First Report from Training

For all Brittany hunting/field trial discussion.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

First Report from Training

Postby Karen_P » Sun Apr 03, 2005 5:52 pm

I just spoke to Courage's trainer. I was good...gave the poor guy 2 weeks to work with him before calling. Trust me, it took every bit of self control to wait 2 weeks.

He said Courage is doing great! He told me I better be prepared to field trial on horseback, because it's the only way we'll be able to keep up with him. He can't make promises, but he thinks Courage is a national champion caliber dog. He's very hard headed (much like you'd expect from a pointer), doesn't want to mind, tests you constantly, but knows what he's there to do and is built for speed.

I told him I'd check in with him again in 2 more weeks. It's gonna kill me! I miss my boy!
Home of DC Britt Haven's Blaze of Glory
http://www.woodlandbrittanys.com
Karen_P
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Dave » Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:49 pm

Two weeks :o I bet it is hard without them for that length of time . :( I'm glad to hear he's doing well . I could sell you a 4 wheeler to chase behind him with :lol: 8) Dave
Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Karen_P » Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:49 pm

Dave, if there was anywhere in this darned state you could actually ride an ATV, I just might have taken you up on that.

I really miss Courage. He's my clown. Blaze is an incredibly serious puppy, and Zach is a love bug, but Courage is the one that keeps me laughing (and moving) all the time.

When I talked to the trainer last night, I got the feeling I was being prepared for the "its gonna take longer than 3 months" talk. He said that he really likes Courage, that he was hard headed and had a lot of bad habits to break, and that would all take time, and that he's very smart, which means it could take even longer, and he warned that it would be a while before he was ready for us to come and start working with him (apparently they backslide each time you visit in the beginning).

I couldn't do this if I didn't have other dogs in the house and I'm already dreading sending Blaze away for training in September, but at least my clown will be back by then.
Karen_P
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Jacksbuddy » Mon Apr 04, 2005 4:09 pm

Wow, good luck. I can't see how you can do it.
Jacks full of bad habits, but then so am I, so I guess we will just have to deal with each other.

"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog."
- Edward Hoagland
Jacksbuddy
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby DualCH Brits » Thu Apr 07, 2005 6:46 pm

Ok....now I have to ask....which trainer did you send him to? And Yes....if you are serious about exploring the FTs and letting Courage develop to his fullest potential for you, it will be longer then 3 months <gg> B...U...T... we can talk about sending him West to me if you want :twisted: lolololol We'll run him for you and work on all those bad habits too j/k

Did the trainer mention if he was Gun Dog range or All Age ?? Should I scare you now with the grand total of $ invested into Dutch to date??? He is just 1 pt shy of that Dual Champion title and it was worth every penny I spent along the way.

I'll gladly let you borrow one of my horses if you want....
Helen
Wild Mtn Brittanys
Western Pennsylvania
www.wildmtnbrittanys.com
DualCH Brits
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby Karen_P » Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:04 pm

Hi Helen,

I sent Courage to Pete DeAngelis in Slatington, PA. He's a retired FT handler (he handled setters mostly), and Doug Tighe of Hope's Kennel recommended him. I know Lisa Podraza uses him, and I beleive Ralph and Judy Kiracofe also use him for their Britts. He encourages and expects the owners to be very involved when the time comes and will train me to handle Courage myself, which I really liked. His kennel was also impeccably kept, which put my mind at ease when I dropped Courage off.

Pete was really funny. I called him after 2 weeks to see how things were going and he said "Do you have any idea what you have here?". He said national all-age champion potential...can't make promises, it's still too early, but boy can he run. Pete said that Courage has that special spark he looks for in all the dogs he trains, and he just wishes I got the trial bug a bit sooner.

Courage is neutered so no DC for him, but I thought he could be my guinea pig. I've never done anything like this before and I wanted to be a bit more prepared when Blaze's time comes.

The more I run Blaze, the more I think gun dog stakes for him. He moves beautifully and has such wonderful confidence in the field (it's like watching joy in action), but I don't think his range will extend enough to run all-age stakes.

