Kennel set up .

General Brittany Discussion

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Forum rules
Welcome to general discussion!

Did your Britt make you laugh today? Did he do something so smart, you are blown away? Those puppy teeth causing you to tear up, and you need an outlet? Or do you want to post a picture of his or her latest point? This is the place for it!

Kennel set up .

Postby Dave » Thu May 11, 2006 2:47 pm

After all these years I finally went and bought an outdoor kennel . Weather gets quite cold here in Mt. so I'm not making any dog stay outside during too cold of weather . I have an old garden area where I'm setting the kennel up and it has a border made from RR ties . My prefab kenel is 10 ft. longx 6 ft. high by 10ft. wide with the gate . I was wondering if I should get a sheet of plywood and lay it down instead of the grass that's in there ? I was thinking it could be a little hard on their feet , but was thinking of poop patrol . I also have to close in the top because I'm getting a fence climber / jumper . I'm also buying an IF to stop anyone from wanting to go AWOL . I'm going to have to get a second job to support this rescue habit :roll: :P Dave
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers
Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby harleygrl1219 » Thu May 11, 2006 3:23 pm

Dave you are so funny!

I have tons of straw/hay on the ground of Synder's kennels which has been great. Between her digging and running wild, she has worn out most of the grass in her kennels (which I don't mind no grass, less ticks, less bugs). She also drags her blankets/comforters out of her dog houses if she wants to lay on them.

She loves rolling around in the hay. I also have heavy duty tarps over 1/2 of the kennels in case she wants to be in the shade and the other 1/2 is open so she can sun bathe.

My husband had a fence climber/jumper. CJ has had britts forever, the last one he had, climbed the 6 foot kennel, we added fencing and made it 8 feet, than we went to 12 feet and that bugger still would get out. He would actually climb the fence and jump out. Now, the kennels look like Sing Sing Prison. It is 12 feet with the fencing curved in so no dog could ever get out.

Synder has no clue about climbing out. Thank goodness :lol: :lol:
harleygrl1219
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Re: Kennel set up .

Postby Barb Wright » Thu May 11, 2006 4:08 pm

Dave wrote:...wondering if I should get a sheet of plywood and lay it down instead of the grass that's in there ?

I tried plywood in my kennels and found it just got stinky. Cement, which can be hosed off worked best, otherwise coarse sandy/gravel worked good.

Sounds like a nice sized kennel...be sure to make flat roofed houses so they can get up off the ground if they don't want to go into the house :)
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13
Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Kennels

Postby Liz H » Fri May 12, 2006 8:02 am

That sounds like what we have, Dave. The RR ties are around the perimeter outside the wire; then I got about a ton of 'crusher run' gravel delivered and spread it in the run. That way, no mud, fewer weeks, and I figured they wouldn't want to try to tunnel thru gravel. It has worked well for us for at least 11 years. We replenished the gravel this spring with another l/2 ton.
BY THE WAY - listed to the voice of experience... GET A KID to haul and spread the gravel. The first time, the dump truck guy dumped it and all I had to do was spread it. This time my husband got the l/2 in his pickup and we slung it all over the kennel fence. That is hard work; and you should not attempt it. (I brought back my asthma a few years back shoveling gravel for our driveway - in the cold. Bad move for a 60-plus lady...lol..(*esp with no common sense!) :roll:
Liz,Max CD,RN APDT RL1 CL, RL2, CGC;Tyler CD, CGC; and at the Rainbow Bridge - Connie RCP (Retired Couch Potato)
Liz H
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby Dave » Fri May 12, 2006 8:31 am

That is hard work; and you should not attempt it. (I brought back my asthma a few years back shoveling gravel for our driveway - in the cold. Bad move for a 60-plus lady...lol..(*esp with no common sense!)

:lol: I feel the same way , forget the hand held Backhoe . I'm glad I bought a new pro built kennel . My yard is kinda slanted so I'm going to have to attach a board to the back side so they don't try digging under :roll: . I'll take some pics later for opinions if I need to move it . Right now I have a huge pine tree shading it . 8) Dave
-Will Rogers
Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Natalie » Fri May 12, 2006 10:01 am

Dave, Some of the online kennel manufacturers also sell kennel bottoms. They are a very thick, hard (yet somehow its still lightweight) plastic that may be a little easier than concrete on the pups' feet - and wouldn't get as hot in the summer. They make them in most standard kennel sizes and I think you can even custom-order sizes, too. If you're interested, I'll see if I can find the website again...
Natalie
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Postby kat » Fri May 12, 2006 9:21 pm

We just built a kennel, but we were so lucky to have found other people with kennels they didn't want anymore, so cost was negligible. Anyway, we used our existing perimeter fence for 2 sides, butted it up against the house so they can access it thru their doggy door, and ended up with a kennel about 12 ft wide and 100 ft long for almost nothing. We have 6 + ft chain link, and a jumper/climber foster right now. After much thought we ended up attaching metal slats sort of to each fence post at an angle and strung twine through each metal thing. It looks like commercial fencing with the three strings of barb-wire across the top, angled in towards the kennel. Anyway, the foster doesn't jump all the way to the top anymore, and he hasn't gotten out since. We thought about a shade cover, but our size was akward and shade cover isn't necessary because of a huge tree, the house and the fact that they can just come into the air conditioned house if it's hot out. Half of it is brick patio and half is grass, so we'll see what happens with the grassy area!
My mom is a Kat - How cool is that?
kat
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Barb Wright » Fri May 12, 2006 9:35 pm

