Teaching a deaf dog to come/quarter/here

For all Brittany hunting/field trial discussion.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Teaching a deaf dog to come/quarter/here

Postby Karen_P » Sun Sep 11, 2005 1:28 pm

Okay....the sad reality has finally sunk in that Zachie is either extremely hard of hearing or completely deaf.

We've been working on his recall at home and with the trainer, and we're no better off than we were 3 weeks ago. I think he has a little hearing left, as he does respond indoors sometimes, although with wood floors and tin ceilings, I'm guessing there's a good deal of vibration in here too, which could make the difference.

I've also been noticing that I use hand signals for everything with him. I didn't even realize it before now, but when I want him to wait/stay, I hold up a hand and issue the command, when I want him to come, I open my arms and issue the command. And he follows the other dogs. He's never the first one out of the house barking or the first one in when called for that matter. He doesn't get up on the bed until you pat the bed, a lot of very subtle things that you probably wouldn't notice if you weren't looking.

Anyway, has anyone successfully taught their Brittany to come using vibrate on an e-collar? I'm thinking a long vibrate for come, 2 short vibrates for "here". I can work with him on a check cord with vibrate instead of the command, and then vibrate and the correction.

He's such a wonderful dog that it upsets me to think that he's going to spend the rest of his life in our little fenced yard instead of running the fields and hunting because he can't hear.
Home of DC Britt Haven's Blaze of Glory
http://www.woodlandbrittanys.com
Karen_P
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Jeanne » Sun Sep 11, 2005 5:20 pm

Karen,

I don't see why not. He already understands hand signals. If you taught him to check with you on the vibration, just like teaching a dog that yes! or the click with a clicker means a treat. Vibrate and when he looks at you give him a reward and then stretch it out from there. We have used the vibration feature almost exclusively while training our Tara to be steady and she is doing great with it.

I am sure there are others who have more exprerience training a deaf dog, but I am sure it is doable!!
Jeanne
Jeanne
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Return to Hunting/Field Trials