Who's had other breeds?

For all questions/discussion on other breeds.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Favorite gun dog breed?

Poll ended at Sun Jun 20, 2004 10:41 am

Britt
54%
Lab
15%
Golden
8%
GSP/GWP
8%
Springer
15%
Cocker
No votes
Grey Ghost (Weimie)
No votes
Pointer
No votes
Setter
No votes
Other
No votes

Total votes : 13

Postby Brenda Dom » Tue May 25, 2004 5:16 pm

Quoting Barb:

Oh, Brenda, I can just see it....and I bet the Sammy just sat back in serene elegance and smiled that Sammy only smile at all those nutsy hunting dogs ('n cats)

Barb:

The samoyed, Kenosh, was blissfully serene about everything and she did have a wonderful (perpetual) smile. She was the youngest of the bunch, joining the menagerie at 8 weeks. I always thought she had an "old soul." She was much calmer than either of my britts and even as a young pup she'd look up at you with such wise eyes.... She loked to play, but she always gave the impression that it was your idea and she just wanted to please you, lol.

Brenda Dom
Kelcy, Susie, Bodie and Max
"Some of us learn forgiveness by studying the lives of saints. And some of us keep dogs. . . ." - Charles Gusewelle
Brenda Dom
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Postby kw » Thu May 27, 2004 7:55 pm

My grandfather had daschunds. I was crawling with up to 10 at one point in time. My father had German Shepherds. We were into Schutzhund and were showing our dogs. We had up to 12 GSDs at one point in time and a total of about 18 GSDs. The pedigree of our most famous female can be seen here: http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/gsd/pedigree/676.html
If you click on progeny, you can see her 2 most famous sons, Yasso and Yambo. We bought her about a year after she had those 2 dogs and she was the dam of seven of the 12 dogs we had. We lost our last GSD in 2000. My dad has given up on dogs as he says "it's too difficult going through all that grief of losing them again".

I first experienced Britt's when I was running our boarding kennel. They were the sweetest things. I decided to get Britt's when I first came across ABR while surfing on one of the boring days at work about 4 yrs back. I bought my house last January and couldn't understand why I got the one with a huge backyard as I do not have a green thumb. Three months after getting the house I knew why I went for the big backyard - a house is not a house without a dog in it. I got my first Britt last April, fostered one in July (it was tough letting him go) and got my second Britt in Nov. I doubt if I'll get another one as I now have my hands full with these two nuts.
kw
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Postby rotarysbritt » Fri May 28, 2004 9:39 am

Well, let me see.......we have Carly a 9 year old Chocolate Lab, Moya a 3 year old Dobie gal (who is like a mom to our Britt!) and of course Maestro who is a 6 year old O&W Britt.

Over the years I've had a mini Doxie, a Golden, an Aussie, a Portegeuse Water Dog, a Malamute/Golden, and a Golden/Shep/Malamute.

My favorites breeds.....well I'll just say thatI will always have a Doberman, but the rest will be Britts!! :)
"Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole." Roger Carras
rotarysbritt
Puppy

Postby Mary Ann » Fri May 28, 2004 11:26 am

We had mutts when we were growing up until my sister bought a Wire Haired Terrier for my parents. When I got married I bought a Lhasa Apso(sp) who was the runt of the littler but turned into a "tall" Lhasa. His name was Sneakers. After Sneakers my husband said he liked spaniels. I saw an ad in the paper for a brittany spaniel for $50. My daughter we 6 and 7. WE went to see them and they had a liver & white and a mostly white with just a little orange. I had never heard of brittanies before that. We took the L&W. They let the pupies run thru the potato patch so Missy was a muddy mess when we got her home. She was 4 months old. I put her in the tub and tried to wash her freckles off! I'm amazed she ever came by me after that. She lived to be 16. WHen she was 15 I started to look for another dog. My girls had gone to college and my husbas work evenings and nights. I found ABR and kept searchiing. I found Hunter. He was about 20 miles away from us. I went to see him and I fell in love the minute I saw him. I will never get another breed and I will always get one from ABR!
Mary Ann
Mary Ann
Puppy Kindergarten Grad
Puppy Kindergarten Grad

