Who's had other breeds?

For all questions/discussion on other breeds.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Favorite gun dog breed?

Poll ended at Sun Jun 20, 2004 10:41 am

Britt
54%
Lab
15%
Golden
8%
GSP/GWP
8%
Springer
15%
Cocker
No votes
Grey Ghost (Weimie)
No votes
Pointer
No votes
Setter
No votes
Other
No votes

Total votes : 13

Postby Natalie » Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:28 pm

We always had black/silver German Shepherds growing up. Well, I think the 1st was black/tan and the next two were black/silver. My grandad lived on a farm though and dogs were constantly being "dropped off" out there, so he always had a menagerie of breeds and mutts for us to play with.

When I decided to get a dog of my own, I thought about another GSD, but wasn't sure I could lift one on my own if the need arose, so opted for a medium sized dog. Did lots of breed reseach (and lurked on this board) for about a year, then settled on a Brittany (plus fosters). So glad, so glad. :D :D :D
Natalie
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Postby Barb Wright » Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:50 pm

Natalie wrote:...We always had black/silver German Shepherds growing up...

Hmmmm....I always thought the black/silver GS was actually an Alsatian, which was (I thought) a different strain. Sort of like the difference between a French Britt and and American Britt.

I grew up with GSD's and we had one that was black/silver and my step-dad (actually from Germany) said he was an Alsatian. Do you know??? Just curious.....
Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Postby Natalie » Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:07 am

I have never heard of an Alsatian, Barb, although that probably doesn't mean much. I wasn't much into research back then. :wink: I do know that both of ours were AKC registered GSDs - from the same sire, too. I couldn't tell any difference at all between the black/tan and the black/silver, other than the coloring - so if they are a different strain, well - I don't think there's much difference. You do have me curious though...my Dad may know more about it, since he specifically looked for the black/silver GSD when we bought the first one. I'll have to ask him and see if he remembers hearing anything about it.
Natalie
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Postby Barb Wright » Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:29 am

Well, just a quickie search determined that it is just another name for the German Shepherd......sooooo, don't know what my step-dad meant when he used that term for the black/silver. Regardless, they were all named Blitzen :D Great dogs.....but must say I hate what they have done to the breed with the "slinky" look :evil: There is so much angulation in the rear that they can't even move properly anymore...GAAAHHH I hate it when breeders get fixated on a "characteristic" and go nuts :evil:
Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Postby adleblanc » Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:52 am

Growing up I had a Brittany Spaniel named Rusty and a Cocker Spainel named Chucky. Chucky was from a puppy mill and we had to put him down at the age of 6 due to a bunch of problems with him. Rusty lived until the age of 13. Then we got Pepper our Springer Spaniel. After two years I had convienced my parents we needed a second dog and we should get a Brittany. We then got Brett who is still with my parents back east. Pepper had to be put down in 2005 at the age of 13 almost 14 years old.We also had two rabbits (I was to young to remember the first one) The second rabbit was a mini lop who lived to be 11 which is very old for a rabbit. We also had a cat who was such a love bug. Now that I live with my husband we have PJ our Springer and a cat named Mesha. What can I say...fur kids are the best.

Andrea
adleblanc
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Postby Lorie » Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:01 am

My first and only dog when I grew up was a poodle a miniature apricot one, named Mandy. My Mom was a clean freak and would not allow pets, other than a couple fish. The only reason I ended up with it was because my Aunt passed away and no one wanted him, somehow Mom allowed us to take him.
Once I became an adult was married, we did take pets in for the soldiers who were on deployments, away on vacations, etc...It gave the chance for the kids to see how much work goes into owning a pet. I felt that having the kids was enough when it came time to move. Some of the assignments the military gives us overseas has strick quarintines and there was no way I was going to be seperated from my dog for a month or more. Even in the US sometimes the pets still end up in boarding. Melanie did for about 2 weeks when we moved from MO to TX. We got Melanie on our last assignment and Lex on this current and happy to say final assignment. Both of them are wonderful Brittany girls.
I would safely say that if we were to get another dog we would still do the same breed, best to stick with what you know.
Lorie

"Yesterday I was a dog. Today I'm a dog. Tomorrow I will probably be a dog. Sigh! There's so little room for advancement."
Snoopy
Lorie
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby imzadipyrgirl » Sun Apr 08, 2007 5:24 pm

Okay,

well when I was born my parents had a German Shepherd mix...then we got a Lab/Doberman mix. She had puppies and we kept one of hers.

