R.I.P. Jiggs 1/15/03 - 11/11/17

General Brittany Discussion

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Forum rules
Welcome to general discussion!

Did your Britt make you laugh today? Did he do something so smart, you are blown away? Those puppy teeth causing you to tear up, and you need an outlet? Or do you want to post a picture of his or her latest point? This is the place for it!

R.I.P. Jiggs 1/15/03 - 11/11/17

Postby NYC John » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:30 pm

For the past two or three years it seems that an unusual number of Britts on this website have gone to the Rainbow Bridge. As my dog got older I dreaded the time when I would have to make that decision. I adopted Jiggs on D Day in 2004 when he was 17 months old. He had at least 3 or more homes before I adopted him. He was not a bad dog at all but a typical Brittany. I never understood why he had such a rocky start but I assumed that he had impatient owners. In the summer of 2016 he had a tumor removed from his lung as well as having lp surgery. He seemed to have recovered fully recovered and seemed to be doing fine. This past spring he had a couple of vestibular dysfunction episodes but that seemed to go away. In May his blood tests revealed some numbers outside normal ranges and it was discovered that he had a tumor on his liver and possible kidney disease. Ironically his liver ALT numbers were within normal range. In addition he had lost alot of weight. He slowed down but he seemed not to be in any pain and he seemed to enjoy being by my side. I knew that his days were numbered and I cherished every day with him. This past Saturday at about 5 AM he took a fall at my vacation home in northeast PA. I rushed him to an emergency vet 50+ miles away and Xrays revealed that his hips were badly deteriorated and the vet said one hip was dislocated and beyond repair. Obviously I had no choice but to put him to sleep. Obviously like everyone else on this board who has gone through this, it has left a terrible void. I am hoping to adopt another Brit in the near futurewhich along with time might partially soften the pain of his loss. Since I adopted him 13 years I have been a daily reader of this ABR website and it has been a great source of information to me and I appreciate the comments from the may participants.
NYC John
Puppy Kindergarten Grad
Puppy Kindergarten Grad

Re: R.I.P. Jiggs 1/15/03 - 11/11/17

Postby Cindy » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:18 pm

UGH ... every time I read another one of these stories I get sad all over again... For you and for everyone else that has ever lost a dog. Yes, this has happened way more times in the last few years it seems. I am truly sorry for your loss but especially for that "void" I know you feel tremendously. It's never easy losing your pet and never will be, despite the fact that you know their days are limited. I know another Brittany will be in your future and that will help to ease the pain, but Jiggs will be in your heart forever. Hang in there. :cry: :cry:
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Postby NYC John » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:18 pm

Thank You, Cindy
NYC John
Puppy Kindergarten Grad
Puppy Kindergarten Grad

Postby AuntieMom » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:15 pm

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. Sounds like it was Jiggs' time but that does not make the decision any easier. I do know how hard that decision is and how empty life feels afterwards. My sympathy to you. :(
Trapper, CharLee & Kallie
AuntieMom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby gagesbarb » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:12 pm

oh- I am so sorry...unfortunately, I know how you feel...a void is a good way to describe it...and as people have said, no matter how much you know it is their time, and no matter how much you know that losing them is inevitable, it tears your heart out every time :cry: :cry: :cry:
Know that Jiggs knows how much you loved him, and that he loved you back just as much, and that love will always be with you both!
gagesbarb
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby AuntieMom » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:01 pm

gagesbarb wrote:Know that Jiggs knows how much you loved him, and that he loved you back just as much, and that love will always be with you both!
So true and well said. :(
Trapper, CharLee & Kallie
AuntieMom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Barb Wright » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:15 pm

When these posts of transition arrive I am always suddenly thrust back in time, reminded of the many dogs that became such a significant part of my travels through this life. And so I’ve become adept at following that first jerk at my heart with opening up the treasure trove I have collected as the beneficiary of some very special gifts from each of these dogs, memories, treasures worth more than gold. At the top of the list of these “gifts” is my having been the recipient of pure and unconditional devotion and companionship from another sentient being. I wander down memory lane, treasure list in hand, and recall all the best of each encounter……and so I arrive once again back to the realization that I’ve lost each physical presence, but my treasure trove is full of rare gifts from each dog. These memories I choose to dwell upon and not let my heart be weighed down by the loss of presence.

Perhaps the finest tribute to Jiggs’ memory would be the arrival of another dog into your life, a dog different probably in many ways, but who would continue the legacy of giving love, devotion and friendship, in such a way as only dogs can do.

I hope this train of thought is not intrusive, but rather consoling and helping to suggest a means to ease your present sense of despair. Time will do that eventually, but for now know that we all wish for you a brave heart.
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13
Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Return to General