Roi, our Koi, Dead

For all questions/discussion on other breeds.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Roi, our Koi, Dead

Postby Muddy Creek Britts » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:54 pm

Sad day. Our big koi was dead today. Think it was my fault too for not getting the pump up and running again in time. Only a couple days, but obviously too long. Kickin' myself. Was hoping to read that they only live about 10 years, but no....they live 25-35 years, and under ideal circumstances up to 200 years. But they say that one koi per 500 gallons is the correct proportion. Pond is only 120 gallons and has a smaller koi and some feeder comets I set free. Damn :!: Roi was here when we moved in. The other two were big goldfish which the raccoon got to last year.
Brian
Muddy Creek Britts
"When a dog runs at you, whistle for him." ~~Henry David Thoreau
Muddy Creek Britts
Zinger
Zinger

Re: Roi, our Koi, Dead

Postby PaulZale » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:56 pm

So sorry to hear about your loss. Isn't it amazing how we become attached to a variety of different animals. I never knew that Koi lived so long. Can you pick up another to take Roi's place and for that matter how much do they cost. I have no idea whatsoever. Paul
PaulZale
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Postby Barb Wright » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:11 pm

Question...if the Roi the Koi was there when you got the place, how do you know how old he was???? Maybe he was 35 and it was his time.

Some of us do manage to get "attached" to some different creatures from time to time....I can think of several that were in my life at one time or another that I felt I had an affinity for/with...no clue if they felt the same :roll: :wink: I just talked to a fellow neighbor the other day who has Koi....he said that the ones he has now are not "friendly", but he had a couple in the past that would take food right out of his hand :shock: So, maybe you need to go on a koi search Brian :) Roi may have a doppleganger (not the evil incarnation) just waiting to be found. But you might want to possum and raccoon protect the pool first....think Mother Nature might be having a hand in your loss, she can be a little heartless sometimes no question, though that might be just a human perception.
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13
Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Postby Cindy » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:43 am

We used to have tropical fish and I just loved them. One of the reasons we took down the tank was because I couldn't deal with finding them dead or dying. The discus we had were VERY friendly and used to swim right over to the side or top of the tank when you came in the room.

I am sorry about Roi :cry:
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Return to Other Breeds