Hello from Bernie's mom!

General Brittany Discussion

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Forum rules
Welcome to general discussion!

Did your Britt make you laugh today? Did he do something so smart, you are blown away? Those puppy teeth causing you to tear up, and you need an outlet? Or do you want to post a picture of his or her latest point? This is the place for it!

Hello from Bernie's mom!

Postby Bernie's mom » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:26 am

Good morning!
So I see I was spotted, lol. Facebook came along and took me away from the forum, and I'm on a brittany page there and I have several of you as friends so we've kept up to speed, but I now realize that I didn't come back here when things happened, so for those of you who want to continue reading, here's what happened.
Our dear boy, our baby, our Bernie, we had to let him go. He crossed the bridge on December 12, 2015.

Some of you may recall that he had both ACL's done, and that gave him another 5 years of running and crazies. His last night he was running as fast as he could around the house, wiped out and rolled on one corner, got up and kept on going!
Please don't worry, there was no illness and no suffering.

We got up and got all dressed and ready to go to the family christmas party. We had our coats on and were ready to go. Bernie was on his old loveseat and we said "come on Bernie, let's go". He hopped up and off like he's always done, and he yiped. He got down and there were a few yelps, the kind that stab you in the stomach, and he was holding up a back leg. My first thought was his knee, but how in the world did he blow a repaired knee? After a few minutes nothing changed and we were getting scared. It was the weekend, of course, so our vet was closed. I called the emergency vet and they said to bring him in, of course, so we did. We popped the back hatch of my suv and got him in there. Oddly he seemed ok laying on his injured leg. Well, if he's comfy that's all that mattered. Kevin sat in the back seat and reached over to comfort Bernie all the way into town, a half hour drive. I just drove, I didn't think, I didn't cry, I just locked into my task to get us all there safely.
So we get to the vet, and may I just preface this part with this; those girls at the e-vet, all of them, they were fabulous. They were so kind, so sweet. They do not have a pleasant job and they are, I'm sure, often demonized for the job they often have to do, but they were there for us.
They scooped him up and out in one swift motion and asked if we wanted them to give him pain meds, uh, yes!!! Please! In they go, and now we're in the little room and I fall apart. I can hear him crying in back and it was ripping me apart. The vet came in and she said she couldn't find anything with leg manipulation, so I told her to x-ray, find it, something is wrong.
Definitely wrong. She came in with the x-rays to show us that his hip had dislocated. Completely. She started talking, and her voice was gently guiding us in the direction that we knew we were going to go. She said that his hip sockets were so shallow; they could have put it back in, but they would have had to hobble him for 6 weeks and there is no way his other hip would have supported him.
He was only scared and hurting for 2 hours total, and then he was gone.
I'm so thankful (here come the tears) that we were both there with him. With us working opposite swing shifts at the time it could have been very different, but we were both there to make the decision, we were both there to say goodbye. We agreed the day we brought that chubby little puppy home that we'd never make him suffer so that we didn't have to. At 12 years old we weren't going to put him through surgery and recovery. We couldn't explain to him the why's and how's. He was happy and running the night before, that was quality of life.
So after we left there we went and got some wood and went home. Kevin built him a nice box and I wood burned the cover. We made him a comfy nest with one of his pillows and lots of toys and treats, and then we drove 2.5 hours north to the cabin and buried him in the middle of the turn around where he always sat and hunted squirrels.
I am not far from him as last year we moved up here permanently and built our home. I can look out the window and see where he is.

Our Brittany story is not over tho... I have contacted a couple breeders for meet and greets. We plan on adding a new puppy to our lives in spring of 2019! Kevin is officially retired and I am now a loving being a housewife. We ride snowmobiles in the great WI northwoods and have friends come up for days at a time. Hubby is going to head out for ice fishing and I'll stay here where it's warm and do some "ponying"; that's our term for my buying and selling of My Little Pony toys, I'm a collector.

Hugs to you all, and ear rubs and nose kisses to each and every pup! I'll check in more often, I promise!
Bernie 11/30/03-12/12/15
Bernie's mom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Re: Hello from Bernie's mom!

Postby Bernie's mom » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:58 am

Thinking of Cassie, Monty, Kayla, Scout, just to start... so many of our kids are no longer with us.
Dave & Kat, you are not forgotten either. May you rest in peace.
I have a sad, but I know how much those pups were loved. I just want their folks to know that I'm thinking of each of you as I remember those pics and stories.
Bernie 11/30/03-12/12/15
Bernie's mom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Bernie's mom » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:40 pm

