eating grass in Spring

General Brittany Discussion

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Forum rules
Welcome to general discussion!

Did your Britt make you laugh today? Did he do something so smart, you are blown away? Those puppy teeth causing you to tear up, and you need an outlet? Or do you want to post a picture of his or her latest point? This is the place for it!

eating grass in Spring

Postby gagesbarb » Wed May 16, 2018 8:18 am

the most recent post in the "health" section prompted me to post this to see what you guys think...JJ and Gage are not big grass eaters unless they have upset stomachs, are very thirsty on a walk or in the Spring, when the grass is just coming up and I assume is particularly tender and tasty...yesterday on our walk, I walked by several yards where lawn services had put out those signs that said they had just been by...it occurred to me that there can be a lot of chemicals on yards, put out by services or the home owners...I won't let my husband put those things on our yard (and we have a lovely yard of weeds and wild violets mixed in the grass...they are green, though) Am I being overly cautious?
gagesbarb
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Re: eating grass in Spring

Postby Barb Wright » Wed May 16, 2018 10:34 am

You can't be too cautious where the possibility to ingest pesticides/fertilizers/other toxic chemicals is likely !!! Just because flora looks lovely doesn't mean it should be eaten...even grazers like sheep, horses, and cattle, etc. need to be kept away from newly treated grasses and other greenery. After some rains it likely is less dangerous, but still worthy of caution.
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13
Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Re: eating grass in Spring

Postby Cindy » Fri May 18, 2018 5:40 am

Every one of our dogs has been a regular grazer. And by regular, I see them eating grass every single day! We really don't have neighbors nor do we walk our dogs any place where chemicals are likely to be used which is a good thing I guess! But I definitely keep my horses off the pasture until it rains if we've fertilized and fortunately the dogs don't seem to eat the grass in our horse pasture. But I've never really figured out "why" the dogs eat grass on such a regular basis.
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Return to General