Some people!

For all questions/discussion on other breeds.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Some people!

Postby headtrip_honey » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:22 am

So, we have neighbors that routinely keep their dog (named "Snoop") chained up outside all day, regardless of weather. He does have a dog house, but still.

Well, today, somehow he got out of their fenced backyard while they were gone. He sat on their stoop for what seemed like hours, just howling to be let in. I couldn't coax him off the stoop.

I was worried about him, because it's in the low 20s and quite windy. Sometime before 10 he disappeared, so I assumed that either the owners came home, or their next door neighbors took the dog in.

Nope. Just as I was drifting off around 11, the barking started again, and Snoop was right where HE started - on the stoop. I go outside, and meet up with another neighbor. We try to figure out what to do. Her mother wouldn't let her bring the dog into the garage, just the basement. So I took Snoop to our house, put him in the garage, put down an old dog bed, a bowl of food (he inhaled it), and a bowl of water. Also gave him a rawhide chew.

Left a note in his owner's mailbox. Hope they're not out of town longterm.

Our dogs are whining because they can hear Snoop pacing in the garage. I feel bad, because the garage is still pretty chilly, but I'm sure it's above freezing in there, and it's out of the wind.

Why do people do things like this?
-Emily
Image Image Image Image
Hunter (RIP 09.16.04-02.28.09), Lizzy, Bree and Jack
headtrip_honey
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Re: Some people!

Postby mart » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:28 am

Grrr...I would call animal controll. By law, they have to provide food water and shelter at all times. If nothing else, the animal controll agent will discuss how often/long the poor dog is outside. Not only that, but most cites have a noise ordinance about barking.
mart
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Postby headtrip_honey » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:54 am

We did call the SPCA this morning and they're picking poor Snoop up.

He settled eventually, and curled up on the bed I gave him and went to sleep. Really the SWEETEST dog. I had no idea what his temperament would be like, because I've only ever seen him chained outside, barking at anyone who would pass (Well, if I had nothing else to do, I'd probably bark too). But whenever I popped out to the garage to check on him, he'd come up to me, rawhide chew in his mouth, tail wagging.

He seemed pretty grateful to be indoors - we let him out a few times to do his business, and he'd come trotting back in, no coaxing needed. He's a little skinny, but nothing extreme - I could easily feel his spine, and see a few of his ribs, but it could just be that he's a skinny dog. He wolfed up any food I gave him, though. Jack (our youngest Britt) is still eating puppy food, so I gave Snoop some of that to make up for all the calories he lost shivering outside.

I'm actually kind of worried about his owners, that something may have happened to them. Their Xmas lights are still on, mail still hasn't been picked up, cars in the driveway. But no answer when you knock/ring the doorbell.

Hrm.
-Emily
Image Image Image Image
headtrip_honey
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby mart » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:38 am

Glad to hear that he is at least doing better...Strange about the neighbors though...maybe alert the police? Gotta figure they would at least make sure the pup was being fed if they went out of town, had someone stoping over or something. But if something else may have happend, and thats why the pup was barking at the door...I know that if I am even 15 minutes late with food for our pups, they make sure we don't forget. If there was a puppy sitter, I would think that they would start asking the neighbors where the pup went.
mart
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Postby Barb Wright » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:43 am

Honey....you might call the police to make a welfare check. It really does sound mysterious enough to do that. Bless you for taking in the orphan...at least he had a couple good days with loving folks.
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13
Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Postby headtrip_honey » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:57 am

When I get home from work tonight, if they're still MIA, we'll probably do that.

My brain is morbid enough to start theorizing about terrible atrocities that could have happened.

Whatever the case, if they don't claim Snoop, I'm confident he'll get adopted. He's pretty young (I'd say about 4 or 5), very sweet and friendly, and very cute. I think he's a Lab mix...maybe with some pitbull in him, maybe some hound. His bark is very hound-like. But he has that stereotypical Lab tail!

He clearly knows some basic commands - he sat the first time I asked him to. Already neutered, which is good.

I have qualms about turning him over to the SPCA, but I just have to tell myself that first, we have no room for a fourth dog, and no idea how he would react to ours (or they to him), and second, it's infinitely better than having him roaming the streets in below-freezing weather.
-Emily
Image Image Image Image
headtrip_honey
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby headtrip_honey » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:55 am

Update: SPCA picked him up. He was a good boy, and let my mother pick him up and put him in the truck. They left notices on the door and garage of his owners, and noted for the file that the owners might be on vacation. I wish my mom had taken a pic of him, he was super cute. Hopefully the SPCA will put a pic of him up on their website soon under the stray section.

