Brittanys used for tracking

For all Brittany hunting/field trial discussion.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Brittanys used for tracking

Postby Dave » Mon Oct 25, 2004 2:42 pm

Hi, I'll probably get a laugh out of this . Has anyone ever trained a Brittany for tracking ? By this I mean for rescue work or other applications. I can only think of a couple Breeds with a better nose :lol: In my application I was reading an article sometime ago in my Bowhunting magazine about groups back in the east that train dogs for tracking wounded deer . They have a better than 90% rate of recovery on verified hits on deer . They like to use wirehair daschounds cause they get in and out the brush so well . I know I can obedience train my Britts well :) Thanks Dave
Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Kristy » Tue Oct 26, 2004 7:13 am

I saw the Brittany "Breed All About It" show, where the dog was hired by US Customs in California to search for fruit hidden in packages. That was fun to watch.
Riley & Colby
Kristy
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Postby Bernie's mom » Tue Oct 26, 2004 12:00 pm

I wish we could have used to Bernie to trail a deer, but it's illegal to use dogs to run deer, or trail them, it's all the same if a warden sees it. I think any dog can be used for rescue if they're trained... look at how many rescues are now rescue dogs, or helper dogs for the blind and disabled... I also am glad to see that these dogs are trained by inmates in some places, I like to see the inmates doing something good for the community, and who doesn't like working with animals!
Bernie 11/30/03-12/12/15
Bernie's mom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby CJ » Tue Oct 26, 2004 12:48 pm

Never trained one for that, or seen one trained.... but I just read someplace very recently (can't remember where) about dogs being trained for search & rescue in CO..... I'll have to find that article if I read it at home.....
CJ
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Postby Dave » Tue Oct 26, 2004 2:27 pm

I checked my old magazines and found the website . deersearch.org and they have people in Wisconsin that are available in the club :) The dogs have to be on leash and no weapons can be carried . Dave
Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Return to Hunting/Field Trials