Reccomendations for GPS pet tracker?

For all Brittany hunting/field trial discussion.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Reccomendations for GPS pet tracker?

Postby Kathy » Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:39 pm

Hi,
My foster got away from us last night, 6:15 pm, very dark and rainy. I was just leaving work to go to a "smoozing" dinner meeting with out of town business visitors and I got the call from my husband. (Imagine your classic 911 call - yelling, not an intelligible word and it all breaking up over the cell phone.) Anyway, I got home in a record 18 minutes (and no traffic tickets; my old taurus can still make 90 mph).

Found Buddy in the wood about a quarter mile from my house, after an hour & 1/2 of searching on foot. He was fine, very wet, very muddy but thrilled with his great adventure. I don't know how he made it across the busy road that we live by ... My guardian angel is working overtime.

So, I was web searching for a pet tracker. Anyone have any reccomendations for an affordable GPS pet tracker?

-Kathy

PS - After all that, I had to go back to the smoozing dinner and power socialize, after apologizing for the family emergency. I really wanted to sit down and cry ...
Kathy
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Karen_P » Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:50 pm

Most of the tracking collars you see at field trials and such run $500-$1000 each and aren't something I'd leave on 24/7.

I found this link which was interesting:

http://www.globalpetfinder.com/default.html

Not cheap by any stretch $350 + $18/mo. but it looks really cool and uses cell phone triangulation technology I believe. If this company is out there, there's got to be a dozen others like it too.
Home of DC Britt Haven's Blaze of Glory
http://www.woodlandbrittanys.com
Karen_P
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby CJ » Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:21 pm

Also, those ones for FT's are not GPS, and if you've never used one... they are more of an art form than plug and play techonology. A friend is a dealer for Tracker and let me demo one over a long weekend. He's great with them, but I was at my wits end by the second day. And like Karen said, they're not for constant use (batteries would have to be changed pretty regularly) and I don't remember if they are water proof or not. The antenas can get caught on things too during normal use.
If I were to get one, it would be a GPS unit. I don't know that GPS and affordable are allowed in the same sentance yet. These things used to cost upwards of $600 per unit. When I had checked into them before, I found that you have to have a cellphone or PDA that is GPS capable and have GPS service via your cellphone provider. That said, expect that there will be additional costs past the unit purchase price & the monthly service fee form pet finder.
If anyone actually has one of these or gets one, let me know what it all ends up costing to use it. Looks like a great thing.
CJ
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Postby harleygrl1219 » Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:22 pm

WOW... I never new anything like this existed. If anyone gets one let me know.
harleygrl1219
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Return to Hunting/Field Trials