Other Breeds

Postby Barbara Collins » Fri May 28, 2004 3:13 pm

We didn't have any dogs when I was growing up, so I am the newbie to the dog world. About five years ago, step-son wanted a dog, a german shorthair. We couldn't pay $300+ for one, so he started reading the ads in the local newspaper. One day, there was an ad for a litter of half german shorthair, half lab puppies, so he picked out the one with the most german shorthair markings, which was also the runt of the litter and named her Lucky. She has the classic gs markings, solid color head, ticked body with some large patches, except she is jet black and white, instead of liver and white. Since step-son was in high school sports, Lucky was lonely, so when she was about eight months old, we visited the local animal shelter and picked out a purebred german shorthair, also eight months old, and named her Sara. (they had three gs to choose from!) Up to 2 dogs.

My husband had had a brittany when he was younger and wanted another, so when an acquaintance had a litter of 11 (Wow!!), he took one of those, and named her Bailey. As much as I liked the first two dogs, that little brittany just stole my heart. When Bailey's littermate was returned to the breeder when they were 18 months old, I took her for "my" dog and named her Missy. Up to 4 dogs.

Step-daughter had been asking for a golden retriever, but we said no, four dogs are enough. One day a friend asked us if we would take her nine-month old golden because she couldn't keep him any more, so he became dog number five. Four was okay, five is overwhelming, at times. We refer to them as "the herd".

The brittanies are my favorite. And they are perfect for each other, the same age and energy level, so they wear themselves out.
Barbara Collins
Puppy

Postby Jen » Fri May 28, 2004 7:15 pm

Barb,

They are just like potato chips, you can't have just one :lol:

The most that I have been up to is 6 at one time, 3 foster Britts and 3 non-britts. We refer to ours as the Pack. The only time that it really is annoying is when we tried to pack everyone in my station wagon, I don't think the car was made for 6 dogs, two adults and a toddler.

Jen
Jen
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby Betty L. » Mon Jul 05, 2004 10:00 pm

Hi! I'm a newbie to the Board, but I thought I'd chime in - I've had Labs before I got my Britt from ABR a year ago! Kip, my Britt, is a better hunter (okay, it's frogs and lizards) than either of my Labs ever were and my other dog is a Lab/Dalmation mix, who looks like a Black Lab, but I think he's allergic to water - I'm surprised he even drinks it! :D
Betty L.
Puppy Kindergarten Grad
Puppy Kindergarten Grad

Postby PuppyGurl101189 » Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:27 pm

When I was a little kid I had an All American Mutt! Then we had a bichon/poodle for about 4 months(didn't work out with us), then we had a lab/pitbull mix that died when he was 2(pts cuz he nearly bit my friend and he was sick) and then we got Dahlila and Cinco!
PuppyGurl101189
Puppy

Postby milkbones4hannah » Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:48 pm

My dog history (in 34 years time!) :oops:

1.feral born retreiver/collie/shep mix-rescue
2. purebred pet-store beagle
3.samoyed/siberianhusky mix-pound pup
4.english springer spaniels (2, pet store- type)
5.great dane/lab retriever cross-rescue
6. rottweiler/great dane/german shepherd mix (2 brothers)-from friends litter
7.Akita/Rottweiler girl- rescue
8.Brittany #1
9.Brittany #2, still have
10. Greyhound #1 still have
11. fostered another greyhound #2
All the Best
Jennifer
Triumphant's Grand Hannah aka Hannah
12/12/94-01/31/09 miss you ol' girl.
milkbones4hannah
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby milkbones4hannah » Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:49 pm

oops I forgot my Boxer Capone!
All the Best
Jennifer
milkbones4hannah
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby milkbones4hannah » Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:54 pm

I hope to foster some brittanys and maybe another greyhound or 2 in the next few years. Kevin and I currently have our 900 sq. foot house for sale. We are looking for a bigger home, same town. When we get settled we hope to do more for the rescue part of things. Brittanys are just so loveable, it is SSSSOOOO hard to have just one. :lol:
All the Best
Jennifer
milkbones4hannah
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby Carol » Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:05 pm

I have two other pooches...

