Choosing a Trainer

For all Brittany hunting/field trial discussion.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Choosing a Trainer

Postby Carver Brittanys » Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:28 pm

What questions do you ask a potential trainer? I have a pup that needs to go to puppy bird camp and I really want to find a good one. I am in MN so if anyone has any recommendations, I will take that too.
CH Bar Lo's Fax Me To The Border JH and Magnum Shoshoni Ruby Tuesday (Reno and Ruby)
Carver Brittanys
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Postby Karen_P » Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:50 pm

Have you spoken to Bob Burchette(sp?) in IA? He's probably one of the absolute best in your area. Trains and handles LOTS of dogs and wins a lot. I've never met him but I've heard good things about him and the dogs he trains and handles.

Ask for pictures of the kennels & training grounds. Ask about his training schedule, how often and for how long each session is. If you're looking at summer camp, find out what's included, what isn't, how many birds, if there's an extra charge for going over and what the goal is. Ask who his vet is, ask for references, what records are required, how they handle sick dogs and emergencies.

Ask about his training philosophies. Is he a start low and work his way up as needed guy or a start high stay high kind of guy (e-collars). And ask him about teaching you what your dog has learned. Ask about safety, does he run the dogs with tracking collars, does he train off of horseback or ATV (I prefer ATV...you can get where you need to be faster and safer).
Home of DC Britt Haven's Blaze of Glory
http://www.woodlandbrittanys.com
Karen_P
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby JimC » Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:42 am

Ryker's trainer lives in the eastern Twin Cities Metro area and trains just north of Stacy. He's great. My Vet recommended him because he works well with "soft" dogs, like Britts. Ryker had some issues from previous owners and he tailored the training to meet Ryker's needs and personality. Ryker and I did weekly sessions with him so that I knew what he was capable of and how to best work with him in the field. We go back for a few weekends every summer for a tune up. PM me if you'd like his name and number.
JimC
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Postby tailfeathers » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:31 pm

One of the top handlers that I have dealt with is Clyde and Marilyn Vetter, SharpShooter Kennels, New Richmond ,WI. Just look at www.sharpshooterkennels.com and see what this guy has done in the NAVHDA arena. He is a top judge as well. Good luck.
tailfeathers
Puppy

Postby NancyH » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:38 pm

How about one in California? I've heard of a couple but looking for suggestions from my friends.
NancyH
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby Karen_P » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:40 pm

I've heard Paul Doiron is very good.
Karen_P
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Lisa » Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:09 pm

Nancy,
You might check with Liz Rohnstock (a CA-ABR volunteer) and see who she worked with. Cooper earned his JH title pretty quickly and I know Liz was pleased with the trainer.
Image Image RIP Madi
Charm-future agility champ
Britty- RIP March 27, 2014
Buster-CGC, OA, OF, NAJ, APK, APJ, APG, APR, PD
Lisa

Postby Dave » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:39 am

If you would send a dog to Mt. , I recomend Big Sky Britts . I'd even go help . http://www.bigskybrits.com/ :P Dave
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers
Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Karen_P » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:45 am

There's also Ed Tillson in California. He has a very good reputation also.
Karen_P
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Return to Hunting/Field Trials