PJ

For all questions/discussion on other breeds.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

PJ

Postby adleblanc » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:20 am

I haven’t been on this forum in several years. I wanted to share with the group that we put PJ down last December mostly due to his dementia, but he was also having issues with his back hips. He was extremely anxious all the time. He no longer recognized people, didn’t love his car rides anymore, and was not sleeping at night which means I was up all night long trying to calm him down. He also had back arthritis and hip dysphasia causing him to fall down all the time. I like most others hoped he would pass on his own, but that didn’t happen. A month shy of his 14th birthday we decided it was time to help him. I’m one of those who always doubt if I did the right thing. Was it really his time? It took two rounds of medication for him to finally pass. I thought my heart would be broken more, but maybe I really did know in my heart it was time. I wanted to thank everyone who gave me advice over the last 14 years. I met a lot of wonderful people during my journey with PJ.
Life is like a dog sled team. If you ain't the lead dog, the scenery never changes. ~Lewis Grizzard
adleblanc
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Re: PJ

Postby Barb Wright » Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:09 am

Oh Adele, saddened to hear about PJ, I remember some of the discussions from quite a while ago. Most of us here know the feeling of loss you are going through, and from what you relayed I'm sure you did the right thing at the right time.....hopefully good memories of your life with PJ will over time be what you remember the most.
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13
Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Postby Cindy » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:15 pm

So sorry to hear about PJ. We went through a similar scenario with Kayla and the decision to put her down was very difficult to make. In the end it was based on quality of life and she was just not enjoying it any more... not recognizing us, constant pacing, getting stuck in corners, not sleeping at night, etc. etc. Now, a few years later, I can remember all of the good days and how full of life she was. It just takes time as I'm sure you know. Hang in there.
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Postby gagesbarb » Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:49 pm

I just saw this and am so sorry...I remember great stories about PJ and his adventures...it is always so hard to lose them :cry: Unfortunately, I know what you mean about second guessing yourself, but something my vet said once has stayed with me--no matter how hard it is to let them go, we have to remember who we are making the decision for and be willing to accept our sadness in order to let them have peace... and you obviously did that...
gagesbarb
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Return to Other Breeds