dogs teach me

General Brittany Discussion

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Forum rules
Welcome to general discussion!

Did your Britt make you laugh today? Did he do something so smart, you are blown away? Those puppy teeth causing you to tear up, and you need an outlet? Or do you want to post a picture of his or her latest point? This is the place for it!

dogs teach me

Postby gagesbarb » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:11 am

I learn something every day from my dogs :lol: Someone at work adopted a dog last weekend...sounds like sweet dog, but didn't like his crate. We had tried to adopt a britt from ABR after Sam died and before JJ...this was a young stray (Boston) whose foster mom thought he was ok with cats, but turned out not to be.(I learned from him the clear difference between that head down, body tense, laser stare that means the dog sees the other animal as prey and my dogs' head up. bouncing around, loose body excitement that means "I want to play.") I also learned from him about crates---that dog also didn't like his crate, at least during the day...he was fine in our room at night...but when I moved the crate in front of a window so he had something to watch outside, he was fine...I suggested that to the person at work, in addition to playing some crate games, giving the dog a frozen, treat filled kong or bone (which she had been doing) and a big dose of patience and time...yesterday, things were immediately much better...so, thank you Boston...as an aside, the ABR people were wonderful and understanding when we decided that this dog wouldn't work in our family...I felt horrible...he was a great dog, but not with cats...his foster mom kept in touch and let me know that he was soon adopted by a young couple who had another brittany, wanted a jogging partner, etc.- a much better situation for him...and we ended up with JJ...a great fit for us...thank you ABR, and thank you dogs for teaching me so much!
gagesbarb
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Re: dogs teach me

Postby janet909 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:59 pm

That's a great story. No one wants to adopt out a dog into an environment where they are going to fail. ABR is wonderful that way. I'm glad that it was a win-win situation in the end.
janet909
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby gagesbarb » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:01 am

ABR IS wonderful about matching the right dog with the right family...the dog who "hunted" our cats had been tested with a cat at the vet's office and been OK...I think our cats were younger and bouncier and behaved more like "rabbits" :lol: His foster mother was sooo kind and understanding and supportive when he had to go back to her-- this is such a wonderful organization! Full of wonderful people and dogs!
gagesbarb
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby Cindy » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:53 pm

That's why I am always pushing adoption from a foster home. You may not get the adorable puppy (that may or may not turn into the Tasmanian devil as an adult :lol: ) but you do get a lot of information about the dog up front and have a much better chance of getting the best dog for your situation. And I agree that AVR does an excellent job fitting the dog with the home.
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Postby AuntieMom » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:43 pm

I have learned from each dog that has passed through our house when we were fostering. When we got Teddy, I was so specific about what kind of dog we wanted that a person might think we were ultra picky but we just knew what kind of dog is happiest with our lifestyle and environment. Each dog has their own set of experiences that have shaped their behaviors, likes and dislikes. That said, I have seen a dog given up for one reason by his owner and it is that very reason that his new home loves him to the moon and back.
Trapper, CharLee & Kallie
AuntieMom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Return to General