Starting with my dogs now...
I have had a Great Pyrenees (my heart and soul still lies with that breed) an Austrailan Cattle Dog/Border Collie mix and right now I have a terrier mix, an American Cocker Spaniel/Beagle mix, a Collie/St.Bernard mix, a Beagle (I show in conformation) a terrier mix and now a Brittany....I'm all over the place!

I have competed in agility and obedience, currently show a beagle in conformation and am looking to get my brit into agility, obedience and/or rally...I love to do everything it seems lol! Always busy!
imzadipyrgirl
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Postby Elwood » Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:37 pm

our siamese retrieves. He loves to play fetch with paper balls or tin foil balls. I thought he was just weird. :lol:
dogster us
Elwood
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Postby imzadipyrgirl » Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:02 pm

I've heard of siamese retrieving before, wonder why they are so prone to that
imzadipyrgirl
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Postby Mona Lisa » Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:30 pm

Dogs; french bulldog, brittany, standard poodle

Cats; oriental shorthair, burmese

Horses; paso fino's, and various mixes
Mona Lisa
Puppy Kindergarten Grad
Puppy Kindergarten Grad

I grew up with Jinx

Postby maggiemae » Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:30 pm

Jinx was a mixed breed, I was probably about 4 when we got her. I accidently slamed her tail in a screen dog, so she had a crooked tail from then on. We had her until I was a sophomore in college. She was a wonderful old girl who I could share whatever was on my mind with. She lived for 15 yrs.

Then I had Holly a Irish Setter who lived about that long as well. Then a Shelti mix who found me. He had seizures and had to cross that bridge after about 3 years with us.

I then bought a Golden Retriever for my son, but he left for college, so she is with me.

My other son's girlfriend's Mom bought her a Brittany, Max. I babysat him for about 2 yrs and have never seen a smarter, more loving dog. He unexpectedly got a bleeding disorder afte a little cut on his paw and within 2 days was gone. Very tragic loss for all of us.

I only lasted about 1 1/2 months, and had to have a Brittany for myself. I didn't know about ABR then, and found Koty on petfinder.com. He is a love-bug, and keeps my golden on her toes.

My Mom didn't like cats, so I got my first cat at the SPCA, he was awesome, and was with us for about 6 years. Then he took off after another cat and I didn't see him again for about 2 months. He must have gotten in a fight with another animal, and my neighbor found him in his bushes, sadly not alive.

That same neighbor's daughter brought home a cat and her Mom wouldn't let her keep her, so I took her. She is a very independent girl who likes to be held like a baby burping on your shoulder! Then we got 2 Blue Russian sisters at the SPCA, and so I now have 2 dogs and 3 cats.

One of the cat sister's loves Koty and will curl up right next to him. He looks at me like "Mom, do I hafta do this?" But he lets her stay, and she lets him chase her around the house some.

I don't think I will ever have another breed than Brittany. they are in my blood now!

Margaret

maggiemae
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Re: Who's had other breeds?

Postby hoppsmom » Thu May 16, 2013 8:20 pm

In looking at this as gun dogs in the sense of that is what the breed is, and not actually having any hunting experience with dogs, I really have to go with the hound Brittany mutt mix. I've grown up with labs, and they have been great dogs. But both are gun shy. The mutt, though, is not gun shy, has natural animal instinct (he will track), and he also has a good recall (the one trait that the labs also had).
hoppsmom
Puppy Kindergarten Grad
Puppy Kindergarten Grad

Previous

Return to Other Breeds