail and pulling the burrs out with a table fork.
Trapper, CharLee & Kallie
AuntieMom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Cindy » Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:47 am

Maybe try Show Sheen

I never even thought of that and I should have since I have horses (and burrs). There's another product I like even better called Eqyss Premier Rehydrant Spray but I haven't tried product either on dogs. I do know that the Eqyss does a really good job repelling dirt and their tails stay untangled.
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Postby janet909 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:07 pm

Thanks for the tips !!!! Are those products available at Petsmart or Murdochs ?????
janet909
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Cindy » Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:41 pm

I'm not sure about either of those places but any store that sells farm/horse supplies OR online for sure. I was showing John pictures of "the tail" and he suggested wrapping it in vet wrap if you're going to be those kind of conditions for a few days. At least you wouldn't be shaving it. Another idea ....
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Postby Lisa » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:24 pm

You can use spray on conditioner or detangler to loosen the burrs. I've even used cooking spray in a pinch, but you have to wash the fur if you use that, or it hold the dirt.
Image Image RIP Madi
Charm-future agility champ
Britty- RIP March 27, 2014
Buster-CGC, OA, OF, NAJ, APK, APJ, APG, APR, PD
Lisa

Return to General