Cat Flea/Tick Natural Remedies

For all questions/discussion on other breeds.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Cat Flea/Tick Natural Remedies

Postby rtropeano » Sun May 08, 2011 10:38 pm

I know this is waaaay off topic for this board, but I've been driving myself bonkers trying to figure out a natural remedy that is safe for my cat. I have done some research and found that essential oils are NOT safe for cats (turns out that they cant get liver damage from them)

Is there anything out there that I'm missing. I've heard mention of "hyrdrosols" Anyone know anything about this.

I'm also thinking about possibly using a "SHOOtag" - Any one have any thoughts on that - or use one before....oy!

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Rose

"I didn't do nothing, Mama!"
Daisy Mae, CGC, TDI, CTL1-F
rtropeano
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Re: Cat Flea/Tick Natural Remedies

Postby Barb Wright » Sun May 08, 2011 11:42 pm

So, I thought, what info is out there about this topic?? Started reading, researching, and ended up with the book in my library "All You Ever Wanted to Know About HERBS FOR PETS" by Mary L. Wulff-Tilford & Gregory L. Tilford. Anyone who is interested in non-drug or non-chemical approaches to animal care should have this book in their library.

Long before the advent of drug and chemical approaches to dealing with and attempting to eliminate any and all parasites (pretty much a losing battle because you will never eliminate these gazillion year-old parasites, and only harm the immune health of your pets by utilizing drugs and chemicals in the attempt) there has been in effect the natural approach to enhancing resistance to these "pests" that are as old as the planet. Support of the immune system by a species appropriate diet and avoidance of all chemical interventions wherever and whenever possible will be what ultimately wins the war against these parasites. Dogs, all animals, have resisted these parasites for a millennia, the strong and healthy survive with or in spite of these invaders......in a nutshell, a strong and healthy immune system is what fights and wins almost all of the battles we come up against, even going beyond opportunistic parasites and on to our own cells gone amuck with the likes of most cancers. Our immune system is our main and first line of defense against all, ALL, attackers that would harm us, whether they are those just using us as a host for their own propagation/continuance like bacteria and viruses, or the results of chaos that just brings us down. You can do the most good by starting any defense with an approach that supports the immune system.

And of course, there are herbal approaches and nutritional supplements (food as medicine) that will help the body resist parasites, enhance the immune system to keep the body in balance, give the body the tools it needs to put up any and all defence mechanisms to "survive" an affront from any quarter. For a plan of action for dogs and cats I'd start with "Herbs for Pets" :)

Guess I'll stop.....HTH

Edited to add: You can make your own flea powder by combining one part each of powdered herbs eucalyptus, rosemary, fennel, yellow dock, wormwood and rue. Put the mixture in a shaker jar..apply sparingly to the coat by brushing backward against the fur and sprinkling the powder at the base of the hair, especially on the neck and belly. Best to be outside for this so that the fleas vacate the animal outside. It can be used several times a week if the flea infestation is severe. If the cat will allow bathing there is a natural skin tonic that discourages fleas...thinly slice a lemon including the skin. Add one pint boiling water and let steep til cool, even over night. This can be sponged on the animal daily or used as a rinse after bathing. Lemons are a source of a natural flea killing substance like d-limonene and also contain other healing ingredients making it a very nice rinse to use all the time.

Garlic can be added to the diet...1/4 to 1 whole raw chopped clove (depending upon the size of the animal) added to the diet daily for a few weeks will give the animal an odor that repels fleas, ticks, and other external parasites. After a couple weeks the garlic should be pulsed, that is skipping days between feeding.

While you are researching and seeking other suggestions, the above will get you started :)
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13
Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Postby rtropeano » Tue May 10, 2011 10:45 pm

Barb, this helps a lot thank you. I'm going to take Bubba to a Holistic Vet to help me with his nutrition - he's had a perneal urethostomy (sp?) because he was blocking and it couldn't be resolved. So hopefully that and I'm going to try and make the powder you suggested will help him. He hasn't had fleas yet (to my knowledge) and I want to keep it that way.

Have you heard anything about Brewer's yeast? I've done some reading and some recommend using it - other's don't. Any opinion on it?

Rose

"I didn't do nothing, Mama!"
Daisy Mae, CGC, TDI, CTL1-F
rtropeano
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Barb Wright » Tue May 10, 2011 11:22 pm

rtropeano wrote:Have you heard anything about Brewer's yeast? I've done some reading and some recommend using it - other's don't. Any opinion on it?

Yes...it is not a really good source of yeast or B vitamins. Use nutritional yeast, much better source of all that you are looking for in a yeast product.
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13
Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Return to Other Breeds