What's your State dog? Update

For all questions/discussion on other breeds.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

What's your State dog? Update

Postby DelawareBritts » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:15 am

Me BAD...the bill was introduced in the 143 General Assembly, by Rep Robert Valihura, Jr. 5/10/2006 and out of committee 6/07/2006 (it was dropped). Proposed HB 420 to Amend Title 29, Chapter 3, New Section 320, which is now occupied by § 320. State macroinvertebrate...the Stonefly is officially recognized...???? :roll: :P :lol: :lol: :lol:

Delaware is not a state, is a very large community. Legislation is usually proposed by the "good old boys" in the house and senate for friends and family. Yes, it is good to recognize people and events but they went too far this time. Proposed and approved and now part of Delaware's history is that our State dog is.....get this....a pug??????? Now, how the heck is a pug suppose to represent Delaware with all that snorting and yapping (or maybe really represents Delaware and our legislature). Delaware is pretty diverse and mostly an agricultural state. Beaches in the south and city in the north...everything in between is pretty much farm land that is being over developed. Hunting is a big thing here in Delaware and people actually take their vacations, not for the holidays or to get away but to go hunting :lol: They could have at least proposed some type of sport/hunting breed :?: What were they thinking?

What is your State's dog?
Last edited by DelawareBritts on Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
I sleep with Brittanys...
DelawareBritts
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Re: What's your State dog?

Postby mkilcz » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:58 am

Maryland's is the Chesapeake Bay Retriever. No big surprise there!

Marge
mkilcz
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby Canned Ice » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:38 am

American Foxhound in VA. Spending as much time in the forest as I do, it should be the abandoned beagle. :evil:
Buckley - I own this mountain.
Canned Ice
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby headtrip_honey » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:42 am

DelawareBritts wrote:Delaware is not a state, is a very large community. Legislation is usually proposed by the "good old boys" in the house and senate for friends and family. Yes, it is good to recognize people and events but they went too far this time. Proposed and approved and now part of Delaware's history is that our State dog is.....get this....a pug??????? Now, how the heck is a pug suppose to represent Delaware with all that snorting and yapping (or maybe really represents Delaware and our legislature). Delaware is pretty diverse and mostly an agricultural state. Beaches in the south and city in the north...everything in between is pretty much farm land that is being over developed. Hunting is a big thing here in Delaware and people actually take their vacations, not for the holidays or to get away but to go hunting :lol: They could have at least proposed some type of sport/hunting breed :?: What were they thinking?

What is your State's dog?

Ewwwwwwwww! When did that happen?

I agree that a nice hunting dog would have been better. Pug to me screams "uptown" city. And while I live in northern Delaware, even the "city" isn't that "city."

Don't get me wrong, pugs can be sweet (I knew a very nice one named Stella), but definitely not my first choice.

Why not the Chesapeake Bay Retriever? It'd at least make more sense....

EDIT: I see that Maryland already has that one. And rightly so!

Another edit! Why not a dog with Dutch roots, like the Wirehaired Pointing Griffon? (The Dutch were the first to colonize Delaware)
-Emily
Image Image Image Image
Hunter (RIP 09.16.04-02.28.09), Lizzy, Bree and Jack
headtrip_honey
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby Jessica » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:50 am

Illinois doesn't have a state dog...however we do have a state snack food (popcorn) :roll:
Image Image
Eli: rescued 12/20/07........Lily: rescued 05/16/09

"If you don't own a dog, at least one, there is not necessarily anything wrong with you, but there may be something wrong with your life."
~Roger Caras
Jessica
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Postby Muddy Creek Britts » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:59 am

PA's is the Great Dane. Figured ours would be a German something-or-another. Everything else in PA is German.
Brian
Muddy Creek Britts
"When a dog runs at you, whistle for him." ~~Henry David Thoreau
Muddy Creek Britts
Zinger
Zinger

Postby headtrip_honey » Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:07 am

Muddy Creek Britts wrote:PA's is the Great Dane. Figured ours would be a German something-or-another. Everything else in PA is German.

Well the Great Dane, despite the name, is of German origin. :)

In Germany it is called the "German Mastiff".

There's a long and convoluted reason why it's called a "dane" in English speaking countries.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Dane#History

Also, even if the dog IS originally from Denmark (no hard historical evidence points to that, though...just circumstantial evidence), Denmark itself borders Germany. So there's a lot of cross-culture there. German states and Denmark fought over boundaries for years. :)
-Emily
Image Image Image Image
Hunter (RIP 09.16.04-02.28.09), Lizzy, Bree and Jack
headtrip_honey
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby Kerplunk105 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:27 am

Muddy Creek Britts wrote:PA's is the Great Dane. Figured ours would be a German something-or-another. Everything else in PA is German.

Ha ha ha. I didnt even know PA had a state dog.
Elizabeth
Leena, Brittany/GSP mix 11/11/08-9/17/09
Bliss, Labrador 1/18/00-12/30/13
Tegan, Weim/Labrador mix
Kerplunk105
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Postby Barb Wright » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:35 am

Oh how easy it is to get off onto a journey of "discovery" :lol: :wink: Since I am just a recent transplant from Alaska I had to check back and see what dog they chose...well, seems it is still up for grabs. One site says they never made a choice because there are two breeds very popular in the state, the Siberian Husky and the Alaskan Malamute....however, another site states that the Malemute is the the state dog :? So, I guess you get to decide.

Arizona doesn't seem to have a state dog....but it has a state Cat :shock: the Ringtailed Cat.....whooda thunk :shock: :wink:
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13
Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Postby janet909 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:52 pm

Colorado, as far as I can find, doesn't have a state dog....hmmmm. Nor a state cat. Just a flower, tree,bird and song :|
janet909
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby StFrost » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:17 pm

Who would'a thought....

here is the list of domestic state animals...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._state_mammals
StFrost
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby holisticmom » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:25 pm

The Brittany is the state dog of Michigan. I grew up there. :D
The point of [dog guardianship] is to open oneself to becoming partly a dog...Edward Hoagland
holisticmom
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Re: What's your State dog? Update

Postby adele » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:17 pm

Well, I live in Nova Scotia and as far as I know we are the only province to have a dog. Its the Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever no big surprise there either. There nice little dogs, no black allowed in them either so they have the same nose colour as an ow brit.
adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby collegeboundbritt » Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:44 pm

Near as I can tell Nebraska doesn't have one either:(

Ironically enough though while I was searching the "Nebraska State Dog" it pulled up the State Fair Dog show and I and my Beagle/American Cocker Spaniel mix were listed lol:)
Paris and Neelix
collegeboundbritt
Puppy

Postby Helen E. » Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:16 am

Out of 26 (?) state symbols, Florida doesn't have a state dog. :( We do have a butterfly, horse, shell, soil, and beverage! :roll:
Helen E.
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Next

Return to Other Breeds