Show dogs CAN hunt!

For all Brittany hunting/field trial discussion.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Show dogs CAN hunt!

Postby Karen_P » Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:53 am

Tessa, who is 5 months old now, got a proper introduction to birds yesterday. It took all of 2 birds to get her pointing and using her nose to look for more. You could just see the wheels turning in her little head..."Hey! What was that? Wait, there's another. That was fun! I want more!" She was quite intense and the trainer really seemed to like her. 3 hours in the truck for 5 minutes on the ground, but she left excited and wanting LOTS more.

See...show dogs CAN hunt!

And when I say show dog, I mean show dog...Every dog in a 5 generation ped except 1 is a show champion, 6 are best in show winners, and there's a single dual in there (twice) 5 generations ago. Not exactly the stuff that FC's are made of (usually).
Home of DC Britt Haven's Blaze of Glory
http://www.woodlandbrittanys.com
Karen_P
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Dave » Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:10 am

Way to go Tess :D . If I remember right Brittanys have more dual champions in their ranks than any other Sporting breed . 8) Dave
Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby CJ » Mon Aug 22, 2005 11:40 am

Yup, Britt show dogs can (had to qualify that statement). One of the VERY fiew breeds where show dogs do well in the field. One of our local club members was the top Britt Jr. showmanship winner last year and her dog was/is one of the top 5 Britt show dogs in the country, and boy that dog is a hunter.
Anywho, way to go Tess! Sounds like she's found her calling!
CJ
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Postby Karen_P » Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:14 pm

What's interesting is I got in a discussion on another board about pedigrees and Blaze and Tess being taken seriously in the field trial world. I was told that, even if one or both finish their AFC and FC titles and go on to win a national championship, they'd be viewed as "flukes" because of their pedigrees.

How hypocritical is that!
Karen_P
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Kathy » Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:43 pm

Ahh, it's the green monster called jealousy. There are some folks that will geninuely appreciate another's success & others that will spit on it. It's like this throughout the medical & scientific research world. Even Nobel laureates are disparaged :!:

Hey, don't let it get to ya. Go have fun & enjoy the ride!

-Kathy
Herman "Happy Soul" ABR Sept 2002
Hunter "Mr. Wiggles" ABR Apr 2005
Kathy
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Jacksbuddy » Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:50 pm

They can call them what they want it doesn't matter. It is people like you that are going to keep this breed great. Jack would NEVER make it in a show ring, he is too tall, too heavy and his tail is too long for starters, but that dog sure can hunt. I had him in the field hunting at ten months with succes, much to my surprise and delight.

"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog."
- Edward Hoagland
Jacksbuddy
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby CJ » Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:24 pm

Karen_P wrote:What's interesting is I got in a discussion on another board about pedigrees and Blaze and Tess being taken seriously in the field trial world. I was told that, even if one or both finish their AFC and FC titles and go on to win a national championship, they'd be viewed as "flukes" because of their pedigrees.

Karen, once you REALLY start trialing (post puppy/derby) and you see the politics and bizare standards that play out (but aren't spoken about) you'll see why they would be flukes. I've been crying (mainly to myself) about the way things pan out, but.... I'll drop you a PM with what I'm talking about since I've learned that most FT folks really don't like to hear about how things used to be and should be now as opposed to what we've turned FT into (resulting in you being a fluke IF they let you win).
CJ
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Postby Kathy » Mon Aug 22, 2005 6:43 pm

Hmmm, CJ, is the deck really that stacked in favor of politics? Or is there some merit involved in the judging?

Just curious ...!

-Kathy
Kathy
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Karen_P » Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:15 pm

Well, we're skipping puppy and derby and going right to amatuer gundog or all-age (depending on the course I'm told), but I have a pretty good idea of the politics already.

Blaze's trainer works dogs from 8:00 a.m. - whenever, and then everyone goes into the clubhouse for coffee and stories on the weekends. This is where we learn about the politics, the dirty little tricks that seasoned trialers pull on newbies, etc. This particular trainer has a reputation for preparing owner handlers better than anyone else in the business, and this is part of it.

I know Blaze's trainer HATES the way Brittany FT's are set up. He feels too many dogs are earning AFC and FC titles when they haven't beat anyone. He honestly feels that a dog should need to win an hour long, champion stake before earning the FC title.

And yes Kathy, sometimes dogs win on the merrits, sometimes not. Some judges put up dogs from their own breeding program consistently, yet are still invited back to judge. Some are seasoned enough to pick out who trained a particular dog, and if they don't like the trainer, they refuse to put the dog up. Some put up their friends. It can be highly political....same as the show ring, but I absolutely love watching the dogs run and work.

The whole "fluke" mentality does scare me a bit though and makes me question the wisdom of making the huge investment in field trialing Tessa and Blaze. It's a dual breed and each dog should live up to those standards, but if I ever have a litter, who will buy the pups?
Karen_P
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Dave » Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:30 pm

Can you see my hand waving from Montana :?: :!: I will :P Dave
Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Kathy » Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:51 pm

Yeah, Dave, you're waving all 10 fingers! 1 for each pup! :lol:

-Kathy
Kathy
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Dave » Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:36 pm

One would probably do :o I am not sure I could do another pup though :roll: :lol: Dave
Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Brenda Dom » Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:54 pm

Dave wrote:One would probably do :o I am not sure I could do another pup though :roll: :lol: Dave

Dave:

Levi's *almost* got you in perfect shape! Another pup would be a piece of cake!

Brenda
Kelcy, Susie, Bodie and Max
"Some of us learn forgiveness by studying the lives of saints. And some of us keep dogs. . . ." - Charles Gusewelle
Brenda Dom
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Postby CJ » Mon Aug 22, 2005 11:13 pm

Kathy wrote:Hmmm, CJ, is the deck really that stacked in favor of politics? Or is there some merit involved in the judging?

Just curious ...!

-Kathy

I'm not saying there is NO merrit to judging, but if you knew how the whole judging network REALLY works... you might wonder at a few things. And I know there are judges that don't cotton to the incrowd or politics. But when you look at where the breed and FTing came from, what the breed was originally bred for/from, the original characteristics of the dog and what is commonly looked for now.... Either we've decided to rewrite the criteria and never bothered to put it down on paper with the AKC..... or..... some things just aren't write in the world of FT. Don't get me wrong, I think it's important to look for some of the things that do come out of FT's (stamina, and innate ability, ect...) but.... well.... I'll stop there. before I open the can the rest of the way... enough worms are on the floor as it is.
CJ
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Return to Hunting/Field Trials