Tara get her first Field Trail Placement

For all Brittany hunting/field trial discussion.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Tara get her first Field Trail Placement

Postby Jeanne » Mon Aug 30, 2004 11:51 am

Tara and I got our very first Field Trail Placement in Open Derby at Ionia yesterday. She placed THIRD out of 19 starters!!! We are very very proud of her.

It was the first time I have run her that I wasn't scared for her safety. She showed me early on that she knew where I was and responded very well to my commands. So I relaxed and let her range out. She found 4 birds in all, including a hawk kill. The first one she bumped, the second one I couldn't find and never saw although I fired my blank pistol when I heard the judges say there it goes! The third one she had a beautiful point and was holding steady waiting for me until her bracemate bumped it up. Then on the way back she pointed and picked up a fresh hawk kill.

One of the judges told me she did a very nice job especially since she was foot handled. So maybe at her next one in two weeks we'll try riding a horse.
Jeanne
Jeanne
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Postby CJ » Mon Aug 30, 2004 12:19 pm

Congrats!!!!!!! That's awesome.... and sounds like (as I found myself) addicting.... LOL. I'll bet she had a blast too. That's supposed to be a beautiful course for bird work (only read about it, never been). Anywho, great news, wishing you more and better placements in the future...
CJ
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Postby Jeanne » Mon Aug 30, 2004 1:19 pm

CJ,

Thanks so much!! She was a VERY HAPPY dog.
Jeanne
Jeanne
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Postby Barb Wright » Mon Aug 30, 2004 2:14 pm

Jeanne: WOW, how proud you must be 8) And it sounds like soooo much fun :) So, now you are going to need a couple horses to follow your hunter around, right :P Congratulations, nothing like "doing good" to get the wind in your sails 8)
Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Postby Dave » Mon Aug 30, 2004 2:40 pm

Congratulations :P These dogs are poetry in motion when they are trained and handled well . Good luck and give that dog a big pet :wink: Dave
Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby DualCH Brits » Wed Nov 17, 2004 1:48 pm

Awesome news!! And that Yellow ribbon is really somethng to be proud of! Sounds like you have the makings of a fine Gun Dog on your hands!! You hooked now? HOw have you done since then? I'm still catching up on things since I have returned to the board so please excuse my tardy congratulations!!
Helen
Wild Mtn Brittanys
Western Pennsylvania
www.wildmtnbrittanys.com
DualCH Brits
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby Jeanne » Fri Nov 19, 2004 9:12 am

Helen,

We were so thrilled with her first placement. Before that she got an honorable mention at in Open Puppy and we thought that was just wonderful. Since her placement at the end of August she has run in two more Derbys. I tried handling on horseback and that sure did increase her range. The first time she didn't have any finds but both the judges had very nice things to say about her. Since one of the judges bred Tara's father I was really pleased. The next one I also rode - she was pretty fruitloopy that day, but had a nice find. I on the other hand didn't do so well, the bird flushed as I was riding up and one of the judges yelled at me to fire so I did from horseback. However, she placed fourth out of 15 starters so I was pretty pleased.

We also went to 4 Hunt Tests. She had gotten one leg last Spring before I broke my foot and I wanted to finish her JH before we start breaking her next Spring. She did really well, except for one day that was brutally hot and humid with no wind whatsoever! She did fine the next day, however, when we had at least a little bit of a breeze. She finished up her JH a few weeks later with perfect scores of 10 one day and 8's and 9's the next.

We are pretty well hooked. I was going to take her to LaSalles FT and had entered her in Walking Derby and Open Derby, but she came into heat so we have been on a break. We are going to Highland the first weekend of December for two Walking Derby's (Mom really does do better on foot!!) so that should be fun. She has a lot of potential and except for the times she has scared us half to death, lot of fun.

Here is a link to a picture of Tara. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v403/ ... 000026.jpg
Jeanne
Jeanne
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Postby DualCH Brits » Thu Nov 25, 2004 8:42 pm

Sounds like you have a really nice pup there. Keep up the good work and welcome to the boat...( I'll let Brian explain that one!! :lol:
Helen
Wild Mtn Brittanys
Western Pennsylvania
www.wildmtnbrittanys.com
DualCH Brits
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Return to Hunting/Field Trials