Found a Trainer

For all Brittany hunting/field trial discussion.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Found a Trainer

Postby Karen_P » Fri Jul 02, 2004 10:08 pm

Based on recommendations from breeders in my area, I've located a trainer who is about an hour away. He works with both the dog and the owner, but prefers that he keep the dog for 2 1/2-3 months straight for training. He says the dog slides too much if you do it at 1 month intervals and the training takes longer to finish than it should.

How do you part with your beloved pet for 3 months?!?
Karen_P
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Parting with your dog

Postby amroberts8 » Sat Jul 03, 2004 6:51 am

Parting with your dog for that extended period of time will be tough, but will have its upsides as well. That is a long time for the dog to be with a trainer...make sure that your expectations are very clear as to what you want done while the dog is under his/her care. I would strongly recommend going to work with the dog at least once a week, twice would be better. Too often, people leave the dog with a trainer expecting to return and pick up a polished bird dog. In these cases, the dog may perform like a champion under the guidence of the trainer, and while on the land that it has become used to training on. When brought to the field, they might act like a different animal all together. I would make certain that you and the trainer work the dog on different areas of land if possible. Remember, these are very smart dogs, who relate many things including bird finds, commands, and places. A dog may turn on a whistle perfectly, but if it is done in the same area all the time, it may begin to relate the whistle and command with the field. I hope this helps!!!! Just out of curiosity, how old is the dog, and what will the trainer be doing with him/her?

Best,
Drew
amroberts8
Puppy

Postby amroberts8 » Sat Jul 03, 2004 9:06 am

You can never plan too early :) You may want to consider working with her before you think about sending her to the trainer. When she gets older, you can teach her basics right at home. If you teach her whoa, here and heel (at least so that she knows what they mean) it will be advantagous when you begin your field training. Do you have any pictures of her? My wife would love to see them!!!
We never truly own a dog as much as the dog owns us
amroberts8
Puppy

Postby Karen_P » Sat Jul 03, 2004 9:23 am

The breeder she's coming from said that he'd show me what I need to do to get her started in that first year, so between the breeder and an occasional visit to the trainer to make sure we're on track, I'm hoping to have her well-started by the time she goes away for training. The breeder is about 45 minutes away from me, so he's close enough to visit frequently for help.

The trainer also recommended a hunt club that is designed specifically for pointing dogs and has many Brittany members. We're suppose to be moving close to it in the next couple of months, so as soon as we're settled in our new home, I'll definitely be looking into a membership there.

The breeder asked us to wait to visit until the pups are 4 weeks old, so we'll be taking lots of pictures when we're there, and will be present when the litters are graded on August 21st. He actually had a litter on Thursday and one on Friday so we'll get the best female out of both litters (a total of 7 to choose from). Both pedigrees are impressive but very different. I have another breeder whom I respect pouring over the pedigrees to see what she'd do if everything is equal between a dog from each litter.
Karen_P
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby CJ » Sat Jul 03, 2004 12:48 pm

Something to consider now (and ask about once you've figure it out) is if you are going to trial or test.... they are very different competitions. If you are going to test and/or field trial, will you be doing so on horseback or on foot (only an option for trials... test are all on foot)? If on foot, you may want to look for "gun dog" field trial titles, or ask about the types of field trials the parents earned. If they were "all age horse back" you should expect a lonnnnggggg ranging dog that you'll need to handle on horseback (or have handled by a pro trainer/handler on horseback). A number of "amature" field titles "AFC" (maybe not out east...) are foot trials. Anyway.... There are a good many dogs that can do both open all age FC and get hunt test titles, but generaly they're done one after the other because it requires "reeling" the dog in and somewhat retraining them a bit. But an AFC or better yet, a NGDC or GDSC (can't remember which is the title for gun dogs). The upside to that would be being able to run the dog in test and trials during the same season without much, if any, tuning to do because the range should be similar for both. Anyway, just a thought.... good luck picking your puppy! I'm excited for you!
c.j.
P.S.
I totally agree with Drew, get up there at least once a week to train.... if you can train more than that, great... but at least once a week and an ear rubbing visit would help keep that "bond" going. I've had to leave my dogs for 2-3 months before and it's not fun, but they were home with my wife while I was out of the country for work.... It sucked so you have my empathy, but this will have a great upside to it for you at the end....
CJ
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Postby Jeanne » Sat Jul 03, 2004 12:51 pm

It sounds like you are planning well ahead... and that ought to help with the seperation when it occurs. It also sounds like you will have established a good working relationship with your trainer long before she leaves.

I am fortunate, especially since I am so new to this, to have found a trainer about 45 minutes from me here is West Michigan that trains you with your dog. Its either pay as you go or pay for the season and then pay for your birds for each lesson. Its been great for both me and the girls.

My Tara (13 months old) has a lot of potential and it was suggested earlier this year that we send her to the Dakotas with a professional trainer for a month. My husband would not even consider letting her go that far away for that long - I thought it would be awesome but only if I could go with her!

Right now Dee and I are training for Senior Hunt Tests in the fall. Tara is doing really well and may be ready to go for Senior as well. (We had gotten one leg towards our Junior when I broke my foot last month). I am also hoping once she is broke to compete in Gun Dog Stakes. Are you planning on training your Tara for Field Trials? All-Age or Gun Dog? Mine could probably do All-Age, but I will be real happy with Gun Dog. I am uncomfortable with my dog being out of my sight and the endless stories of dogs being lost has not made me any less nervous.

I am really looking forward to hearing about how you choose your puppy. We were last in line for females with both of ours which made it really easy! Best of luck with her and am really looking forward to the pictures.
Jeanne
Jeanne
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Postby Karen_P » Sat Jul 03, 2004 4:45 pm

The breeder she's coming from hunt tests his breeding stock and hunts with them regularly. Looking at the 5 generation pedigree, Litter #1 has 42 show champs with 10 hunt & field titles mixed in.

Litter #2's pedigree has 25 hunt & field titles and 33 show champs (some are dual), but is a first time breeding where the other is a repeat.

The dam of litter #1 is sister to the sire of litter #2 (so hows that for confusing!).

We'll get the pup that appears to have the best conformation in the bunch and hope for the best.

As for tests or trials....I just don't know yet. I need to do more research and then I'll make that decision in six months or so.
Karen_P
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Jeanne » Sat Jul 03, 2004 6:39 pm

Wow - very impressive pedigrees! I am sure you will get good advise from the breeder and your other friend on picking your puppy, but don't forget personality. She is going to be a member of your family first and foremost, long after her show or hunt career is over.

And - I just had to go and look at my Tara's pedigree after reading your post. She has 8 Dual Champions (some of these are also have AFC and Hunt test titles), 4 FC/AFC titles, and just one show champion. But what is even nicer is that her Great-great Grandma on her Mom's side belonged to another member of my Brittany Club so I know that even the ones without titles that were out of her were well thought of hunting dogs.
Jeanne
Jeanne
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Postby JimC » Sat Jul 03, 2004 11:51 pm

We'd have a really hard time sending Ryker away for a month or two. He's become so much a part of our family. We've had four sessions with our trainer in the last five weekends. Session five is on Monday. I handle him and the trainer directs us both.

We usually do three exercises over about two hours. With Ryker on a check cord, he hunts two pigeons in remote control launchers a couple of hundred yards apart. I only direct him to get him downwind of the birds. Once he picks up the scent he steers right in to each bird and stalks until he locks on a hard point about 10 to 12 feet from the bird. Jim, the trainer releases the bird after Ryker holds point for a minute or two. Jim fires four or five rounds from his starter pistol and Ryker goes after the bird when he gets a verbal release. Ryker only reacted to the shots the first time we did this. We hunt up the two birds and then head back to the trucks for water and a break. We do this again and after another break work on something like e-collar control or he roads for a mile or two. During the week I work with him on obedience or getting him to bring a dead quail to me.

The plan on Monday is to replace the pigeons with quail. Jim will shoot the released quail and we'll see if he reacts to the shotgun and what he does with the bird when it falls and doesn't keep on flying like the pigeons do.

I don't know Ryker's pedigree but Jim thinks he hunts and responds like a Maverick. He's natural pointer, with a great nose and quarters well. We pay a flat rate per session, plus birds. Just the quail, the pigeons are homing pigeons. This is a great set-up and works real well for us.
JimC
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Return to Hunting/Field Trials