I'll keep babbling and tell you about my interim pooch!
Our new neighbor lost her dog unexpectedly, she got sick fast, and after all the heartbreak we are seriously thinking that she was poisoned by her dog food, but at this point it's neither here nor there.
She's a single lady and it didn't take long for her heart to convince her head that they both needed a new companion. Long story short, Rain came to all of us from AL through Sandy Paws rescue! (what's even cooler is that a friend I have in the middle of the state also adopted from there at the same time, and my neighbor actually saw the pup that my friend adopted, small world!).
Happy hearts everywhere! Rain is awesome! After a DNA test we also found out that she is *drum roll please...* 36% Brittany!!!!!!!!!!!! From the moment I met her I felt like a little piece of Bernie came back to me, through Rain. So now my job is going over every day and letting her out while mom is at work. When she was kenneled, she's not anymore and is doing great, but when she was I'd go over there, kneel down and open the kennel door, and that 2 yearish old dog would start crying and crawl right into my lap and kiss and cuddle. We had to do that for a few minutes before she'd decide that she needed to go out. She's black and heavily ticked, she looks like a dark frenchie.
So I get my puppy fix every day, and her mom has already offered to puppy sit for us in the future. We're so fortunate to have such a great new neighbor... funny how things work out.
Bernie 11/30/03-12/12/15
Bernie's mom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby NYC John » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:27 pm

Awhile back I lamented over the absence of many long term posters. I definitely remember your posts about Bernie's antics and his fondness for digging holes. I assumed that many of our four legged friends had passed which explained the lack of posts. This past Veterans Day I lost my Britt (Jiggs) two months short of his 15th birthday caused by a fall which damaged his hip joint similar to Bernie's. I applied for a Brittany Rescue but before a decision could be made I came across and adopted an English Setter although I miss my Brit greatly. Welcome back and I look forward to your posts when you get your new Brit. Maybe this time next year you and your new Brit will be watching the Packers in the 2019 Super Bowl.
NYC John
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Postby Bernie's mom » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:39 pm

Hi John!
I am sorry to hear of Jiggs' passing, but I'm glad to hear of your new fur baby & I wish you many happy years!
We may not have a pup yet this time next year. Ideally we'd wait til march so we don't have to potty train in deep snow, but when they are welped is out of my control, lol!
Bernie 11/30/03-12/12/15
Bernie's mom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Cindy » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:53 pm

Such a great "catch up" from you and I am sorry to hear about Bernie. The stories you told made him really come alive and those memories will stay with you (and us) forever ... even when you have a new puppy doing all those crazy things. It sure sounds like your move and other life changes are definitely agreeing with you and it will be a great place for a new dog. Here's hoping you stay connected with us on this board and please keep us posted.
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Postby Bernie's mom » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:56 pm

Hi Cindy, I'm glad to be back! Hope you & your pack are doing well!
Bernie 11/30/03-12/12/15
Bernie's mom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Ron » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:02 am

Great to hear from you, sorry about Bernie. Things here have been busy for Debbie and I, the loss of My mom1/14, selling of her house. We had a fire in our kitchen, 5/1/17, we now have a complete new kitchen,that I did all my self. July 25th we lost our Molly Ann, by some type of poison, we don't know if some one did it, or she ate one that was growing in the back yard, (we had a lot of wet weather then). we still have Chester, Chance,and Max. :D :D :D
Ron
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby Bernie's mom » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:26 pm

Hi Ron! I'm sorry that you had to deal with such heartache & hardship. We never know when something will happen, but we must keeping moving forward. I hope you, & everyone, are able to find happiness every day, no matter how small it may be.
Please pass ear rubs all around to your pack, I'm sure they make you smile!
Bernie 11/30/03-12/12/15
Bernie's mom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Barb Wright » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:45 pm

Well, nostalgia is the mood of the moment.....seeing Bernie again (I know he rests in peace in a really neat place) and getting up-beat vibes from his Mom, just really rings my bell :D :D Thanks for sharing the bitter/sweet memories and letting us be included in your return. So many wonderful and exciting prospects, plus what you are up to during this hiatus from being a Britt "Mom"....so looking forward to hearing how this new journey progresses :) :) Welcome back, welcome home, you've revived the dying embers :D
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13
Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Postby Bernie's mom » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:51 pm

We have a few little trips that we may take, & because last year was so crazy with finishing up at our jobs, packing, selling our house, moving up here & building our home (we lived in our cabin til the house was done) we're just taking this year to relax & enjoy. We all know how much work a puppy is!
It's been fun going through old posts, laughing & wiping away tears as I get caught up. It's so nice reconnecting!
Bernie 11/30/03-12/12/15
Bernie's mom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby gagesbarb » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:13 am

I have only started posting fairly recently, but lurked for many years, learning so much and enjoying everyone's stories...I do remember laughing at Bernie's antics and I always loved
his "ode" to holes that was under his picture :D
gagesbarb
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby Bernie's mom » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:35 pm

Yea, I just removed that to put in his memorial.
He loved to dig, & where we lived he didn't hurt a thing, lol! I recieved an email from someone here on the board; they shared his digging pics & everyone at work loved it. I still have that email, it was on our fridge til we packed to move, & I did keep it.
Bernie 11/30/03-12/12/15
Bernie's mom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Return to General