Peetie's First Bird Hunt

General Brittany Discussion

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Forum rules
Welcome to general discussion!

Did your Britt make you laugh today? Did he do something so smart, you are blown away? Those puppy teeth causing you to tear up, and you need an outlet? Or do you want to post a picture of his or her latest point? This is the place for it!

Peetie's First Bird Hunt

Postby janet909 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:44 pm

We have been working with Peetie every day and I must say that she is AMAZING and that we are LUCKY !!!! She is so focused on being close to us (read velcro dog) that she doesn't really wander too far away. We took her on a 4 day camping trip in the mountains this week. I was nervous at first and so she had to wear her e-collar and GPS collar at all times while in camp. We would hunt every morning and evening for about 2 hours. As she got more and more tired, she wandered less and less. She also seems to follow Wes who NEVER leaves camp. I was very anxious to get a bird down so that she could get a good smell of it and know what we were looking for. I know that she hunted in Texas (I assume pheasant) but we are hunting for Blue Grouse which she had probably never seen. On our 2nd hunt, we got her a bird (that she happened to flush) and that sealed the deal. She was a natural after that: searching under every tree and log. She hunts close and only got too far away once when a bird flushed and flew and she chased it. That time, my DH had to go after her as she ran 200 yards which is WAY to far out of the "circle of love".
It was funny this morning as we had to pack up the camper and leave. It takes us about an hour and we are both on task as we break camp and pack the vehicle. I didn't want to put the e-collar on but I knew that we would be too preoccupied to watch her so I put the GPS collar on instead. I would look at the screen periodically to see where she was and how far she had wandered away while we were packing. She never wandered more than 35 yards. I was very impressed. She is learning what we want from her.
Unfortunately, her little paws are a little tender tonight. She has some little abrasions. I'm sure that was way more running and jumping over trees than she is used to. She is snoozing on the couch as I type. Happy as can be.
Here are 3 pics. 1) her first grouse and my DH , 2) Wes and Peetie assume their position in the camper as we drive down the mountain on the dirt road. They are looking for chipmunks. Once we get on the paved road we get.....3) the kids snoozing. They have really bonded and are becoming BFFs.

Oh, and the tail ???? When she smells a grouse and is honing in on it, she does this spinning thing with her tail. That's how we know to get ready. Loving it !!!

janet909
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Re: Peetie's First Bird Hunt

Postby Cindy » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:44 am

I just love hearing how these dogs adjust to their new homes and it sure sounds like Peetie has found the perfect place to live out her days. She looks sooooo happy and you guys sure do sound happy to have her. It makes life simple when you get a dog who just "fits in." Also happy to hear there's some use for that tail! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Postby gagesbarb » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:54 pm

Ditto what Cindy said :lol: :lol: :lol:
gagesbarb
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter