Courage got it!!!

For all Brittany hunting/field trial discussion.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Courage got it!!!

Postby Karen_P » Sun Oct 02, 2005 2:25 pm

We've put him on lots of birds lately, let him flush and chase (although he hasn't gone more than 10 feet), his field obedience is excellent so I haven't used the e-collar on him since the day after I brought him home from training 5 months ago (it was the only time he tested me) but he still wears it every single time he's on the ground, and he got it today!!!

It all just clicked! I didn't have to play tug-of-war with him to get him out of the crate, he didn't try to sneak back in once he was on the ground, and he was running...really running! Rimming fields, running hedge rows, thoroughly hunting every inch of the fields, and most importantly, having a great time! Tail up, head up, cheeks puffing looking for scent. I thought his trainer was going to cry!

He's really on a roll. He improves 10 fold each week! At this rate, he'll be running trials in the spring too!
Home of DC Britt Haven's Blaze of Glory
http://www.woodlandbrittanys.com
Karen_P
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Dave » Sun Oct 02, 2005 5:36 pm

Way to go Courage :!: :D I figured it would just click one day , I'm glad to hear this . 8) Dave
Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Karen_P » Sun Oct 02, 2005 5:39 pm

See, I really do need that horse! :D
Karen_P
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Jacksbuddy » Mon Oct 03, 2005 3:27 pm

Thats great. Sounds like they are going to keep you really busy.

"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog."
- Edward Hoagland
Jacksbuddy
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Karen_P » Sun Oct 16, 2005 3:25 pm

Courage's range DOUBLED since last time I ran him! He had 4 finds today and got so excited he finally started chasing birds (we've been waiting MONTHS for him to chase), and we were finally able to fire a gun over him. And he handles like a dream! He knows that when I blow the whistle it means run like heck, HO! means come around. He listens 100% of the time. I no longer have that sick pit in my stomach when he's out of my line of sight. I just keep going on the ATV and know he's going to cross my path any second.

I can't tell you how excited I am! His trainer was telling everyone at the club yesterday and today that they HAD to watch "that Courage dog run".

I think we'll just continue doing what we're doing for the next few weeks, then move on to steadying him to wing and shot. That should be fun since I'm going to forbid the trainer from using the e-collar on him. Pete still can't get over how far he's come in 2 months. He never dreamed he'd amount to being the least bit competitive. Now he's running better than half of his string.

Blaze, on the other hand, is a pointer disguised as a Brittany. Pete told me today he's every bit as tough as the toughest pointer he's ever trained. He said he's going to be good, but he's completely unforgiving on handling mistakes and is going to be a challenge to keep steady to wing and shot. Oh fun!!
Karen_P
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Dave » Sun Oct 16, 2005 7:58 pm

A bullheaded Brittany :?: no way :lol: I'm glad to hear Courage is still doing well . Give those dogs a big pet for me . 8) Dave
Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby rons » Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:05 pm

Hi Karen, I've been reading your progress with Courage for several weeks. Courage has came a long way. It's strange how one day it all clicks for them and they turn into a hunting machine. Good luck on your field trialing. I use to field trial over 30 years ago and it was fun. Down in this region field trials dogs were only English Pointer, German Shorthairs, and a few English Setters, never seen a Brittany. I had a large GSP that would range about 2 miles if you let him and a English Setter that ranged a little closer. We would travel to trials in 4-5 states. You'll meet a lot of good people at the trials.
rons
Puppy

Postby DualCH Brits » Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:42 pm

Go Courage and Karen!!! Didn't I hear that you bought your horse recently?? Sounds like you will need him!!
Helen
Wild Mtn Brittanys
Western Pennsylvania
www.wildmtnbrittanys.com
DualCH Brits
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby Karen_P » Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:12 pm

I bought a horse a month ago...now I'm learning to ride! Okay, doing things a little backwards (for a change :D ), but it'll work out in the end I'm sure.

And I just might take you up on that scout offer! If we can get Courage broke, I'm gonna need one.
Karen_P
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Return to Hunting/Field Trials