Controversy in Baltimore

For all questions/discussion on other breeds.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Controversy in Baltimore

Postby mkilcz » Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:30 pm

There has been ongoing controversy this past week in the Baltimore headlines regarding the shooting of an unleashed Siberian husky at a dog park. Apparentlly the husky was approached by a leashed German Shepherd and the dogs began to play. The shepherd's owner was an off-duty federal officer, and the dog was a pet, not a police dog. Stories conflict about exactly what happened next, but evidently the play became rough and the officer felt that he and his dog were in danger. The end result was that the officer drew his gun and fired at the husky, who died a few hours later. Neither the officer or his dog had any bites or injuries when they were examined afterwards. When the story was first reported, the officer had already been cleared of any wrong-doing and there wasn't even going to be an investigation, but overwhelming public outcry has resulted in the case being reopened and possible charges being brought.
So what do you think? Both dogs came from Rescue. The husky's owner maintains that the dog was friendly, never harmed another dog, and that the breed just tends to play aggressively. I can relate... Jack and Rocket look like they're trying to kill each other when they are "playing". They bark and snarl and go for each other's neck and try to get each other on the ground. But they NEVER hurt each other, never any blood or intentional injuries. So... maybe the officer misinterpreted what was going on. But drawing a weapon? Why would you even take a gun to the dog park in the first place? I don't know, but this story just breaks my heart.

Marge
mkilcz
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Re: Controversy in Baltimore

Postby Humphrey's Mom » Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:35 pm

I am interested in what else comes out in the investigation too. Some articles I read made a big deal about the husky being off leash, but being able to run off leash is why most people take their dogs to a dog park. But why bring a gun to a dog park? And it does make one wonder how quick that officer would shoot his gun when a teenager who is pulling out a cell phone or wallet instead of a gun.

I can understand wanting to protect his dog, but it was not like the husky was "attacking" some little foofoo dog... husky and shepherd seems like an even fight. and if there was no blood, why would he feel that his shepherd was in mortal danger?

Just can't imagine going to the dog park for a relaxing evening run, and coming back with a dead dog. :cry:

Humphrey's Mom
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby Cindy » Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:08 pm

That is a very sad story. Hard to say who (if anyone) is at fault since we weren't there. But I've certainly witnessed VERY rough play that sounded like the dogs were killing each other but really weren't. My OES and a neighbor's Golden used to play by grabbing each others necks or collars. It freaked me out in the beginning but they were always best friends and happy to see each other. Never any blood so that indicates the dogs weren't trying to hurt each other. I have to wonder if there wasn't an alternative to shooting the dog. How about shooting up in the air (probably not safe) or taking a stick or some other object to break it up? It just seems to me that a policeman would have other "methods" besides shooting his gun.
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Postby janet909 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:09 pm

Pepper spray??? Most officers that I know carry it. Not that I would want my dog getting sprayed but it's better than getting shot. So sad.
janet909
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby kat » Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:20 pm

Wow, that's amazing. I wasn't there, so can't really judge, but, again, wow. I read in one story that the officer called out to the dog's owner to get him under control, but I didn't read it anywhere else. Whether or not he did makes a difference in my opinion. A huge difference. I know the shepard wasn't hurt, but that shouldn't be the basis for decisions. If I feel like a dog is attacking Copper, and the owner won't stop it, I am not going to wait until Copper is really hurt, but I am going to yell at the dog's owner first. Hmmm, so sad, but I wonder if this is the first time something like this has happened? Or the last? More and more people and dogs at these parks, more and more people carrying weapons. And lots of us who will protect our dogs from any potential threats..... I just don't know.
My mom is a Kat - How cool is that?
kat
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Muddy Creek Britts » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:41 pm

Maryland is a liberal state, so the issue is not enough guns. Only cops and criminals are armed. The guy who shot the dog knew he was the only one packing and had the above-the-law attitude of the police. I had to break up a dog fight once with a gun. But my first instinct was to fire in the air, and lo and behold, it worked. That guy had zero knowledge about dog behavior and no respect for life, as seen by his deadly over reaction. Being retarded does not grant someone carte blanche right to shoot any imagined threat he comes across. I have a feeling he will not be packing a firearm again. There is justly outrage. His name should be released to the public. Live by the retarded sword, die by it. If a regular citizen had done the same thing in Baltimore, he would be in jail on gun charges immediately. That is what leads to the police having the above-the-law attitude. :evil:
Brian
Muddy Creek Britts
"When a dog runs at you, whistle for him." ~~Henry David Thoreau
Muddy Creek Britts
Zinger
Zinger

Postby rtropeano » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:40 pm

What I wonder about is why was the german shepherd on lead in the dog park - that almost always causes issues - off leash means off leash. Also I agree with the others - his only recourse was to to shoot the other dog - there was nothing else he could do?

I seriously doubt this officers judgement in police matters.

Rose

"I didn't do nothing, Mama!"
Daisy Mae, CGC, TDI, CTL1-F
rtropeano
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Muddy Creek Britts » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:23 pm

Yesterday to State filed charges against the shooter. He is a civilian federal officer, probably not much more than a Barney Fife. This story is all over talk radio, and the thoughtful people are completely disgusted by the actions of this person. The best point was that this man should go through very, very thorough psychological evaluation. Don't think he'll be an officer much longer.
Brian
Muddy Creek Britts
"When a dog runs at you, whistle for him." ~~Henry David Thoreau
Muddy Creek Britts
Zinger
Zinger

Return to Other Breeds