Neutering disqualifies in Show ?

For all Brittany hunting/field trial discussion.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Neutering disqualifies in Show ?

Postby Dave » Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:19 pm

Does neutering a male AKC registered dog disqualify him from gaining points in a show ?I think I saw that in a post from Karen . Darn it anyway :? . I've had some beautiful males that were neutered and didn't realize that disqualifies them . 8) Dave
Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Karen_P » Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:46 pm

Yes Dave, neutered/spayed dogs cannot participate in conformation shows. I've seen veteran classes (sometimes 7+ yrs, sometimes 9+ yrs) that say altered dogs can enter, but you'd have to check the rules on AKC's website for the rules on that one.

Since shows are a tool to evaluate breeding stock, dogs that are unable to procreate are disqualified. Hope this helps!
Home of DC Britt Haven's Blaze of Glory
http://www.woodlandbrittanys.com
Karen_P
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Dave » Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:54 pm

Oh well I can field trial one of my boys :) It would mean more to me than show title anyway . 8) Dave
Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Barb Wright » Fri Apr 08, 2005 3:05 pm

Karen_P wrote:.....Since shows are a tool to evaluate breeding stock, dogs that are unable to procreate are disqualified.

Which is one reason why I have always thought the Sire and Dam should get the blue ribbon...they are the ones that PRODUCED the "perfect" specimen. Being gorgeous does not guarantee you will produce gorgeous. :P
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13
Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Postby Dave » Fri Apr 08, 2005 5:12 pm

I was reading on the internet you can get prosthetic testes so that the male neutered dogs looks proportioned :lol: :lol: :roll: That's about as goofy as cloning "Rover" 8) Dave
Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Jen » Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:55 pm

Dave,

I actually worked at a vet clinic that "installed" a pair of neuticles(that's what they were called at the time)

Most absurd proceedure I had ever helped with.

Jen
Coda - our forever foster dog
Jen
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby DualCH Brits » Tue Apr 12, 2005 4:00 pm

Actually, if the truth were to be known, MANY spayed bitches manage to complete their Show Championships. This IS CHEATING but hey....there are those enethical folks out there that will do it. So I imagine that impantation of neuticles isn't any different. :cry:

The show ring world is a highly political, cut throat place when you play at that level....JMO.
Helen
Wild Mtn Brittanys
Western Pennsylvania
www.wildmtnbrittanys.com
DualCH Brits
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Return to Hunting/Field Trials