Snickers, a Terrier mix that we got from the pound and Annabelle a Cocker mix that we got from a no-kill shelter.

Growing up we had Siberian Huskies, a Carin Terrier, and lots of good old Heinz 57 mixes. LOL!

My doggie wish list: More Brits, Clumber Spaniel, Sussex Spaniel, Field Spaniel, Golden Retriever, Flat-Coat Retriever, Bassett Hound, Bouvier de Flanders, and on and on and on and on. But you know what, I'd take a mutt too. Dogs are just the best.
Kiss my nose, you know you want to.

Check out my blog at www.fugitivefromthedogstar.blogspot.com
Carol
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Postby HOPE » Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:02 pm

Well my first was a cocker spaniel mix, her name was Grumpy, and I name her like that because every time you woke her up she would be upset but she was so sweat. Next I adopted another cocker spaniel from a couple getting divorce and did not want him no more his name was Freckles. He was a faithful companion and was always there. Next came Freckles JR my very first Brittany. My sister tried to find another cocker spaniel but what she found was a Brittany spaniel. He was the cutest puppy ever but men he destroyed everything he found. He was a great dog and with him I fell in love with the breed. Other than destroying, they are sweat, smart and so playful that my DH and I we decided for another Brit "HOPE". She is great, smart and beautiful and a great cousin for Spotsie the cocker spaniel which I consider sort of my second daughter.
Jackie M.
I promise I will be good this year
HOPE
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Kathy » Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:41 am

Umm, grew up with cats ... no dogs. Actually, I feared dogs because I was bitten by a german shepard when I was 5 years old.

Then I got married & hubby wanted a dog ... so for his birthday, I got all the stuff for a dog (baby gates, nets, dishes ... never thought to get carpet cleaner & the green machine ...) and let him pick out a dog for his birthday. He scanned through the "dogs for sale" in the paper, saw brittany spaniel & called. I knew nothing about dogs, let alone brits. Hubby got a brit because his childhood mutt was some type of spaniel & he wanted a spaniel ...

... so based on our ignorance, we got Duke ("the birthday gift that keeps on giving"), who taught us a lot ... and then we took in a 2nd dog (Herman) 10 years later ... and then Hunter ... and then started to foster ... and the green machine has just about had it :!:

-Kathy
Herman "Happy Soul" ABR Sept 2002
Hunter "Mr. Wiggles" ABR Apr 2005
Kathy
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Lisa H » Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:59 pm

Well, we always had dogs growing up. The first I remember is a cocker spaniel, then a shepherd cross who lived to be 13, then my parents split, we left behind the shepherd cross and proceeded to move around alot and everywhere I got another dog from a shelter. In hindsight, I don't get why I couldn't of just taken the one we had! Anyway, there was...Ceasar, Pepper, Scamper (all mutts). Then as a teenager living on my own, another mutt named Jempsin, along with my sisters Old English Sheepdog. Then when I married, a large shep cross who had health issues most of her short 9yrs and a spitz/dal cross. Then Toby, my soft coated wheaten look alike mutt who is still with me at 17 yrs. Then an australian shepherd for 4 yrs. Then came the brittany's...Lefty the shelter adoption and now Annie the NBRAN rescue. I love the Brittany but I know I would also like just a plain "mutt"again...and an aussie....and doberman......and papillion....okay, I had better stop now! :lol:
Take care....Lisa H
Lisa H
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Other Breeds