Can't get em all.

For all Brittany hunting/field trial discussion.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Can't get em all.

Postby Jacksbuddy » Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:51 pm

Poor Jack, he put on a good point and then I got the brilliant idea that I would put my gun down and get out the camera and a buddy would move over and make the flush.
After about two minutes of fooling around and just as I got the camera turned on the bird decides it has had enough and moves and that is all it took for Jack to charge in :lol: and my hunting partner misses the bird. Oh well.

http://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l4/tn ... sabird.flv

"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog."
- Edward Hoagland
Jacksbuddy
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby DualCH Brits » Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:07 pm

Ooops....oh well ;-) You will have that memory in your mind's eye for quite a long time tho.... :wink:

What a beautiful day for bird doggin, uh? Tomorrow Brian and I are going to a little hunt club outside of Uniontown to participate in a "Chukar Challenge" with the retired boy. Two hunters, one dog, 6 shells each and 30 minutes to bag 6 birds.... :shock:

This is just for pure fun. I'm excited...although hubbie will have to do 90% if not ALL of the shooting. I can't seem to hit the broad side a barn :roll:

Taking the retired boy (Dutch) and a couple of young dogs to play with. Looks like the weather might cooperate. Sure is gonn abeat sitting home and watching football.....
Helen
Wild Mtn Brittanys
Western Pennsylvania
www.wildmtnbrittanys.com
DualCH Brits
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby Jacksbuddy » Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:39 pm

Thats why they call it hunting and not getting. :)
Have fun at the challenge. They are a lot of fun although the few I have done were set up differently. Four person teams, two 90 minute braces of twenty birds each for a total of forty birds. The winner is decided by the total number of bagged birds and the tie breaker if necessary it shot count. Last year when we did it we got 38 out of forty with a shot count in the high nineties and lost to a team running three dogs that got 39 birds.
I know, thats a lot of humping for one dog and I am being more aware of what I ask him to do even though he never wants to quit.

"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog."
- Edward Hoagland
Jacksbuddy
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Cindy » Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:21 pm

Looks to me like you got the best "shots!" At least you didn't miss. :wink:
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Postby Muddy Creek Britts » Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:30 pm

Great video, Tim. Makes me want to break out the old bathing suit and sneakers and go wandering through the tall grass and briars again. :P

I might have to take the pups out to the gameland on your side of the Susquehanna. I'm sure there has got to be a couple cocks that never got shot. Unless the hawks got any leftovers by now. I know there's a few hens leftover at the gamelands where I usually go on my side of the river.
Brian
Muddy Creek Britts
"When a dog runs at you, whistle for him." ~~Henry David Thoreau
Muddy Creek Britts
Zinger
Zinger

Postby Brenda Dom » Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:19 pm

Lookin' good, Jack! Too bad your human missed. :lol: :wink:

Brenda
Kelcy, Susie, Bodie and Max
"Some of us learn forgiveness by studying the lives of saints. And some of us keep dogs. . . ." - Charles Gusewelle
Brenda Dom
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Postby AuntieMom » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:08 pm

Jack's thoughts: "What the heck is wrong with Dad? I was bred to be a gun dog not a camera dog! :roll:" :P
AuntieMom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Barb Wright » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:18 pm

:lol: :lol: Despite the human inadequacies :P it was great to see Jack work 8) 8) Wonderful video :D
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13
Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Postby Lorie » Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:04 am

Great video, thanks for sharing :D :D.
Lorie

"Yesterday I was a dog. Today I'm a dog. Tomorrow I will probably be a dog. Sigh! There's so little room for advancement."
Snoopy
Lorie
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Jacksbuddy » Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:03 pm

Thanks for the replies, Jack fully expects that after a shot the bird is supposed to fall to the ground so he can catch it and bring it back.
I don't know if anyone noticed but he barks after the miss and the bird keeps going.. I am not sure if I really want to know what he was really saying :lol: .

Heres another one Barb, I remember you asking what our dogs do on a point. We had winged a chukar that managed to keep going. After about fifteen minutes or so Jack located it on the edge of some corn stubble. He almost ran past it but spun and locked up on point with his nose 18" from the bird. http://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l4/tn ... chukar.flv
At the end of the chase Jack does the ole pounce to finally catch the bird.
Unfortunately the clip gets grainy with the upload and the camera man isn't very good :roll: .

- Edward Hoagland
Jacksbuddy
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Muddy Creek Britts » Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:20 pm

Is that over at the Hopewell Pheasantry, Tim :?:
Brian
Muddy Creek Britts
"When a dog runs at you, whistle for him." ~~Henry David Thoreau
Muddy Creek Britts
Zinger
Zinger

Postby Jacksbuddy » Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:26 pm

Yes it is, shoot me a PM if your interested in going there in the next couple of months. 8)

- Edward Hoagland
Jacksbuddy
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Jacksbuddy » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:32 pm

8) one more, http://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l4/tn ... scream.flv
I was thinking the same thing :shock: 8) .

- Edward Hoagland
Jacksbuddy
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby HOPE » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:54 am

Great videos! it is great to see Jack in action
Jackie M.
I promise I will be good this year
HOPE
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby CJ » Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:21 pm

LOL, very cool video. I've done similar a few times. The dogs usually will look over their shoulder if the bird takes off without being brought back down, with a look as if to say "ah.... what are you doing? I'm holding up my end, where were you?! hmph! Amature."
CJ
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Return to Hunting/Field Trials