Any gardeners out there?

For all off topic chats.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Any gardeners out there?

Postby Mark » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:17 am

We had 3 primary reasons for picking a house with land: 1) Dogs + Acreage = nirvana, 2) Kids + Acreage = nirvana, 3) We have always wanted to garden.

So one of our first outdoor projects at the new place was to build the garden. We have quite a bit of wildlife here, and the deer are notorious for ruining gardens in this area, so it all started with building a 5' fence. This took me most of last summer, and so the fence/garden area had a nice hibernation over the winter. Then, this spring, we built a bunch of planter boxes:

And then mixed/filled them with a compost/peat/vermiculite based soil:

Then built a gate:

And planted a bunch of seeds, and a couple of tomato plants:

So fast forward to now:

One of Jen's prized dinner plate daliahs:

And the 12' tall giant sunflowers:

So is anyone else out there into gardening? We're absolutely loving it- the veggies, the flowers... a nice peaceful place to hang out (we plan on putting a table/benches in the middle next spring, so we can have dinner out there).
Wheeeeeeeee!!!

Monty.
He's so hot right now.
Monty.
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Any gardeners out there?

Postby rtropeano » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:11 pm

Marb, absolutely gorgeous. I do some container gardening myself - but no where near this magnitude - it's all veggies - no flowers.
I'm envious :)
Rose

"I didn't do nothing, Mama!"
Daisy Mae, CGC, TDI, CTL1-F
rtropeano
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Cindy » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:39 pm

Really nice job and the garden looks beautiful. Wish you were closer by and I'd give you a never ending supply of composted horse manure! Don't be surprised if the 5' fence doesn't do the trick (it barely keeps dogs out around here!) but you can always add to it or run an electric wire around. Deer are very smart and love to eat gardens, especially those items which say "deer do not eat!!" :D
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Postby Barb Wright » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:56 pm

Mark, and Jen, your garden is turning out lovely :) It's great fun isn't it :D As a gardener I'm a "work in progress" too.....when we moved here to AZ in '08 I was really thrilled to get started on having a nice vegetable garden. Each year I get a little better at figuring out what does best in our high, dry climate. It is soooo rewarding to go out into my courtyard and "harvest" something to put on the table :D You look like you are off to a great start.....good luck with your harvests :)
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13
Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Return to Off Topic