Kat, sounds like a really nice set up :D
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13
Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Postby kat » Fri May 12, 2006 9:37 pm

For the price, it's awesome. Now, if it keeps these silly fosters in....
My mom is a Kat - How cool is that?
kat
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Dave » Fri May 19, 2006 3:21 pm

I've been so busy doing transports and fostering I haven't quite finished my kennel set up , but it's coming along . Here is my crew , even my short B/W Brittany :lol: [img][img]http://img126.imageshack.us/img126/1627/dogs519060100dt.th.jpg[/img][/img]
8) Dave
-Will Rogers
Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Rachelle » Fri May 19, 2006 4:26 pm

They look so cute together! :P
Rachelle
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby CJ » Fri May 19, 2006 5:08 pm

Just one other word about the plywood thought for flooring. In addition to the stinky factor, it's really a bad idea for health reasons. The urine and fecal bacterium grow quite nicely there. You'll end up with health issues with the dogs and not realize where they are coming from. As Harleygirl mentioned, straw isn't a bad idea, as it is ealisy raked up and changed (or at least should be). Concrete is the best way (IMLTHO) to go because it's easier to clean & disinfect. Tarps w/ those grommets top off a kennel nicely, and if it's a little over sized, you can wrap it down one side for shade. I can't remember what they're called, "hog rings" I think, for attaching the tarp to the sides. Just don't use them if the wire isn't thick enough/weld strong enough to take some tug if the wind picks up.
Oh, if you use gravel, just make sure to get something to spay it with to dissinfect from time to time that won't stay in the top layer of the dirt if it shouldn't be ingested.
CJ
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Postby DualCH Brits » Sun May 21, 2006 1:16 am

Dave -

Get some cheap concrete pavers....10x10 squares or there abouts and set them in 1/2 of the kennel and use a 1/2 load of pea gravel on the other half, seperating the two edges with some of the scalloped garden dividers. The scalloped garden dividers wiill help hold the pea gravel in and off the pavers and will offer the dogs a potty area ( use the sloped side for gravel for drainage purposes). Lay your pea gravel over heavy duty hog wire to discourage diggers Get some 18 " rebar ( or 24" if you feel ambitious) and drive it all the way flush into the ground along the entire edges of your kennel on a 6-8" span apart. Any serious diggers will hit the rebar and be discouraged long before they dig far enough down to get under it and out.

The pavers and pea gravel hose off and can be disinfected, sanitized and deodorized easily without a lot of fuss or muss. The pavers provide a smooth surface for lounging and pea gravel provides a cleaner more easily drained potty area. If it were me, I'd top the entire kennel and shade tarp over the paver section too.

The pea gravel keeps the dogs out of the mud in the spring and fall and the rebar allows for proper drainage into the soil without the muss of a plywood backing on the kennel which will invite the gnawers and chewers,as well as a bacterial build up and natural erosion of the wood.

Your basic set up looks great so far!!!

PS....the kennel design was adpted from a Kuvask breeder and has been VERY successful for her gos that all weigh in between 70 and 120 pounds of DESTRUCTO DOGS!!!
Helen
Wild Mtn Brittanys
Western Pennsylvania
www.wildmtnbrittanys.com
DualCH Brits
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby AuntieMom » Sun May 21, 2006 8:36 pm

Dave, I had to laugh at your "expensive" habit. We adopted our little girl not knowing she was actually a liver and white commando. We had to replace our four foot fence with a six foot wood fence. Cost us a bundle. What can I say, the dog can still get over the new fence. We ALMOST installed a live wire but then I came to my senses. I figured that I'd be out gardening and zap myself. Then after eight months with us, she decided to quit scaling fences. Part of it is she does not see prey like she could with the chain link. All of our foster boys together have not been the trouble of this ONE little girl.
AuntieMom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Cindy » Mon May 22, 2006 6:09 am

Well you all make me feel better. We installed fencing around our enitre property because our old deaf dog Casey had gotten hit at the bottom of our driveway. Bear in mind, we live on a dirt road in the middle of no where - must have been a FedEx of UPS driver is all we could figure. Anyway, when we got younger dogs I didn't trust the fencing so then we spent $1500 and had invisible fencing installed around 5 acres and put up a gate at the bottom of the driveway. Then there was the mudroom addition equiped with a dog door so they could get in and out in very hot or very cold weather. Their normal "doghouse" is our garage but that's not climate controlled. Also hot water on our deck so they don't get cold in the winter when they need to be cleaned up! Oh yeah - health insurance for the 2 yonger ones and now we adding a cancer rider to the policy.

Hmmm - now that I'm reading this over, maybe I don't feel better!!! Guess you do what you have to do!
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Return to General