The Lost Dogs

For all questions/discussion on other breeds.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

The Lost Dogs

Postby MaggieRocks » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:26 pm

Anyone read this book? I read it quite a while back. A VERY difficult read. Many times, I had to put the book down and step away. I went to Woofstock this weekend (an annual local event in my area). There were a few pit bull rescues there, Oogie was there, and lots of info available on raising awareness on dog fighting.

No offense to anyone here who likes the Eagles, but I just cannot tolerate anyone supporting them because of Vick. (Actually, maybe I AM offended by it.) I was ranting about it today at work (where I think they probably refer to me as "that crazy dog lady"!) just because someone mentioned buying some Eagles stuff for her son for Christmas. And then, I read the email requesting brit & football photos for the fundraiser, and the Eagles were mentioned. It just about took my breath away. Really?!!! The Eagles?!!!

So tell me....did I fall totally off the deep end, or does anyone else feel the same way? I honestly think that anyone who likes the Eagles should be required to read that book, and then maybe follow that up with the research done by Stanley Coren showing dogs have the mental capabilities of a 2 1/2 year old child. And then after that, tell me if Vick really deserves a second chance.

Ok-stepping off my soap box now......
MaggieRocks
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Re: The Lost Dogs

Postby kat » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:10 pm

Haven't read it and have no plans to do so, I wouldn't be able to. Vick, despite his upbringing, is a piece of you know what. I'm like you, I don't understand his continued popularity. BUT, I did just read "Wallace" by the same author, one of the best books I've read in a long, long time. Also about a Pit Bull, but although there are a few spots you may tear up at, nowhere near as bad as the Lost Dogs, and this one has a good ending. "Wallace, the underdog who conquered a sport, saved a marriage, and championed Pit Bulls--one flying disc at a time". And after living with Wallace so successfully for years, his owners were allowed to adopt one of Vick's throw aways. Really, a great story, I highly recommend it.
My mom is a Kat - How cool is that?
kat
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby MaggieRocks » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:50 am

I haven't heard of that book. I will definitely pick up a copy-thanks for the recommendation.
MaggieRocks
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby janet909 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:06 pm

I haven't read The Lost Dogs and like Kat, probably wouldn't be able to get through it. But I want to say that you are not off your rocker by being highly offended by Michael Vick's actions. IMPO, I think that anyone that can do what he did to dogs and/or any living thing for that matter, has a fundamental personality flaw, whether from nature or nurture (we could argue for days.....years), that is probably not completely rehabilitated from one year in prison. That level of hatred and cruelty is harbored very, very deep with, I believe, a real lack of an ability to feel emphathy. I've done a bit of research on psychopathic behavior and contrary to popular opinion, most hard core criminals are not psychopaths but rather have anti-personality behavior with other clasifications. There are many psychopaths that are very highly functioning in society (many of the ponzi scheme artists would classify, which is just one example). The bottom line is that, having never met the man, I can't say he's rehabilitated or not, sorry or not or reflective or not. I can say that there are some people, and he COULD be one of them, who quickly realized that to further himself and his career, the only path to take was to present himself as apologetic. Whether that's truly the case, we will never know. Unfortunately, it was the dogs who suffered.

I guess that was my soapbox. :oops:
janet909
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Cindy » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:09 pm

We despise the Eagles - we're Patriots fans (and Giants)!!! Seriously, despite some of the positive moves Michael Vick has taken to turn his life around, and despite his upbringing, etc. etc. etc. - there's just no excuse in my book! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Postby janet909 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:13 pm

Cindy,
I hope that you didn't think I was making excuses for him. Nothing could be further from the truth. I was questioning whether or not he is truly turned around as he claims. I have my doubts......................................
janet909
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby MaggieRocks » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:48 pm

This will probably sound really strange (and maybe even shows that I am not "normal"). But, I put Vick in the same category as Charles Manson. I just think he is THAT EVIL. After reading the details on what he did to several of the dogs, I am pursuaded that he could not possibly be rehabilitated.

"That level of hatred and cruelty is harbored very, very deep with, I believe, a real lack of an ability to feel emphathy.'

Janet, just that one sentence says everything so much better than I could say. I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. One of my co-workers said "but he doesn't represent the whole team". And this is true. But in good conscience, I still would not be able to support any team for which he was playing. And I guess that's what upset me so much when I read that email about the fundraiser.
MaggieRocks
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby DLDoiron » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:03 am

The volunteer who requested the team items had no idea that Michael Vick was with the Eagles. She based it on demograpics of tickets sold last year. She felt bad when I told her.
Doc, Dazy Dew, & CJ

Diana
DLDoiron
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Cindy » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:06 am

I hope that you didn't think I was making excuses for him. Nothing could be further from the truth. I was questioning whether or not he is truly turned around as he claims. I have my doubts......................................

No, I didn't think you were making excuses for him. He's just plain BAD!! And it's pretty hard to see it any other way, IMO.
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Postby MaggieRocks » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:54 am

Diana-I didn't mean for anyone to feel bad about requesting Eagles photos; especially if she had no idea Vick was with the team. I guess now I'm just in my "raise awareness of dog fighting" mode. :(
MaggieRocks
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby DLDoiron » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:11 am

No problem. I just wanted everyone to know that she wasn't aware.
Doc, Dazy Dew, & CJ

Diana
DLDoiron
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby AuntieMom » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:56 pm

My grandson is three and liked the Eagles because of their green jerseys. I told him they have a very bad man on the team who was mean to dogs. And now my grandson no longer likes them. I do not care how many games they win, they are horrible. :evil:
Trapper, CharLee & Kallie
AuntieMom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby rtropeano » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:31 pm

I cannot stand him. The fact that this horrible man makes tons of money makes me ill.

"I didn't do nothing, Mama!"
Daisy Mae, CGC, TDI, CTL1-F
rtropeano
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby hoppsmom » Mon May 06, 2013 8:44 pm

Ugh Vick and people like him make me sick. Have any of you watched that pitbull documentary on netflix? I watched it, and it made me even more angry. Not just about dog fighting, which is rediculously disturbing, but also the whole BSL, especially in Denver and Miami. It tears me up that they actually take away your dog and kill it just because it is a pitbull. And they do that even for service dogs that are pitbulls. Just sick.

Honestly, I've met so many pitbulls in my life... never saw one that was aggressive. Not that they can't be, because any dog can be. The fact that the media feeds people these kind of lies that it has gotten that bad (with the BSL) is rediculous and sickening. It does worry me that my dog will be next...
hoppsmom
Puppy Kindergarten Grad
Puppy Kindergarten Grad

Return to Other Breeds