He was black, with a white chest, and white front paws, like a boxer, with a faint white spot right on the back of his neck. Very very brown eyes that were quite striking - his eyes made me think of a hound dog's eyes.

And you know, in looking at pictures online, he kind of looks like a lab/boxer mix. He looks an awful lot like this guy here, only with completely white paws and completely black ears:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bytheseeingeye/660284467/
-Emily
Image Image Image Image
headtrip_honey
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby janet909 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:51 pm

Weird story !!! Glad that Snoop is being taken care of. Did you contact the police or just the SPCA ?? I agree that a welfare check might be in order. Surely no one would go on vacation in December (at any time of the year for that matter) and leave a dog chained up outside without food. Makes me think that they may have been in an accident and are hospitalized. (That's the nurse in me talking). Stranger things have happened. Let us know what evolves.
janet909
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby rtropeano » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:15 pm

Yes, that is very strange - I'd start to wonder what happened to the folks - esp. if they left their lights on and no one is picking up mail.

"I didn't do nothing, Mama!"
Daisy Mae, CGC, TDI, CTL1-F
rtropeano
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby headtrip_honey » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:56 pm

To clarify, we called the SPCA, but the person who does pick up is Animal Control. But they're taken to the SPCA. We did not call the police, because this afternoon they finally (!) came home.

We don't know if they've picked Snoop up yet. They saw and removed the notices the animal control officer put up. I mean, Snoop was clearly well taken care of. Clean, healthy (if skinny, but some dogs are just built that way...I'd say he was on the low end of a healthy weight), neutered, friendly, even obeyed when I told him to sit.

We have theorized that they went away for a day or two, and maybe had a pet-sitter come by, and Snoop got out? He may have run off (he used to do this all the time when he was a puppy...he'd get loose and terrorize the neighborhood...this was before they had a fence and just had him tied up in their backyard), and then come back in the evening when he was hungry.

But we'll see. We're going to stop by tomorrow and ask about him. We might offer our services to pet sit if they need it in the future. He's a doll, we wouldn't mind.

My mom expressed to the officer that she was concerned our neighbors would be mad we took their dog and called Animal Control. The officer said, "Why would they be mad? With how cold it was last night, you probably saved his life."
-Emily
Image Image Image Image
headtrip_honey
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby rtropeano » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:04 am

headtrip_honey wrote:"Why would they be mad? With how cold it was last night, you probably saved his life."

Exactly right - you did save his life - it's been so cold...good job!

"I didn't do nothing, Mama!"
Daisy Mae, CGC, TDI, CTL1-F
rtropeano
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby headtrip_honey » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:14 pm

Happy ending for all!

Checked up on Snoop today, and he is happily back at home!

Turns out that his owners are on vacation, and their nephew is house-sitting. He let Snoop out, and Snoop took off. Usually Snoop goes out to do his business and comes back, this time he didn't. Nephew hung around as long as he could to try to find him, but had to go to work. (He works the night shift, which explains why he was gone all night)

We suggested the Invisible Fence. :)

Glad to know it worked out, and we told him that if he ever needs help with Snoop, we'd gladly oblige. He seemed very grateful that we took care of Snoop for him.
-Emily
Image Image Image Image
headtrip_honey
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby Barb Wright » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:36 pm

LOVE happy endings :D :D We all know it could have gone much differently....you are the Hero is this tale that ends in a happy tail :D :D
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13
Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Postby headtrip_honey » Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:17 pm

So, owners came back today. Thanked us for taking care of Snoop. Seemed very interested in the Invisible Fence (especially once we explained how it has indoor components, too).

Interestingly, seems their nephew wasn't totally honest with them, or with us. He told US he worked the night shift and had to go. He told THEM he was asleep when Snoop came back.

Clearly, one of these, or both, is not true. We know for a fact he was not home until about noon the next day. And if he told them that he was sleeping, then he probably wasn't working, either.

Hmmmmmm. I don't blame him for being embarrassed for losing their dog, but c'mon.
-Emily
Image Image Image Image
headtrip_honey
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby kat » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:06 pm

I have a good guess who they are believing if they're telling you this, maybe the nephew won't be pet sitting again. Good for them for coming over to talk to you too, sounds hopeful for the poor dog anyway. Maybe you'll get another chance to talk and you can talk about not chaining the dog up all the time!
My mom is a Kat - How cool is that?
kat
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Next

Return to Other Breeds