Here's a harrowing tale.

For all Brittany hunting/field trial discussion.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Here's a harrowing tale.

Postby JimC » Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:59 pm

This was in the Minneapolis paper this week. Something that rarely happens, but the possibility is always in the back of your mind when hunting in northern Minnesota.

http://www.startribune.com/stories/531/5696123.html
JimC
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Postby Dave » Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:24 pm

That could happen here . They reintroduced wolves in Yellowstone and we see them frequently . This is a very sore subject locally . If my Britts were attacked I'd probably would have emptied my shotgun and pistol . The same stupid law applies in Montana :? Dave
Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby DualCH Brits » Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:53 pm

Would seem that if you lived in an area that had predators such as wolves coyotes,bobcats,bears and mountain lion ( which I do, although no wolves down here yet) you would a) be cautious enough to know the best times to hunt and the worst times to hunt, b) realize you are sharing your hunting habitat with the other residents of the wilderness. I have had encounters with ALL of the above that are native to the Sierra Nevada range. I have had SEVERAL encounters with the native coyotes especially.

I don't turn dogs loose near sunset, at sunrise or at night. Period. Although I have been tagged and followed in broad daylight by very YOUNG coyotes ( which scamper off when popped with a BB gun or .22) all the attacks have been during prime hunting hours of restriticted available daylight. I know Barb doesn't let Cassie off leash where she lives either because the wolves come right through her yard.

I'm meaning no disrespect but if you are going to play/live in the playground of the "Wild Things" you must do so prepared for the worst and use common sense to minimize risk to you and your hunting partner. RESPECT the wild. I think *Man* is very arrogant indeed to be disgruntled with conservation efforts and think that his disrespect of our planet in general will ultimately be the demise of us all.
JMO
Helen
Wild Mtn Brittanys
Western Pennsylvania
www.wildmtnbrittanys.com
DualCH Brits
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby JimC » Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:12 pm

DualCH Brits wrote:Would seem that if you lived in an area that had predators such as wolves coyotes,bobcats,bears and mountain lion ( which I do, although no wolves down here yet) you would a) be cautious enough to know the best times to hunt and the worst times to hunt, b) realize you are sharing your hunting habitat with the other residents of the wilderness. I have had encounters with ALL of the above that are native to the Sierra Nevada range. I have had SEVERAL encounters with the native coyotes especially.

I don't turn dogs loose near sunset, at sunrise or at night. Period. Although I have been tagged and followed in broad daylight by very YOUNG coyotes ( which scamper off when popped with a BB gun or .22) all the attacks have been during prime hunting hours of restriticted available daylight. I know Barb doesn't let Cassie off leash where she lives either because the wolves come right through her yard.

I'm meaning no disrespect but if you are going to play/live in the playground of the "Wild Things" you must do so prepared for the worst and use common sense to minimize risk to you and your hunting partner. RESPECT the wild. I think *Man* is very arrogant indeed to be disgruntled with conservation efforts and think that his disrespect of our planet in general will ultimately be the demise of us all.
JMO

If only the predators could tell time. I've had encounters with northern MN wolves, coyotes, bobcats and bears in the middle of the morning and in the middle of the afternoon, hours away from sunrise and sunset, on overcast and/or rainy and bright sunny days. The mountain lion encounter was at night, I didn't actually see it just woke up to it's piercing sceam outside my window at about 2AM.

I don't think there's anything in the story to suggest the hunter wasn't using common sense. These animals are out there. We just have to be aware of the possibility of encountering them whenever we're in their habitat. No matter the time of day and or if our dog(s) are with us or not.
JimC
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Postby DualCH Brits » Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:25 pm

I too have had the encounteres at all hours however there are certain times that are higher risk then others. 8)
Nothing in the article suggested that the hunter wasn't using common sense.
Helen
Wild Mtn Brittanys
Western Pennsylvania
www.wildmtnbrittanys.com
DualCH Brits
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby Jacksbuddy » Sun Nov 06, 2005 5:52 am

Good to hear that Buck is going to be ok.
It appears the gov. is taking the right position on this and not going to fine the hunter. I agree with the comment about human arrogance, but we are still a part of nature, when and if the government takes a position that an animal has more rights than humans, then it will be time to redirect our political leaders.
I don't have to worry about wolves in my hunting areas and have never considered bobcats a threat, there are bears and coyotes around. I have never had to draw it and probably never will but when hunting or walking alone I do usually carry my .45.

"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog."
- Edward Hoagland
Jacksbuddy
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Return to Hunting/Field Trials