And PLEASE!!! Don't tell me how much money you've spent on Dutch. I'd rather stay ignorant and just keep writing out the checks without adding it all up.

Blaze is scheduled to start his field training in September so I'm just hoping Courage is done by then. I'm not sure I can afford 2 of them in training at the same time. Blaze is also going to take a break in the show ring for most of the summer. I figure I'll enter him in some local shows to hone my handling skills, but he won't hit the show circuit again full force until he's done with his field training. He's still a gauky puppy and he's not winning, but I have a feeling once he matures and builds muscle while training, he'll have "big time special" written all over him.

What's funny is that this time last year I was house hunting for houses on 1 acres....now I'm house hunting for houses on at least 3 acres so I can have a horse! That confirms it...I've truly lost my mind!
Karen_P
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby DualCH Brits » Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:19 pm

I'm so Happy for you!!! I have heard nothing but great things about Pete. You ever need to run that dog of yours and can't afford two of them in training, talk to me.....we can work something out. I promise :twisted: Seriously though... a Nationals caliber AA dog is very special....just put this bug in Pete's ear.....concentrate on getting him broke and honest enough to run in the US Open next Spring. He has a year to get you two trained & prepped as a team and I PROMISE YOU....IF YOU can get that far, I'll fly into Oklahoma just to MEET YOU and scout your dog for you!! I know where we can wrangle up a couple horses without having to haul them in 8)

And No...you have NOT lost your mind....you were bitten and infected with the "BUG"....next you'll be looking for trucks, live-in horse trailers and 10 acres for more dogs.....
Helen
Wild Mtn Brittanys
Western Pennsylvania
www.wildmtnbrittanys.com
DualCH Brits
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby Karen_P » Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:33 pm

What's so funny is months ago you described an all-age puppy, and as I read your description....it was Courage. We HATED him as a pup. He was my first Brittany and I couldn't understand how the breed had survived so long. He was miserable to be around, out of control, hard headed, impossible, and it didn't matter how much exercise he got, he needed more. He found every escape route possible from the yard and played keep away throughout the neighborhood. He even bolted into someone else's house as they were bringing their groceries in once! I was mortified!

When I called his breeder looking for a pup, I got the impression he was the only pup in the litter that wasn't sold yet...the left over, and I never even bothered to register him with the AKC. I lost his puppy papers! I never even looked at his pedigree until a couple months ago....to find out he's a grandson of Renegade's Kansas Kid.

Well, Pete said I need to get him registered with the AKC and American Field ASAP, so I mailed $15 to his breeder this morning to get replacement puppy papers, and it's gonna cost me $80 to register him with AKC now.
Karen_P
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby DualCH Brits » Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:53 pm

AAAAAhhhhh....life with a field bred, all age potential puppy.....wasn't it just the most frusterating 3 years you ever spent? LOLOLOLOLOLOL....

That is how Omen was. She is gonna be 5 in Oct and I still haven't bothered to break her. She is still a runaaway pill ( was gone a few weeks ago for 2 1/2 days AGAIN), self hunts and tunes out and the more she runs, the better shape she is in the the more she needs to run and hunt and it is just a viscious cycle!! Jade is turning out the same way....but with gun dog range so far. So far, since arriving here from Texas, without Daddy she has escaped 3 x from the kennel and 2 x from the new house. It takes at least 45 minutes to round her up and that "catch time"
is increasing as her stamina is increasing too......
aaaah...the blissful life with field trial bred Brits!!!
Helen
Wild Mtn Brittanys
Western Pennsylvania
www.wildmtnbrittanys.com
DualCH Brits
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby Dave » Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:05 pm

Sounds like Karen has a grand slam team going :D I still am impressed that the rescue dog is a finished gun dog . Could I borrow Zach while you are showing Blaze :lol: ? 8) Dave
Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Karen_P » Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:11 pm

Zach would be in his glory Dave! Remember, he hunts for men.
Karen_P
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Return to Hunting/Field Trials