What choke sizes do you use?

For all Brittany hunting/field trial discussion.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

What choke sizes do you use?

Postby Jacksbuddy » Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:40 pm

Last year I bought an o/u with interchangeable tubes. before that I used an Ithaca 37 with mod. choke.
Last season I used an improved cylinder in the bottom and modified in the top. For the most part I had relatively close flushes and everything worked fine. There was the occasional running bird that I could not keep Jack close and had to try a 40+yd shot without much luck. So I am thinking maybe mod/full. I am just curious what you guys use and why.

"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog."
- Edward Hoagland
Jacksbuddy
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby JimC » Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:00 pm

I think its really going to depend a lot on what gauge, shot size and brand of shells you're shooting. Not to mention what time of the season it is and what bird you're hunting.

I just patterned my 28 ga. Ruger Red Label in IC and modified this afternoon and found that with Estate Super Sport Competition Target loads in 7 1/2 shot I'm good out to about 20 yards in IC and 30 yards in modified. Beyond 30 yards I had a couple grouse size holes in my pattern. Since I think most of my grouse shots will be under 30 yards I think I'll stick with this combination for hunting grouse. My range is limited by my 28 gauge, but I need to keep my gun weight and recoil low because of spinal fusion surgery I had in my lower neck a couple of years ago.

I'm going to be doing some more patterning next week with other shot sizes and chokes. I'm hoping to get Ryker out on some game farm pheasants before the season opens.

You might want to check out a site called uplandjournal.com. They have a pretty active BB with a bunch of dye-in-the-wool grouse hunters that can give you a lot of advice. Several of them hunt with Britts.

Jim
JimC
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Postby Jacksbuddy » Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:57 am

Thanks Jim, At first I thought you must be a heck of a shot using a 28ga for grouse. :lol: If I ever decided to use one I might as well just carry the shells and throw them at the birds. I would have just as much luck.
I have been doing quite a bit of trap shooting using different tubes in different barrels but havn't noticed a huge difference in the number of missed birds.
I think patterning is probally the only way to know for sure.

"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog."
- Edward Hoagland
Jacksbuddy
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby JimC » Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:34 am

I hope to improve my shooting. I'm headed up to central Minnesota for a three day wingshooting school this weekend. It's sponsored by RGS and a enviromental learning center, which has a lot of hunting and fishing programs for adults and kids. It appears to be similar to the Orvis school without the bling and at less than half the cost.
JimC
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Postby CJ » Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:01 am

I'm a big "change up" fan myself. I hunted for years with my 12g Winchester mod 23 w/ fixed Mod/Full and did well in most all situations, but that gun hasn't been made for over 20yrs and I really wanted to preserve it, so I got a beater, Stoeger Condor w/ screw chokes. Seems for early season grouse I use skeet & IC, then once pheasant opens (1.5 months into grouse & 1 month into chukar/hun/quail season) I switch to I/C-Mod, and after about a month of ring neck I switch to Mod/Full. Pretty much all I change inbetween is shot & load size. Beleave it or not, there can be a substantial differance in patern w/ the same choke but different shot size and load size. I didn't really test it w/ the wider chokes because I don't vary much w/ shells at that time of year, but with I/C-Mod and larger... theres a very different patern between 7 1/2 or 8 for smaller birds and the 6's I use for whily pheasants. a little less so in my full choke, but still a difference. So what you might want to do is grab a box of everything you shoot, some poster paper, and your tubes and go on out and do the mix & match to see how it'll all pan out in the field. Just remember to write on the paper someplace what combo you used (7 1/2 w/ i/c, ect.... so you can figure out when you get home what the best combos are for which birds at a given time in the season (when they're holding tight or flushing at 30 yrds out). Anyway, that's my LTHO.
CJ
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Return to Hunting/Field Trials