Oakley is a WHAT?!?!

General Brittany Discussion

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Forum rules
Welcome to general discussion!

Did your Britt make you laugh today? Did he do something so smart, you are blown away? Those puppy teeth causing you to tear up, and you need an outlet? Or do you want to post a picture of his or her latest point? This is the place for it!

Oakley is a WHAT?!?!

Postby holisticmom » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:50 pm

Well...no Britt in there. :shock: We went to the vet's on Friday due to a nasty tummy bug. I'd been scouring sites looking for Pyr-Britt mixes and found none who resembled Oakley, but several hound/Pyrs who do. I asked Dr. S what she thought. She looked him over, pointed out a few of his features (more of a hound head/ears/bark and howl), the double dew claws on the back legs and the shepherd's crook tail of a Pyr). She is of the learned opinion that he is a Foxhound/Great Pyr blend.

No wonder he didn't behave like a Britt! The Pyr makes him more of a couch potato, and he's still getting used to being outdoors. I think Oakley's coloring threw the shelter vet off. It ends up that Pyrs can have chestnut markings, too--rather rare, but it happens. And was prized by the French nobility.

Yes, he's going to be a big boy--57 lbs as of last week. Not quite what we were expecting, but so what? He's turning into a loyal, loving, if loud companion. His obedience teachers said he's one of the smartest dogs they've ever worked with.

On the way home, Billy Joel's "Just the Way You Are" came on the radio while we were at a stoplight. I kissed Oakley on top of his head, and he gave me a huge smooch in turn.

I think we are on the road to happy ever after. 8)
The point of [dog guardianship] is to open oneself to becoming partly a dog...Edward Hoagland
holisticmom
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Re: Oakley is a WHAT?!?!

Postby Canned Ice » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:25 pm

This post just makes me smile. :D
Buckley - I own this mountain.
Canned Ice
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby kat » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:10 pm

Me too! And glad to hear the car rides are going so smoothly now, is he settling down now with all the love and consistency he's getting there with you? I think we'd all love a picture of your honorary Britt!
My mom is a Kat - How cool is that?
kat
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Barb Wright » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:33 pm

Happy smiles here too :D I'm thinking I need to move this thread up to General because whether he likes it or not I think Oakley is already an Honorary Britt 8)
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13
Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Postby Cindy » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:02 am

Barb Wright wrote: I'm thinking I need to move this thread up to General because whether he likes it or not I think Oakley is already an Honorary Britt 8)

My thoughts exactly! Yes, we want to see a picture!
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Postby Barb Wright » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:52 am

It's now official.....Welcome Oakley to the ranks of HONORARY BRITTANY 8) 8) Only one requirement.....Pictures :!:
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13
Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Postby adele » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:15 pm

I don't get to visit as often as I'd like anymore. I had to search "Oakley" to find out who he was. Quite a surprise package :D :lol: Lola's been bugging me all day to go outside but its too hot. I wouldn't mind a little laid back Pyraneese right now myself.
adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby AuntieMom » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:13 pm

Prized by royalty ... how neat is that. So we will call him Prince Oakley, Son of Holistic Mom. :D Makes it sound like he should be at Westminster. :P Glad the road to happy ever after is in view.
Trapper, CharLee & Kallie
AuntieMom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Return to General