Kitty Dandruff Help? (and other fun stuff)

For all questions/discussion on other breeds.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Re: Kitty Dandruff Help? (and other fun stuff)

Postby headtrip_honey » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:03 pm

rtropeano wrote:Hmm, has she had an xray = wondering if there is a chance she has a partial blockage of some sort?
Hope she gets feeling better soon There's a great site called http://www.catinfo.org - it has some great stuff on a feeding
and all things cat...

Rose

I doubt it's a blockage. She hasn't had an xray, but she's been going regularly (if...liquidy...), and when she was in the vet's a few weeks ago for her yearly, they felt around in her abdomen and there was no tenderness or strange...anything.

Also, she has never been one to eat non-food items. So it wouldn't be that. She handles hairballs fairly well. Only occasionally horks one up, and I try to give her a preventative.

Of all the "symptoms" of an obstruction, she only has the diarrhea symptom - which is listed as a rare symptom. All the others, nope. She doesn't display any signs of pain (I've had a constipated cat before, so I know what *those* signs are), she has plenty of energy, appetite, she goes regularly, no weight loss or vomiting (unless hairball related).

Thanks, though.

This is so frustrating, and it all started with those stupid antibiotics. Necessary, but UGH.
-Emily
Image Image Image Image
Hunter (RIP 09.16.04-02.28.09), Lizzy, Bree and Jack
headtrip_honey
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby Barb Wright » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:33 pm

headtrip_honey wrote:.. She handles hairballs fairly well. Only occasionally horks one up, and I try to give her a preventative.

I would guess from this that you are giving some kind of greasy supplement that helps hair make it's way through the toxic waste chute? Not a cat person, but I think I can positively say that "horking up" hairballs, or whatever, is a TOTALLY NORMAL FUNCTION. and should not be "prevented". JMO Cats that hunt for their food will vomit feathers, hair, toenails, beaks, actually anything that the digestive system says "hey, nothing of value there, out with it".

Cats groom, they ingest hair, hair is indigestible and SHOULD BE "horked" up if there is an excess. Along with anything else that is indigestible. Vomiting, and even diarrhea, are an appropriate function....it is the body expelling objects that should not be going through the digestion process. Dogs, and cats, sometimes ingest "indigestibles" for specific purposes....grass is a good example, ingested to help expell parasites....so for cats expelling hairballs, TOTALLY NORMAL. Only when the vomiting becomes chronic, such as daily or even more frequently, is vomiting a sign of more serious problems.

BTW Did you know that dog food (kibble), not so many years ago, used to contain a large percentage of animal hair that was included in the protein percentage of the food? Well, guess what, hair is not digestible, so dogs, and cats, got zero, nada, nil, nothing out of that so-called protein inclusion. Just thought I'd let you in on that fraud that the dog food companies perpetrated before we all got smarter!!

Ah, I digress....hope kitty gets back on track....the antibiotics are probably the reason for the "ear wax". Antibiotics really mess with the immune system....a sheep in wolves clothing.
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13
Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Postby headtrip_honey » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:27 am

Barb Wright wrote:
headtrip_honey wrote:.. She handles hairballs fairly well. Only occasionally horks one up, and I try to give her a preventative.

I would guess from this that you are giving some kind of greasy supplement that helps hair make it's way through the toxic waste chute? Not a cat person, but I think I can positively say that "horking up" hairballs, or whatever, is a TOTALLY NORMAL FUNCTION. and should not be "prevented". JMO Cats that hunt for their food will vomit feathers, hair, toenails, beaks, actually anything that the digestive system says "hey, nothing of value there, out with it".

Cats groom, they ingest hair, hair is indigestible and SHOULD BE "horked" up if there is an excess. Along with anything else that is indigestible. Vomiting, and even diarrhea, are an appropriate function....it is the body expelling objects that should not be going through the digestion process. Dogs, and cats, sometimes ingest "indigestibles" for specific purposes....grass is a good example, ingested to help expell parasites....so for cats expelling hairballs, TOTALLY NORMAL. Only when the vomiting becomes chronic, such as daily or even more frequently, is vomiting a sign of more serious problems.

