How to catch a raccoon

General Brittany Discussion

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Forum rules
Welcome to general discussion!

Did your Britt make you laugh today? Did he do something so smart, you are blown away? Those puppy teeth causing you to tear up, and you need an outlet? Or do you want to post a picture of his or her latest point? This is the place for it!

How to catch a raccoon

Postby Cindy » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:05 am

Layla's "nose" is at it again!! Over the last few months we've occasionally had a raccoon who's come through the cat door into our laundry room. This smart little raccoon got on top of the washer and reached up to the shelf above it, swiping the bag of cat food the other day. Needless to say, the cat food is now securely locked in the freezer! I find them quite adorable but NOT in my house and the laundry room is right next to the bedroom. Layla can smell the thing a mile away and the second it tries to come into the house she bolts out of her crate and makes a beeline for the baby gate which keeps her out of the laundry room (where I feed the cat). Last night I heard Layla leave her crate so I got out of bed and the two of us watched the raccoon put his head through the cat door. He hardly seemed the least bit disturbed to see either one of us staring at him from 6 feet away. We are going to borrow a have-a-heart trap and try to catch him once again, hopefully not trapping the cat in the process. Last time we used cat food but didn't have any luck getting him. Suggestions on the best way to lure him into the trap?
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Re: How to catch a raccoon

Postby Bernie's mom » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:58 pm

Coons love marshmallows, and tuna, and catfood, but you know that!
Good luck but please be safe as they are not nice creatures; they will tear up a dog pretty quick. There's also the threat of rabies. I have to say I am super impressed that Layla respects the baby gate as it wouldn't have phased Bernie, he'd have plowed right through it!
Good luck!
Bernie 11/30/03-12/12/15
Bernie's mom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Cindy » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:41 am

I have to say I am super impressed that Layla respects the baby gate

Once Layla learns the rules she is quite good about obeying. It's one of her best qualities!

No luck with marshmellows last night :evil:
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Postby gagesbarb » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:00 am

Last year, I let the dogs out, turned around and there was a young raccoon under the tree by the back door...fortunately, the dogs had done their usual "charge out the back door" routine, so didn't realize it was there...poor thing was lethargic and I was pretty sure, he was sick...got dogs in through a different door and ended up calling a wildlife rescue group who came and got him...being sick, he just sat there and they were able to pick him up (with big heavy gloves)...they said he probably had distemper...the wildlife group wanted to make sure our dogs were vaccinated because they said if another animal drank out of a puddle the sick raccoon had drunk from, distemper could spread...I didn't know that...
My friend who has welsh terriers has possums who periodically nest under her porch...last week, her female dispatched two of them...sigh...
And good girl Layla for respecting that gate...Gage somehow pushes himself through the little door (for the cats) on our gate to get to the kitty litter box...he says he just wants to help clean out the box :shock:
I have no idea what to bait the trap with, but good luck...hopefully neither your cats or dogs will tangle with the raccoon
gagesbarb
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby janet909 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:38 am

Wow, I'd be super careful. I would NOT want a racoon in my house !!!! We have had one stalking our bird feeders in the yard for the past couple of weeks. Fortunately, Wesley is getting older and doesn't go out the dog door too often to hunt in the yard at night any more. We have been pulling the bird feeders in at night now. Is there a trapping service in your area ?? I used one once for a skunk that was under our deck. You might need to use professionals just to be safe.
janet909
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Cindy » Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:27 pm

Update: We're still trying to catch Rocky. Last weekend there was a tremendous crash in the laundry room in the middle of the night. The raccoon had climbed on top of the washing machine and pulled off the plastic tool box that contains my medical supplies for the barn. The noise must have scared Rocky as much as it did us as he was nowhere to be seen when we went to investigate. Layla planted herself part way in the bedroom and part way in the hall (so she could see into the laundry room) for the rest of the night. Finally, just last night, the marshmallows were missing from around the have-a-heart trap. The raccoon also went into the trap and ate the dog food bait but the trap didn't close. That might be a good thing as he'll now think it's safe. Guess we'll have to be more careful when setting the trap door.
You might need to use professionals just to be safe.

I looked into getting a professional to come out but in the state of VA they are required to euthanize "problem" wildlife once they are caught. So, for the time being, we will keep at it ourselves. We've successfully trapped one before (about 15 years ago) so I'm hoping we can do it again. We have the perfect "relocation" place at the top of the Blue Ridge Mountains. Any raccoon would be happy to live up there I'm sure!
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Return to General