My Latest Rescue ~ Petunia Piglet

For all questions/discussion on other breeds.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

My Latest Rescue ~ Petunia Piglet

Postby Muddy Creek Britts » Wed May 25, 2011 11:11 am

Hi everyone. Just had the strangest thing happen to me yesterday and had to share.

On my way to work, I was behind a tractor trailer pulling a large livestock hauler. A piglet somehow tumbled out of the thing and rolled along the road, got up, and ran to the other side. I pulled over, chased this piglet along the road, having to stop to slow down other tractor trailers and cars coming down the hill. Eventually I got her to a rockface which she couldn't climb up. She stopped momentarily, and I grabbed her, hoping I wasn't about to get bit by a scared and injured animal. This little girl was squealing and squirming as I ran back across the road, cars going by thinking God only knows what as I placed her in the trunk of my car.

Proceeding on to work, trying to convince myself that, yes, I did just grab a pig and have it in my trunk, I saw a state trooper pulling into a gunshop. Ran in and told him what happened, what I had in my trunk, he said he didn't know what to do. So I went to work, and once again had to convince everyone there that I was not making some sort of joke, but did indeed have a piglet in the trunk of my car. Got a crate, took her in, got the vet at Banfield to take a look at her....for I didn't know what else I could do with a pig for 8 hours while at work.

She had some scrapes, but no broken bones. Vet gave her treatment on the wounds and gave her pain meds....finally, they decided not to charge me for a vet visit. :roll: Well, I found a person with a small farm with 3 horses, 4 goats, and a few other farm critters who would take her...hopefully she will work magic on them so she doesn't become bacon in the near future, but it was the best I could do on such short notice. The woman seemed nice though, and I'm hoping having to nurse the piglet through her injuries will forge a bond. Plus I told her the piglet's name is Petunia. :wink:

The things I get myself into. Here's her picture at the vet:

Last edited by Muddy Creek Britts on Wed May 25, 2011 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brian
Muddy Creek Britts
"When a dog runs at you, whistle for him." ~~Henry David Thoreau
Muddy Creek Britts
Zinger
Zinger

Re: My Latest Rescue ~ Petunia Piglet

Postby Barb Wright » Wed May 25, 2011 11:31 am

Muddy Creek Britts wrote:..The things I get myself into.

:lol: :lol: Understatement of the week :P Well, you saved her life for the time being anyway. Not too many pigs or piglets that don't end up on a platter :cry: Giving her a name was a good idea, sort of "personalizes" her, maybe :wink: I remember once chatting with a farmer that raised rabbits....he said "best to not name them, but if you do and if they end up in the freezer anyway, leave them there long enough that you forget who they were". The reality of "farmer filosophy".

So, once again you're a Hero...WTG :D
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13
Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Postby Muddy Creek Britts » Wed May 25, 2011 11:43 am

Since she has other animals, which I guess don't end up on the platter, Petunia has a good shot, I think. Anyway, she was probably heading to an overcrowded pen to be fattened up for a quick slaughter. If she had gotten to the woods before I grabbed her, she would've ended up hurt, alone, and probably dead in no time. The Humane League, whom I called, said they would foster her out, but I don't think they understood this wasn't a potbelly pig, but one that would weigh over 600 lbs in no time. As a matter of fact, I think they thought they were probably dealing with a lunatic. :P Not entirely wrong. :lol: Now Petunia has a pasture to roam, other critters as company, and I was assured that this woman is an animal lover...so if Petunia plays her cards right, she could've just gotten a great reprieve. The tractor trailer never stopped, and Petunia was making a break for the woods, so I had to react without thinking. Plus I sure did spice up everyone's day at work.

I got bitten by a Dobie last week, and he punctured my thumbnail. I had a recheck appt at 3pm, got to work with a piglet at 2pm, so had to cancel that appt due to a pig emergency. Don't think the nurse believed that story either. Heck, I was in disbelief and I'm the one that did it. :lol:
Brian
Muddy Creek Britts
Muddy Creek Britts
Zinger
Zinger

Postby MaggieRocks » Wed May 25, 2011 2:41 pm

Too bad there's no video of you chasing a piglet down the road!!! :lol:
MaggieRocks
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Cindy » Wed May 25, 2011 7:15 pm

You have the best stories - I am always entertained! Thanks for another rescue.
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Postby Muddy Creek Britts » Wed May 25, 2011 8:25 pm

MaggieRocks wrote:Too bad there's no video of you chasing a piglet down the road!!! :lol:

Unfortunately, I've been appointed God's personal jester. The videos will be available upon entrance to Heaven....they are part of the orientation process, a few laughs to break the ice. :P :twisted:
Brian
Muddy Creek Britts
Muddy Creek Britts
Zinger
Zinger

Postby Barb Wright » Wed May 25, 2011 9:00 pm

Somehow I think this may be true.....just not sure "jester" is the appropriate description :P :P
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13
Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Postby Sooz » Wed May 25, 2011 10:15 pm

Way to go, Brian! Petunia thanks you.
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." – Unknown
Sooz
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Postby DLDoiron » Wed May 25, 2011 10:47 pm

I love hearing your rescue adventures.
Doc, Dazy Dew, & CJ

Diana
DLDoiron
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby rtropeano » Fri May 27, 2011 12:12 am

What an amazing story Brian....I would have liked to see you chasing the piglet down the road too. Regardless of what happens in the future, one this is for sure, Petunia has a better life now than she would have - a private small farm is much better than a crowded pen.

Petunia was lucky you found her......

Rose

"I didn't do nothing, Mama!"
Daisy Mae, CGC, TDI, CTL1-F
rtropeano
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby adele » Mon May 30, 2011 7:10 am

Good thing they hadn't gotten around to greasing Petunia before the rodeo!

My friends had a pet pig (real not pot bellied). Her name was Audrie and she was as good a pet as any lab. (not quite as good as a Britt :lol: :lol: ),. Audrie like to go for walks and play "keep away". She was pretty cool.
adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Return to Other Breeds