BTW Did you know that dog food (kibble), not so many years ago, used to contain a large percentage of animal hair that was included in the protein percentage of the food? Well, guess what, hair is not digestible, so dogs, and cats, got zero, nada, nil, nothing out of that so-called protein inclusion. Just thought I'd let you in on that fraud that the dog food companies perpetrated before we all got smarter!!

Ah, I digress....hope kitty gets back on track....the antibiotics are probably the reason for the "ear wax". Antibiotics really mess with the immune system....a sheep in wolves clothing.

I don't give it regularly - I can't seem to remember to, honestly.

Anyway, from my personal research (as a cat person), I'd always learned that throwing up hairballs is in fact NOT natural - most hair should exit through the other end. But through selective breeding, domesticated cats have thicker, longer fur than their wild counterparts, as well as digestive tracts that are more sensitive. So they can't handle what their wild counterparts can.

Most cats are able to vomit up anything they can't "pass," but sometimes hairballs can cause an intestinal blockage. We always gave Petromalt or a similar product to our long-haired cats, but never really bothered with the shorter-haired ones, and it seemed to work well. Ziva has medium length hair, but loads of it, and it's really soft and downy, so her hairballs are HUGE.

Anyway, I'm trying to keep her groomed with the furminator, to help with dandruff, so that cuts down on the amount of hair she ingests as it is.
-Emily
Image Image Image Image
headtrip_honey
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby headtrip_honey » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:01 am

So, I switched Ziva to a grain-free food.

Well, what I really did was fast her for 24 hours (which she LOVED, let me tell you...), then give her a little grain free wet food, which was essentially shredded chicken in a little gravy solution. Honestly, it looked and smelled like chicken soup (heavy on the chicken).

She was ambivalent about it, but hungry. So she ate it. I gave her a little more at her next feeding, but she really doesn't dig wet food only. I know, I know, I have the one weird cat in the world that would rather eat cheap dry kibble than high end wet food! (Or even fresh cooked poultry...)

I bought both wet and dry food for her, so I mixed in some kibble (also grain free, Nature's Variety Instinct, chicken formula), which she seemed to enjoy.

She still doesn't like either, but I can get her to eat most of her food by giving her just under a third of a cup of kibble, then mixing in a spoonful or two of wet, so it's well dispersed, no huge clumps of chicken, then sprinkling her probiotic on top.

Anyway, since I introduced this new food, her poops have been PERFECT. Voila!

So, I don't know if it's because she's getting a higher quality food, or because she was reacting to the grain in her old food. Or both. She's still on the probiotic, so I'll be interested to see if it sticks once she goes off it.
-Emily
Image Image Image Image
headtrip_honey
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby rtropeano » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:13 pm

This is GREAT news.... alot of cats don't tolerate grains well - so hopefully this is the solution.
Glad to hear that Kitty is feeling better.
Rose

"I didn't do nothing, Mama!"
Daisy Mae, CGC, TDI, CTL1-F
rtropeano
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby headtrip_honey » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:57 pm

rtropeano wrote:This is GREAT news.... alot of cats don't tolerate grains well - so hopefully this is the solution.
Glad to hear that Kitty is feeling better.
Rose

Thanks! She's still doing excellently. I'm weaning her off the probiotics. Down to 1/2 packet a day for a few more days. She's been on a half dose for a few days and is still doing well.

I'm hoping that everything stays that way once she's done. Granted, she won't be as happy, because she LOVES the taste of the Fortiflora, but ah well.

Even if the grain thing wasn't the ultimate answer, and it was just a coincidence, I feel better knowing she's getting a higher quality food.
-Emily
Image Image Image Image
headtrip_honey
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby rtropeano » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:56 pm

I heard that they love Fortiflora - guess it's true ;0

rtropeano
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby headtrip_honey » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:08 am

rtropeano wrote:I heard that they love Fortiflora - guess it's true ;0

Oh yes. I've caught Ziva digging empty packets out of the garbage can, and found her mindlessly licking at them.

Anyway, she is on day 3 of no probiotic and ::fingers crossed:: so far everything seems fine!
-Emily
Image Image Image Image
headtrip_honey
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby rtropeano » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:19 pm

That's good news - I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Rose

rtropeano
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Previous

Return to Other Breeds