Tail wags and waves

For all Brittany hunting/field trial discussion.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Tail wags and waves

Postby Barb Wright » Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:45 pm

Got a question for all of you who actually hunt your dogs, either privately or engage in field trials and hunt tests. When the dog makes the find and hits that rock solid point is the tail absolutely still as well???? Or does it quiver, wag, or wave slightly???? Or have you observed other pointing breeds at work who have tails....did the tail go still during the point???

And, while I've got your attention :wink: Say the dog has been working hard for 10-15 minutes and then makes a find, do they continue to pant with open mouth or does the mouth close when they freeze on point??? I have a hard time imagining them trying to recover their breath with their mouth closed, but I know part of predation is stillness, and a lolling tongue and panting is not exactly equated with stealth.

I don't hunt Cassie, and her hunting endeavors have rarely entailed a great deal of prior activity, but if my memory serves me correctly.....in truth it can't always be trusted anymore :wink:......when she goes on point her mouth is closed. Interested to know what you all have observed.
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13
Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Postby AuntieMom » Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:21 pm

Barb, Barb, Barb. You are so funny. Rock solid point? What is that? Scout flushes.

My husband says he can always tell when Scout is on the trail of a bird. Scout's tail start wagging as he's sniffing. He is all business when he is on the scent of birds, even if his tail is wagging he is alert and keen on finding it. But Scout gets this relaxed happy look if he is on the scent of a mouse or rabbit.
AuntieMom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby jwmkem » Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:16 am

When our dogs smell a grouse,etc their tails start wagging .......the wagging gets a little faster the closer they get and when they lock on and point, their tail is perfectly still. Most of the time if they hold their point like they are supposed to, the tail stays very still....... I love seeing our dogs get birdy and get excited about finding the scent of a grouse, those little tails are movin' and they are having a great time.
jwmkem
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Postby Jacksbuddy » Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:26 am

Thats funny Jacks the opposite, his tail wags constantly while searching, when he hits scent of a close bird his posture changes. usually his head will drop as he position himself for a point at which time he usually locks up solid.
As we all know these guys run about 100mph and by far my favorite points are the ones when he is on a dead run down a row and he hits scent to his left or right, his head snaps to the side and his body freezes as he hits the brakes and his butt will pass his head as the momentum carries through.
I have seen him slide four -five feet before coming to a stop, backtrack a few steps then present a solid point. 8)

"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog."
- Edward Hoagland
Jacksbuddy
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Dave » Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:55 pm

I had the opportunity to watch and help a field trial trainer today :) . His dogs pointed rock solid and didn't move .He had two working the field together and when one froze the other honored point never budging . Talk about a sight . Neither dog flushed , Auntie :wink: .

Now Levi is a different story . I've not trained him at all until today . He was on a check cord . He found the planted bird ( Pigeon ) and was holding a beautiful point . As I walked up he lunged forward and grabbed the bird :roll: :? . He brought it to me and dropped it when I said "Leave It ". I was embarassed to say the least . The bird wasn't harmed too badly and flew back to his roost :P At least he knows leave it command well .

Little Rocket did great . He found and pointed two birds and didn't even flinch with the cap gun . We tried the 20 guage at the end of the day and he didn't react that time either . He will be a star someday .

Levi might end up being a good hunting companion though . I have him pretty well obedience trained and he has great instincts . If I wasn't so busy Rescueing and Bowhunting ..... 8) Dave
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers
Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby AuntieMom » Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:19 pm

Dave wrote:Neither dog flushed , Auntie :wink: Dave
I think we have the only flushing Brittany there is. He won't win any field trials with his form, but he's our boy and we love him. :D
AuntieMom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby adele » Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:03 pm

Oh no you don't. Lola will flush a bird after she gets tired of pointing it. She has no hunting training at all. If she points a bird I cannot make her move, but when she decides enough is enough she'll hop in and flush it. Then its yip yip yip and the chase is on.

As for her tail it vibrates when she has the scent of something but when she's pointing she is rock solid. Her mouth is closed. She is soooo funny. If there are tracks in the snow her nose goes into the footprint and her tail vibrates. She lifts her head, her tail stops, she puts her nose into the next print and her tail vibrates again. Head up, tail stops. Its hilarious to watch. If she is pointing pheasant her muscles are tense and nothing moves. If she is pointing a squirrel or something she still points but her muscles are relaxed. Its easy to tell when she is on a pheasant.
adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Return to Hunting/Field Trials