OT: Struvite Crystals in Cats

For all questions/discussion on other breeds.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

OT: Struvite Crystals in Cats

Postby rtropeano » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:02 pm

REcently my Bubba cat was diagnosed with a blockage caused by sturvite crystals. Vet put him on Hills C/D, which is crap in my book, first ingreident is pork by products.

I think I'm going to try and get Wysong Struvatrol? Anyone know anything about nutrition for cats with Struvite crystals or have used Struvatrol?

Your thoughts are appreciated.
Rose

"I didn't do nothing, Mama!"
Daisy Mae, CGC, TDI, CTL1-F
rtropeano
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Re: OT: Struvite Crystals in Cats

Postby Barb Wright » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:48 pm

Did the vet do a culture and sensitivity test to check for a UTI ??? Struvites in dogs are almost always associated with a UTI, probably the same in cats. In any event, if it was my cat I would put it on a raw diet, NO veggies (as in NONE). Cats are obligate carnivores and any diet that has anything but raw meat, animal fat, animal offals and bones is considered wrong for them. Not a cat person, but from what I have read in the past raw is the way to go with cats, even more so than dogs who somehow manage to deal with carbs and veggies even though it is not appropriate for them....probably says a lot about the dogs' ability in making do and adjusting for survival's sake. JMO :)

P.S. Any diet change won't help with the struvites that are present, that takes an antibiotic to clear up the UTI. THEN change the diet so that the struvites don't recur.
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13
Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Postby rtropeano » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:46 am

Hi Barb, yes, they did find bacteria in his urine, so he received an antibiotic shot. They did xrays, urine test, catheter, a whole bunch of things at the ER.

I dont think I can do raw, but I want to find something really good for him. He was originally on HIlls S/D which is designed to dissolve the crystal - C/D is to manage it.

I'll have to check around, maybe I cna find something similar to Bravo for cats?

Thanks for your insight.
Rose

"I didn't do nothing, Mama!"
Daisy Mae, CGC, TDI, CTL1-F
rtropeano
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Barb Wright » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:47 am

:D Actually, Bravo does have a raw cat food...ask and ye shall receive :P :P In fact, there are several brands of commercially prepared raw food for cats....here ya go:

http://tinyurl.com/2bey6ko

Personally I'd go grain free. I use Nature's Variety for Cassie and just alternate the meat sources :)
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13
Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Postby Shannon B » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:22 pm

My cat was diagnosed with FLUTD. At the time the vet said she had crystals in her urine. I'm not sure if they were struvite crystals or not. We put her on Royal Canin Urinary SO. Since then we've never had any problems. Actually, since it is pretty expensive, we mix it half and half with regular Royal Canin for indoor cats. If your vet doesn't carry it, you can get it through Petfooddirect.com with a prescription. We have three cats and we didn't want to put everyone on the urinary diet exclusively. I believe Royal Canin is one of the better commercial foods out there.

I hope your kitty feels better soon! I know crystals are much more serious in males than females. Poor guy!
Shannon B
Puppy

Return to Other Breeds