Born to Hunt

For all Brittany hunting/field trial discussion.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Born to Hunt

Postby Dave » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:33 am

Now I understand what that term means . I spent my Sunday visiting a training Kennel and helping work and test a Rescue pup , Rocket AKA Riley . It was quite an experience . The trainer has a nice dog trailer with ports / built in Kennels for his Brittanys . He is a serious Field Trialer . His main dog is a Dual Chamion and I believe one of the first in Mt. The dogs call name is Huck short for Huckleberry . I thought I understood how to handle a Bird dog :shock: . I am a proficient obedience trainer , but watching a field champion dog work is a humbling experience for someone who just hunts a couple of weeks a year . I have hung up my shot guns since Amber passed away . That will be 7 years this coming Fall .

That Field Trialing could be addicting . I am going to one in Great Falls , Mt. the 26th . I might go crazy and buy an almost finsished gun dog . I know Levi will hunt , esp. if he's with a trained dog . :wink: 8) Dave
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers
Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Jacksbuddy » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:43 pm

I know what you are saying 8) , but I am not going to give up hunting over these guys to do it. I personally feel that some of the joy of watching these dogs work is lost in the competivness of the sport.
But then if it wasn't for trialers the "hunt" in these guys would be long lost.

"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog."
- Edward Hoagland
Jacksbuddy
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby DualCH Brits » Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:40 am

Aaahhh...Dave you probably should have bought that "Ica" dog from Todd a few years back...you would now be knee deep in Field trial hock and just as addicted :twisted:

I'M STILL MAD that he never bothered to contact me when he decided she wasn't going to fit into his breeding program ( even though he was under contract to do so) ...I would have purchased her back in a HEARTBEAT.

But yes, watching the poetry of a well broke Champion doing his job is an absolute aphrodesiac!! ( sp?)

Why don't you get that pro to just train Levi instead of buying another dog for the job?
Helen
Wild Mtn Brittanys
Western Pennsylvania
www.wildmtnbrittanys.com
DualCH Brits
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby Dave » Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:05 am

Aaahhh...Dave you probably should have bought that "Ica" dog from Todd a few years back...you would now be knee deep in Field trial hock and just as addicted

I was going to , but I was spending my money ( extramoney ) on Rescue and couldn't afford her . He wanted $1000 for her . I know she was worth it ......

I am going to train Levi . I have him so used to walking on a flexi , he didn't catch on real quickly that we were looking for birds the other day :roll: . If I wanted him to ignore the birds he would have been racing around . :P Dave
-Will Rogers
Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby CJ » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:09 pm

HT & FT is addictive, and that's an understatement. I'll toss in the word frustrating too (from time to time), and expensive.... and time consuming. But.... that all said, I'm going to NM this month, CA next month, one here in March, and then back to CA at the end of March for two more. Maybe CO in there some place too. But I'm not addicted..... All those other people are, but not me.... I can stop any time I want too... I just don't want to right now......
:wink: There's a lot of great folks to meet(and a few bung ho's too). Some great judges and a few that need eye exams. And lots of pretty country to see and wathc the dogs run on.
Come on Dave, pull the trigger.... get that dog.... get that dog..... come to the dark side Luke... it is your destiny.... LOL :roll:
CJ
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Postby DualCH Brits » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:23 pm

Oh Lordy...CJ you are infected and in DENIAL about it!!!!! AT least I can admit that I have a problem and need help<GG>

Come on Dave...how about a pup instead....got one here with your name on him..... :twisted: Guaranteed to love you, give you puppy breath kisses, born to hunt and run with the wind AND DRAIN YOUR BANK ACCOUNT on an ongoing and steady basis. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Helen
Wild Mtn Brittanys
Western Pennsylvania
www.wildmtnbrittanys.com
DualCH Brits
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby Dave » Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:33 pm

"Brits on Point" , right here has a couple of pups that I was eyeballing . I thought to myself , "I must be crazy " He also has a one year old started gun dog that doesn't range far enough for him . She is just a sweety too .

Riley has great potential and it's a shame I'm having him nuetered . He is a Brittany you would like to keep and see his pups .

It is a good thing I can't buy a dog with my credit card , and I'm glad you are in PA. Helen :wink: :P Dave
-Will Rogers
Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby DualCH Brits » Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:41 pm

it's a shame I'm having him nuetered . He is a Brittany you would like to keep and see his pups .

That won't change any of his born talent or potential to shine. :D AND you CAN Hunt Test a dog with and ILP # you know.....
Helen
Wild Mtn Brittanys
Western Pennsylvania
www.wildmtnbrittanys.com
DualCH Brits
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Return to Hunting/Field Trials