Do I have 3 heads?

For all Brittany hunting/field trial discussion.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Do I have 3 heads?

Postby Karen_P » Sat May 21, 2005 9:47 am

Funny, funny people. I had an installer from a satellite company here this morning putting in a new receiver, and Zach, as usual, was glued to him. The guy was from Kentucky and commented that my dawgs looked like bird dawgs.

I told him they were, and he asked if anyone hunted them. I told him I intended to, and he looked at me like I had lost my mind. :D

I went on to explain how Zach was a trained hunting dog, and how our pup was off at field training now...and still, I MUST have 3 heads! :D
Home of DC Britt Haven's Blaze of Glory
http://www.woodlandbrittanys.com
Karen_P
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Dave » Sat May 21, 2005 11:38 am

A woman with bird DAWGS :lol: :lol: That is riot :P Not only that a woman training a DAWG for field trials :roll: Sorry that slipped out . You must be a redneck if..... :lol: Sorry I was laughing to hard to type . I imagine Helen will jump right in when she reads this . 8) Dave
Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Kathy » Sat May 21, 2005 6:11 pm

Karen, you have to tell Zach to hunt men who enjoy 3 headed women! :lol: Nothing to it!

:lol: Kathy
Herman "Happy Soul" ABR Sept 2002
Hunter "Mr. Wiggles" ABR Apr 2005
Kathy
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Jeanne » Sat May 21, 2005 8:21 pm

Either I am lucky or oblivious because I have never noticed any funny looks when I talk about taking my dogs to field trials or hunt tests.

But, I am so aware of what a newbie I am I tend to concentrate on that aspect, not on the fact I am a woman handling and trying to train bird dogs. Also, I have had some very helpful conversations about training and learning about field trails from the more than one woman I know that handle their own dogs.

In fact, my gun dog instructor once commented that he liked training the ladies better than men because they listen :lol:
Jeanne
Jeanne
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Postby Karen_P » Sat May 21, 2005 9:19 pm

I was pleasantly surprised that when I went to the Rick Smith seminar, there were 5 other women there...not bad for a group of 25 people, and the trainer I use has several clients who are women or couples where the women are very involved. It doesn't phase him in the least.

The satellite installer was just a good ole' boy who has probably never heard of a woman hunting before. It was just funny to watch his reaction.

It sounds like Blaze is living up to expectations so far, so hopefully we'll be competing in the fall and hunting next season.

I'm tempted to send Zach off with the trainer for a month when Blaze is finished for a brush up.
Home of DC Britt Haven's Blaze of Glory
http://www.woodlandbrittanys.com
Karen_P
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Jacksbuddy » Thu May 26, 2005 11:19 pm

You should have walked out on your porch carryin your double barrel and spit a wad on the flowers.

"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog."
- Edward Hoagland
Jacksbuddy
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Return to Hunting/Field Trials